Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

Banned

I was gonna say sea-food.
    but after thinking about it we don't have much of anything here.
    no take out/delivery of any kind.
    the burger joint is about the only fast food in town.[only it don't have a drive through window]
    the Mexican restaurant is open sometimes, and not sometimes, you just have to go look.
    the best semi-fast food around here is the taco wagon in the next town over but you have to work on your Spanish a little bit to get what you want or they put too much rice on your burrito.

sometimes our little grocery store has crab legs they get from somewhere in Alaska during the season.
    but it would be cheaper for me to go up there and throw my own crab pots in the ocean.

what do I miss?
    I pretty much miss everything food wise.
    chili peppers of any sort.
    Seafood
    Pizza.
    Chinese.
    Thai.
    well there is a thai place over in Lava but the cook ain't ever been to Thailand and has no clue that his '10' hot is a '2' on a good day, and the spices are all wrong.

thankfully we at least we have access to Cache Valley cheese, sorry Wisconsinite's but it is at least 5 times better.

Baked Goods, good lord,,,, bleh.
    how hard is it to make a decent cookie.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is what I miss from Ohio

Banned

In - N - Out Burger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Coney dogs, better maid chips, and faygo!
    Your MI is showing!!! Just had those exact things for lunch on Friday working over Flint way!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    In - N - Out Burger

They are good.......Right now I'm thinking 'animal style!'
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

In - N - Out Burger
    I have one about a half mile from me. When the wind is blowing right, I can smell it. And that usually leads to me going through the drive-thru.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    In Manistee Michigan, there is a pizza place called Big Al's. There is a sandwhich there called "The Big Al's Special".

Manistee is about an hour and 15 away from me, so I don't get to eat there much. If they were a mile away, I would be a much fatter and happier man.
    Next time I go salmon fishing there I'll give them a try
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loudy13 View Post
    Good pickled Garlic, there used to be a store at the Mall of America that you could buy a huge jar or it in many flavors. I can find a small jar from time to time but it hasn't been the same.

Reindeer and some other dried wild game (cant remember the animal) I had in Norway, tried to bring some back but customs wasn't having it. That stuff was legendary!
    I lucked into Gilroy, CA when the Garlic Festival was going on one year and had some garlic ice cream. If you are a lover of garlic that festival is a must on your bucket list
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

In - N - Out Burger
    I always like Whattaburger better but it's all good.

Boolit Master

Louisiana crawfish, alligator tail.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Canned Brains! Where do I get them? Dang that is good eating out of a can!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I miss good beef. I grew up here and never really liked steak. Then I moved to Iowa and had a grilled corn-fed ribeye. Absolutely delicious! I could get great ribeyes at the local Fareway store. I also miss tenderloin sandwiches from Iowa as well. And Taco Pizza from Casey's. Oh, and Culver's and Hardee's fast food restaurants.

Too bad everything else about Iowa was awful; the weather, the environment, the small town white trash, the smell, the lack of wilderness, muddy and gross water, my ex-wife's family, etc.

Then I moved to AZ for several years and you could find a good ribeye every now and then, but not often. Now that I've been back home for three years, I've yet to find a good ribeye.

And in my area there aren't any seafood places. It's weird. I live in a tiny town of 1200. Within 15 miles of me are two college towns with a population of around 60k. We are roughly 300 miles from the Pacific ocean. Not even a crappy seafood place like Red Lobster or Long John Silver's. And no Olive garden. No Burger King, no In-N-Out Burger or Whataburger.

Oh, well. The nearest town does have five pot shops and not a single gun shop or FFL holder...
    Gotta add bone in ribeye steaks. From grade school past college we had feeder beef on the farm, 160-190 a year. Always "hard finished", ground corn and hay ration from 700 lbs. up to 1300-1350. White faced Herefords. We always kept 1 to 1 1/2 steers for our own freezer. Had a college buddy always criticized me for ordering well done when we went into a restaurant, brought him down to the farm and had dinner one day, either steaks or a roast, he was stunned. He said he never had beef that good before in his life, he told me that now he understood that great beef did not have to be rare to raw to have any flavor. Depresses me to go into the meat markets now and see them trumpeting "grass fed". People don't understand what was graded prime today was choice in 1975, and the old prime doe not exist anymore.

Agreed. Even the few chain stores that carry Prime don't put forward a very good example.

You've got to go to a specialty butcher and pay super primo for some real Prime.

Banned

we used to get fay-go at the local dollar store every now and then.
    I'd grab a case or two of different variety's and take them over to a Michigan bud I worked with in Wyoming.
    I developed a liking for the rockin-rye after a little bit.

the look on his face was priceless when I gave him the first mixed flat of the stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good Tex-mex and good thin crust pizza (best I had was in Ohio at a place called Cameo's). Grinders (D'elias in Riverside, CA) and Van De Camps Cinnamon crumb crullers and Mr. J's doughnuts in Redlands, CA. Fresh seafood off the Oregon Coast (Fried Halibut was outstanding). Good BBQ (Texas style or memphis style) although I will say my smoked pork butt or smoked corned beef is da bomb!!

Banned

D'elias in Riverside, CA

Now your talking

Boolit Grand Master

Fleischkuechle (Flesh-Keek-Luh)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischkuekle

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds similar to tourtiere although those are baked. Sugared cruellers you cant find here. I miss Coffee Cup Cruellers in the morning

Boolit Master
    Good roadways

Food wise: veal sweetbreads
    Bob

If you travel out of New England there are 2 things you CANNOT get: lobster rolls and Moxie. If you have never tried Moxie, think liquid tires would taste like.
    It is definitely an acquired taste.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast