Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Heritage ; the land ;family; planting season

Boolit Master

Heritage ; the land ;family; planting season

My daughter 12 and the neighbor girl 7, just helped me build the new grape arbor and plant the new strawberry patch. The grapes are heirloom,my mothers people brought them from Sicily before WW1 I got mine started from asking the new owners of my grandparents farm if I could dig some up;they were very nice and let me take lots of diggings and cuttings,three years ago they were almost wiped out by rabbits during the hardest winter in memory,couldn't see under the snow that the rabbits were eating them off at the ground! Well I saved what I could and they came back and this year should be a good crop!
    The strawberries are a new type planted in some new ground using the old straw and manure from the rabbit hutches as mulch and fertilizer as nothing around here goes to waste! I told my daughter that if we property care for this patch of berries and this arbor of grapes,in 20 years her children will be picking and weeding and watering them! Also our asparagus patch was transplanted from the farm my wife grew up on; it sure makes me feel connected to our past;our people the land and to God! Getting dirt under the nails working in the soil and planting seeds from fruit with a seed of its own kind inside itself which HE called good! And I can't help but be proud of my girl,standing bear foot in the dirt helping her old man plant when I'm sure that's the last thing on the list of fun things for a almost teen girl!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    My daughter 12 and the neighbor girl 7, just helped me build the new grape arbor and plant the new strawberry patch. The grapes are heirloom,my mothers people brought them from Sicily before WW1 I got mine started from asking the new owners of my grandparents farm if I could dig some up;they were very nice and let me take lots of diggings and cuttings,three years ago they were almost wiped out by rabbits during the hardest winter in memory,couldn't see under the snow that the rabbits were eating them off at the ground! Well I saved what I could and they came back and this year should be a good crop!
    The strawberries are a new type planted in some new ground using the old straw and manure from the rabbit hutches as mulch and fertilizer as nothing around here goes to waste! I told my daughter that if we property care for this patch of berries and this arbor of grapes,in 20 years her children will be picking and weeding and watering them! Also our asparagus patch was transplanted from the farm my wife grew up on; it sure makes me feel connected to our past;our people the land and to God! Getting dirt under the nails working in the soil and planting seeds from fruit with a seed of its own kind inside itself which HE called good! And I can't help but be proud of my girl,standing bear foot in the dirt helping her old man plant when I'm sure that's the last thing on the list of fun things for a almost teen girl!
    It's called raising them right. I did similar things with all four of my kids teaching gardening hunting reloading how to cook and how to work a job. Now I see them teaching the grandkids. Its a hellova job parenting the right ways but the harvest is usually pretty rewarding IMHO

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thank you;anyone telling me I'm worth a pinch of salt as a parent makes me smile;most important job Ive ever had!

Boolit Master

The way life outta be - Don't let your head get to big ( smiles )
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't be too sure about your daughter. Most children - even teens, cherish time with their parents, especially doing something like gardening or making something.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Mrs. Thumbcocker and I spread compost on the raised bens and tilled them. I am the 7th generation on this land, I had hoped to pass it on to my descendants but that isn't going to happened. We still plant fruit and nut trees and improve the soil. Every year we make the place a little better and neater. Someone will appreciate we hope. Be thankful that the chain you are a link in is not broken and cherish time with your daughter.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

She probably enjoyed it somewhat ;.but I'm sure it wasn't grand fun; one thing that makes me so proud of her is that the work that needed to get this house and farm up and running is hard and dirty and I've never heard her complain nor sherk her duties to our animals or crops!

Boolit Master

Great my kids like working the garden too. My little helpers.

In Remembrance
    My youngest daughter did not like to work in the garden when she was young, now she has taught her daughters to work the garden too, so you never know. One thing is for sure, just the knowledge of how it's done sure won't hurt them.

Boolit Master

Awesome job Marine! How about a pic of the arbor? I gotta make one very shortly......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

I believe few things bring as much joy as a grape vine. Enjoy that classic vintage.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

I grew up with it so a garden is a must but my nieces and nephews are not much into it except for my nephew in AK. They garden because veggies are expensive!

In Remembrance
    Mary, it is not so much as they are expensive in Ak, there is really no such thing as fresh veggies to be had at the grocery store. There is the farmers market in the summer, but now we are talking expensive.

Boolit Master

Lucky Dickins...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Up to six inches of snow tonight;.me and my daughter just looked at one another and laughed!