RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

I miss some of my West Coast staples - In-n-Out burgers and good, SoCal Mexican food
    I also miss a few of the regional, micro-brew beers I've had over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Come on you Michiganders . . . I haven't seen Vernor's Ginger Ale mentioned yet!
    Oh yeah I used to fake a stomachache just to get some. I don't think it actually helped with stomachaches but it tasted good. I hear they're bringing back Strohs beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Come on you Michiganders . . . I haven't seen Vernor's Ginger Ale mentioned yet!
    Ah, yes, but I can get that here.

Rock n rye I can find reasonable occasionally, but I can always find it for $2.50 for a glass bottle!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Ah, yes, but I can get that here.

Rock n rye I can find reasonable occasionally, but I can always find it for $2.50 for a glass bottle!
    Here in MI you can get the 24 oz plastic bottles of Faygo for $.99 plus $.10 deposit everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I can get it at Publix. Great store with excellent employees. And lots of stuff you can't find at Walmarts​ grocery area.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have to say some of you guys eat stuff I have never heard of, and others even eat stuff I wouldn't pick up with my bare hand. lol

I reckon the thing I miss not available here is fresh okra, it just ain't happening. lol
    As far as eating out, it would be GOOD chicken fried steaks, we have em, we just don't have good ole Texas style chicken frys, plus for some reason here if you don't threaten them with life and limb, they will put brown gravy on what they call a chicken fry..
    Your right, those boiled peanuts are nasty

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I miss good beef. I grew up here and never really liked steak. Then I moved to Iowa and had a grilled corn-fed ribeye. Absolutely delicious! I could get great ribeyes at the local Fareway store. I also miss tenderloin sandwiches from Iowa as well. And Taco Pizza from Casey's. Oh, and Culver's and Hardee's fast food restaurants.

Too bad everything else about Iowa was awful; the weather, the environment, the small town white trash, the smell, the lack of wilderness, muddy and gross water, my ex-wife's family, etc.

Then I moved to AZ for several years and you could find a good ribeye every now and then, but not often. Now that I've been back home for three years, I've yet to find a good ribeye.

And in my area there aren't any seafood places. It's weird. I live in a tiny town of 1200. Within 15 miles of me are two college towns with a population of around 60k. We are roughly 300 miles from the Pacific ocean. Not even a crappy seafood place like Red Lobster or Long John Silver's. And no Olive garden. No Burger King, no In-N-Out Burger or Whataburger.

Oh, well. The nearest town does have five pot shops and not a single gun shop or FFL holder...
    Mormon Lake Steak House used to be pretty good in AZ. Kinda out in the sticks, though
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

My wife is a "yooper" and I was a "troll" - for those that aren't Michigander's, a yooper is from the U.P. and a troll lives underneath the bridge - we're also called berry pickers and fudgies -

Anyway - I fondly remember the "pasties" - especially the homemade ones that my mother in law used to make. Out here in AZ you just don't see 'em. BUT . . . believe it or not . . . on our way out the the Desert Museum the other day, we actually saw a sign advertising pasties . . . we didn't pursue it but I imagine that it was probably a transplanted yooper that was making and selling them. In lower Michigan we used to be able to buy "Madelines Pasties" (sp?) in the grocery story and maybe you still can . . . good but not like the good old homemade version.
    I remember having some in Manistique or Escanaba when I used to go through there every week
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    A good pasty is something to behold, but a big part of it is the crust. I married a yooper and we are heading up there mid April, so I can get my fix then. I always liked how you can get whole smoked fish in Elmer's in Escanaba, white fish, chubs, salmon they are all good. I miss fried alligator from down in Louisiana. Ballreich chips are in Tiffin which is about 20 minutes from where I am living.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Master
    Vernors Ginger Ale is on the shelves here in Tn.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

Good chicken teriyaki is what I miss

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    OK What ever happened to "Pluck" When I was a kid my Mom made Pluck soup about once a week! I don't even know what it is now-days All I know is I really enjoyed it!!!!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

As a kid in Scotland, we'd have black pudding every Sunday at breakfast. Essentially pigs blood, small bits, herbs &spicrs in a natural casing, these were served in slices that sort of crumbled apart when you ate them.
    As a teen in WA State, we'd smuggle them back from BC on each annual trip since the real thing is generally not found in the States.
    man, those and a good mincemeat pie- super-tough to find.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I miss Haggis!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Boiled peanuts are great, but Faygo stays on the shelf. Kinda in the same class as R C cola.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

John Morrel's Pickled Polish Sausage. Could get it by the case in Az. and So-Cal, but nowhere to be found in Missouri.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

I grew up in central Kentucky and the two things I miss are Mingua Bros jerkey and Ale-8-1. Every time my parents come to visit they bring a bunch of both.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Buddy
    Vernors is ok, but I love Goya's Jamaican style Ginger Beer. That has a bite to it used to be on the label that they put capsicum (pepper) into it. I still cough on that first sip, but I'll drink a 2 liter by myself in a couple of days. I have to haul all the way out to Madison to find it.

I also love Goya's coconut soda, but that one only in the glass bottles. The plastic 2 liters taste different to me.

Boolit Master
    I left one off but I think they closed up. I used to live by perry lake, northwest of Lawrence, there was a little butcher shop in meridian, ks that made the best jerky I ever had. Wish I had that recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    I grew up in central Kentucky and the two things I miss are Mingua Bros jerkey and Ale-8-1. Every time my parents come to visit they bring a bunch of both.
    I also grew up in Central KY. Mingua Jerky is the bomb! It's very simple ingredients, but I've never quite been able to duplicate it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast