Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of it.

Banned

Sick of it.

live on a gravel road and got a little snow. Plow removed tons of gravel into my grass again. 4 hours of raking or my mower would be trash. I need concrete barriers.

I understand completely I have the same problem here

Boolit Master
    we had a problem with the mail box getting plowed off. that is till we put a piece of railroad 5' in the ground I know I dug the hole. well the truck came down the road he swung over to get the box. plow hit that rail truck stopped rear wheels lifted off the ground. drivers head hit the steering wheel. that ended th war of the mailbox.

Boolit Grand Master

How do they do when grading it? Try spiking in a short fence of hardware cloth in the fall to stop the gravel.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    44man - a necessary evil to have to have the road plowed but if it's like where we live, they throw gravel in the wintertime but you never see a scraper when it's summer and the gravel roads have turned in to "wash boards" - that is unless one of the county employees happens to live on the gravel road . . . .

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    live on a gravel road and got a little snow. Plow removed tons of gravel into my grass again. 4 hours of raking or my mower would be trash. I need concrete barriers.
    I know EXACTLY what you are going through! I bought a house in town in front of an Elementary school, they take decent care of the streets here, especially in front of my house due to the little school. This year we got a fair amount of snow and they started to run out of places to put it, i allowed them to shove a bunch of it in my front yard, i have a treated 4X4 border around my front yard and drive way, whoever built it used long threaded rod with a big nut on top (the 4x4s are drilled for the rod to go through) pounded deep in the ground, I SPECIFICALLY explained EXACTLY what they were and where they were at, i had been shoveling all winter against the same border so it was quite obvious (we easily had over 3 feet of snow) all i asked was that they lifted the blade 10" above the ground when they got to my snow wall, NOPE they caught one the bolts and peeled it out turning it into a U shape and split a couple of 4X4s, along with filling my yard full of gravel. Next year they will NOT be allowed to put excess in my yard. The next thing coming will be sweeping all the excess sand they sprinkled, they will wait until it is bone dry and completely cover my house and vehicles in Dirt/Dust.

I passed a plow this year that was throwing gravel (they are suppose to stop well before passing you) this idiot kept right on a throwing gravel on hard pack ice, i had marble size rocks bouncing all over my hood, and put a big ding in my windshield. That guy is EXTREMELY lucky my little truck is old and about wore out, if i had been driving a nice new pickup i would have went to jail.

Banned
    what really makes me mad is having to pull the gravel back on my road that I plowed off during the winter

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    what really makes me mad is having to pull the gravel back on my road that I plowed off during the winter
    You should pack down the first few snows, build a good solid ice packed road, THEN plow away

Boolit Grand Master

Here we are only allowed a 4X4 sized mail box post. no steel pipe or well casings. Our plow drivers try not to do damage but accidents happen. 2 years ago the force of a deep heavy wet snow took my box down. I went to the guy down the road got a rough sawn oak 4X4 ( true 4"X4"). Put up a temporary mail box and soaked the new heavy post in water sealer for a week then stood up to dry and cure. Pulled the temporary and put up the new one. Mail man complained the new post was to big new store bought 4X4s are actually 3 1/2 X 3 1/2. That post is solid and soaked will last a long time. I don't mow in the winter so a 1 time raking in the spring is small compared to clean safe roads in the winter. What upsets me is the new operators who close off my freshly plowed driveway when they plow the road.

Perma-Banned
    My first post might sound like i am hating on our plow drivers, i AM NOT, I totally respect the guys!! BUT their are a few of them that probably shouldn't be allowed to ride a bicycle!

Banned

well I hate our plow guy.
    I have rail road ties around our lawn but a gravel area between the road and the ties.
    I park my truck there and I designed it so they could plow right down the road for the mail truck.
    he for some reason cannot just drive a straight line down the road from box to box.

it was entertaining to see him try to remove the pile of snow from across the street.
    it isn't a pile of show but a buried cement pipe for water run off.
    he hit that going about 30 mph and come to a complete stop.
    he lost his glasses, spilled his soda, and his lunch flew out the window.
    I seen the whole thing out my kitchen window while I was getting my coat on to go dig my truck out,,,,,,,,,, again.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I also realize that the drivers put in a lot of long hours plowing and for the most part, they are careful. And, budget cut backs have affected our county road commission for quite a while now as well.

This doesn't have to do with the gravel issue . . . but years ago, they used to spray the roadsides to keep the weeds down (we're in a rural area). If you didn't want the roadside sprayed by your property, you could just post a "no spray" and they wouldn't do it. THEN the EPA and tree huggers got involved . . . and part of it was good until went "overboard". So, the county had to buy a fleet of tractors with 5 foot mowers on extension arms so they could mow the road sides. THEN some folks got mad because the mowers took small brush and saplings out and left it looking kind of like a small twister went through - what do they say? Sometimes you just can't win? I was outside one day during the summer a number of years ago and the county mower went down the road mowing the roadside. Just past my property line is/was a large road sign on double steel posts. Yep . . you might have guessed it. The tractor driver's attention got diverted for some reason and he mowed right over that road sign . . and the noise made shivers run up your spine. I don't think I would have wanted to be inches shoes trying to explain to the supervisor how it happened and I can only imagine the cost of replacing the sign.

Like a lot of people's jobs in life . . . they do a lot, work countless hours to clear the roads and get very little thanks for it.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    well I hate our plow guy.
    R5R, Tell us how you really feel! LOL

Moderator Emeritus

I set my post 2' back from the edge of the road. Then added a T shape on top of it made from more 4x4 with a shallow (maybe 15 degree angle on the sides) V cut in the top. I cut a V in the bottom of a 2' long 4x4 to match the V in the 4x4 T then screwed a 4' 2x4 on top of that to mount the box on. Drilled a hole in the center of that and used a 12" long 3/8 lag and some big washers with a valve spring in between them to fasten it down. If the mailbox on the end gets hit it pops up out of the V and spins to the side. Post is back far enough that the plow driver would have to jump the curb to hit it. Secondary benefit is a kid hit my box with a baseball bat and it spun 180 and smacked him in the arm with the 2x4 breaking it. He had fun explaining that one to his parents then the cops...

Banned

I live in one of those developments that we pay fees. They guy that has done our roads lives down the road and I was road manager for a while. I got the roads fixed best but a new guy moved in and wanted cheaper labor so our guy quit and so did I. We dumped the whole thing on the new jerk. He has done so bad we will toss him at the next meeting. First thing he wanted to do was triple our fees.
    I don't want to pay it anyway, I could take care of the road by my house even though I have a very long stretch, problem is nobody else would take care of what they live on. They won't even remove a fallen tree or branches, someone else does it.
    Worst thing ever is a development. We are not supposed to hunt or shoot but I killed that the first year with my range. We are lax and more country, no regs about painting or what door to use. I have near 10 acres and many are over 12. Most of us hunt too.
    Yesterday there was shooting all around, even near town and I love it.

A lot of our problems are created by choices we make.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Put up a snow fence it will stop the gravel from flying onto the lawn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    You should pack down the first few snows, build a good solid ice packed road, THEN plow away
    That's what I do.

Boolit Master
    File a claim with either the City or County, who ever plows the road. They have no right to hit the mail box. Mail is federal roads are at best State ,maybe county or City. Feds outrank them all. If the City/County has to pay for a few mail boxes the drivers will get better or get new jobs.

Banned

for like 50$ a year you can get a PO box.
    after the first year of trying to dig out a 5' wall of snow for the mail lady I figured the payment was a lot cheaper than the heart attack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast