Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Saving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !

Ok ! Realizing regional prices , marketing , demand , availability , selection preferences , cuisine diversity (Dang I hate the word ..diversity !) and many other variables . How do you save a buck ($$) at the grocery store , on line , butcher shop , using wild game , canning/putting up , drying/gardening/growing .....etc . LOL , lot of us ain't got the big bucks and got to eat to the best of our financial ability !

Tips , tricks , hints , ideas ? Methods you have found successful ? Heck ! Coupons ! Eating road kill...It's wide open ! Thank you before we even get started !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    This should be fun.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    This should be fun.
    I'm with you on this. A couple of weeks ago I was reading an article about how the Venezuelans were loosing weight because they had to change there diet due to the poor economy and no supplies. After reading the story aloud to the wife we both looked at each other and kinda laughed.

Her and I have had to learn to make things, less meat in our diet, more veggies, and have done without for years. And here we're supposed to feel sorry because they have to eat less meat and more vegetables because of there declining economy. Give me a break.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    We buy our beef from a farmer usually by the half-cow. Lots cheaper than going to the grocery store for beef and the flavor is better.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I was going to say buying corncob media from drillspot.com, but what cost me $17 delivered 3 years ago is now $73!

Boolit Master
    Thankfully there is a "Salvage" store here a part of the Affiliated Food chain ther soon to be out of date food. The veggies are not as pretty but still good, meat is like huge pork butts for about $1 a# but they weigh 30-50# and you have to butcher them yourself. What would cost $100 at the other stores run $35 there but it is never the same stock.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

EASY, I do NOT go to the grocery store, wife ONLY goes and she is a wizard with coupons!!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Look at the cuisines from third world countries. Lots of rice, some vegetables, and a bit of meat for flavor. Buy rice in 50lb bags, and learn to cook the stuff.

Gardening, hunting and fishing all depend upon what you enjoy doing and how much time you have. Smaller critters like squirrel, rabbit, bluegill, and catfish take a bit more cleaning per pound but are more consistently available and a lot less expensive to harvest than say deer or tuna. In the garden leafy greens, beans and potatoes always seem easier than corn, carrots and beets, but of course squash and zucchini produce by the ton and when you get tired of the fruit you can start frying the flowers.

Then again, depending on circumstances you may be able to arrange for business lunches most days.

Boolit Bub
    We make our own laundry soap. We save about $200 a year.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I make my own soap too. Havnt bought commercial soap in 7 ys.
    Every few weeks WalMart puts 10# bags of legs n thigh chicken on sale for 49 cents per pound. I buy it and repack 2 per bag for meal making.

I have no brand flavored taste buds, so whatever store or generic canned foods are cheapest, I get. Even soda is available for 2.25/12pack in cheap brand, and .49-69 cents per 2-3 litre.

Bulk flour, rice, etc, saves you some.

Every little bit helps.

Moderator Emeritus

Never go to the store hungry and have a list of what you really need.....dont trust your mind to remember what you need. Coupons are good and bulk buys work for us as well. We do garden and shoot and trap a lot of hogs....fishing is coming up....just seems like the dollar dont go very far when you retire....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Wife and I shop at a local, 4 blocks away in our small town.

Ball Park All Beef Bun Length Franks 15 oz pkg.-------$1.29
    Salsa Dip, Sabra Brand 1 lb.------------------$ .99
    Choc. Chip Cookies 12 inch in dia. 2/ $1.00
    Private Label Chicken Soup----------------4/ cans $1.00
    Eckrich Smoky Links-------------------------$1.49 pkg.
    Del-Montie Peaches in a jar, 19 oz. ---------$ .99
    X-Large Eggs---------------------------------$ .50 a doz.
    Potatoes--------------------------------------$1.99 5 lb. bag

Then there is always Aldie's

Milk -------------------------------------------$2.79 "thats high now"

Meat from the butcher

Prime Rib-----------------------------------$3.99 a lb.
    T-Bone & Porterhouse----------------------$3.99 a lb.
    Fresh Brats home made-------------------$2.39 a lb.

Factory bread outlet stores---------------$1.29 for the GOOD Breads, maybe even less.

Having 2 freezers is a good thing.

It's good to live in the upper midwest, and in Amish Coutry.

We also shop at the dented can stores, but you need to be careful.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Having 2 freezers like Jcwit said is a great thing. Buy in bulk and freeze. Buy stuff on sale, buy generics, and use coupons. I could go 2 months without grocery shopping, and I built that stock up over time so no huge bill to freak you out. A little here, a little there, etc.

Boolit Master

One of the best ways to save money, is to not spend it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    One of the best ways to save money, is to not spend it.
    Right! But by and large most of us like to eat!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    The local Publix has a 10$ off coupon on $50 gas cards. Just buy $50 of grocerys to get it.
    My mom also saves coupons and uses them when the store has sales. Last time out we got $160 in supplies, plus 3 $50 gas cards and saved over $50 with coupons.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    We got a food saver and vacuum pack lots of sale stuff , saved us lots of bucks ! On sale or discounted meat is a BIG savings !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master
    I buy almost nothing at regular price, except fresh items. Buy bulk and when items are on sale. Recently, chicken leg quarters at .30/lb, detergent $2/jug, canned veggies .39/ can etc etc

Begin stocking items and learn to rotate stock. Part of that is using what you stock. Learn how to safely stock items for long term storage.

Food is a necessity. At a minimum, 3 months supply for your family. Start somewhere, and add ONLY when you find deals
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Never pay full price with coupons and price matching and bulk deals! We hunt or raise most of our meat, huge gardens chickens fruit trees can pickle and preserve all we can! A huge key to saving is not to waste, what little food we do throw out goes to rabbits chickens pigs or into the traps for critters! Don't seem so wasteful when you use it that way! We also trade slot, we trade for our honey and syrup when I don't have the time like this year to make it, we have bees coming though! We buy lots at yard sales and second hand stores and we sell stuff that we buy at a cheap price! Don't make any unnecessary trips to town ; no cable tv no credit cards!

Boolit Master

when we go to the grocery store( maybe 3 times a year) we go to either an Mennonite bulk food store in Kansas or a scratch and dent grocery store in loveland. have not bought meat in the store in years, we butcher 50 or 75 meat birds every year that we raise, butcher a couple of hogs that we raise and butcher a steer that we raise, milk comes from the neighbors bulk tank at their dairy. huge garden every year and my wife cans everything from homemade ketchup to soup.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast