MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time ... stuck a case

Boolit Grand Master

First time ... stuck a case

Darn it. Was sizing RP .223 brass and stuck a case. It is the first time this has happened to me in over 40 years. I always used a Lube pad or Imperial Sizing Wax and this time tried One-Shot. Got about 50 done and then....#$$#%%$##.

I was using Lee dies and buggered up the decapping pin as well trying to get the stuck case out. It was impossible to get the decapping pin out through the top of the die. I ordered three pins from Titan and should be back to it next week. I have about 4000 cases to process.

I feel really stupid.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

It can happen to any one, don’t feel stupid. I have heard stories about One Shot though.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    Been there, done that....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know what it is, but put One Shot on a .223 case and attempt to size it in a Lee die, and you get stuck cases. I got three or four before I gave up on using One Shot.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The decapping/expander is designed to be removed from the bottom or knock a stuck case out. Remove the collet from the top then drive the case out using the expander and a hammer.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    The decapping/expander is designed to be removed from the bottom or knock a stuck case out. Remove the collet from the top then drive the case out using the expander and a hammer.
    That is what I did....managed to bend the expander shaft.

I may ditch the Lee dies and get better ones that allow the decapping pin to be removed from the top. I cannot blame the Lee dies on my error though. I usually only load 100 rifle or less but shooting the AR will require volume loading, No more One Shot for me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Split a nut or rod with the size hole for the lee decapping pins stem and clamp it tight in a vise with this "collet" around it with the die body close to the edge of the jaws, leave a little room. I use a set of small die makers bars and pry the pin out with constant pressure. Once out a sacrificial pin can be used to hammer out or drill and tap cases base 1/4X28 and use a bolt and spacer to pull. I use the scrap pin and put a long 7/8 14 thread connector on the die and into the heavy ahrbor press and push it out. Sometimes a few hours soak in kroil helps to loosen it. Freezing and heating cycles may loosen it as a soking in a copper removing solvent.

Imperial Sizing wax or RandyRat Anhydrous Lanolin and Vas 50/50. hundreds of thousands and nada yet. I have bought a few die sets that had cases stuck in them. I never use Lee dies unless they are my only option.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

In over 35 years of reloading I've managed to only get one case stuck in a sizing die - a 30-06 using one-shot. Happy ending though....I sent the die (from my tried and true Pacific Durachrome set) to Hornady and they removed the case and hooked me up with a zip spindle expander ball upgrade. Great service!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have had problems with one-shot if I follow the directions and let them dry. Spray and run and it works ok.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

One shot does a pretty good job on the hardcasts going through a Lee sizer but having 'almost' stuck a .308 case once was enough for me to get the Imperial sizing wax...I never thought much of my lube pad...too much lube, everywhere.

Sorry for your troubles...and you ain't stupid! You just had a visit from ole Murphy, that's all!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I'm a pretty big fan of most things Hornady, except One Shot. Bought one can and threw it in the garbage after a couple of uses.

Alcohol/Lanolin is THE way to go for any high volume reloading. IMHO

Boolit Master
    LEE has a video on their web sight that shows you how to remove a stuck case. IIRC, you don't take the collet all of the way off and just loosen it and drive the expander out with a pin punch. Don't blame the dies if you don't know how they work. I have done many stuck cases over the years and the LEE's are the easiest to remove them. After using one shot, and sticking cases, I threw it out. All I use now is LEE sizing lube and never tuck anything.

Boolit Master
    Also, if you stick a case while it is in the 'up' position, you will have a real tough time removing the expander as the case is in the neck sizing area and the expander plus the case mouth makes the mouth too small to pull the expander through. I just did an RCBS for a friend that stuck a .308. We loosened the expander, drilled and tapped the primer pocket and removed with a bolt and nut along with some washers.

Boolit Master

I stuck one case way back when using a spray lube(I don't remember the brand--been too long) and then I was turned onto Imperial Wax and I haven't looked back and haven't stuck another case. I wipe a thin bit onto the case with my fingers and after sizing, I wipe it off with an old bath towel or other soft cloth. I do have a RCBS stuck case removal tool--just haven't needed it but that one time. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Silverbullet,

I did not blame the Lee dies but I must have had the case really stuck because I did manage to bend the expander shaft trying to tap it out. I know others load .223 on progressives (some with case feeders) and that is my objective, so smearing lube on every case is not a good option for me.

I will call Dillon and see what they suggest.

It does make me appreciate the ease of loading pistol ammo on the 1050....LOL. I will use up the One Shot on pistol cases.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    dverna....Did not mean it imply that you don't know how to use the dies, sorry if I sounded as though I did. I use the LEE sizing stuff with water in a spritz bottle. Put empties into a ziplock bag, spray, shake around, empty and let the lube dry. Maybe you could try that with a progressive. The LEE stuff just wipes off with a damp cloth. It dries fairly quickly and does a very good job lubing. May work for a progressive that you don't want to get a lot of lube on. Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests ya'll try STP Oil Treatment (auto parts shops) or
    Tri-Flow Clear Synthetic Grease (bike shops)
    for excellent and really cheep sizing lubes.
    (3 ounce tube of Tri-FLow does 1200 Scrap Dealer .50 BMG cases.)

Small cans of sizing lube are probably repacked deep drawing grease.

Boolit Master
    RCBS has offered a "Stuck Case Remover" set-up for a long time. After drilling the primer pocket out the case is tapped, a bolt is inserted through a collar that provides clearance, the bolt is simply turned to remove the case... A simple, slick little kit that comes complete.
    The same can be done with drills, taps, washers/nuts, and bolts found in many home shops... I like the RCBS kit because I'm never tempted to use it for anything else. It sits in it's place on a shelf, in case it's ever needed... Hopefully it'll never need to be reopened.

Boolit Master

Had one stuck .308W case about 40 years ago. Had seen pictures of RCBS stuck case remover, so I used a 1/4-20 tap, a socket head screw, a 1/4 inch washer and a 9/16 socket to remove it. Easy peasy. I think I might have been using RCBS lube on a pad, but not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast