Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    And Philly calling on Boeing Vertol, cheese steaks. I can feel the arteries hardening just thinking about them.

And Rudy's Bar-b-que in San Antonio when @ Toyota.
    I can't tell you the last time I ate a cheese steak. Everyone makes them here. And almost all the places in Philly are horrible. When you grow up eating them you grow tired of them.

I ate Rudy's last week. It's okay but nothing special IMO. You can do a lot worse. There "sause" is bad if you ask me.

I've found there is a line somewhere in VA where if you go below it you can't get a good slice of pizza. I know it's made everywhere but it's usually just serviceable food. It's an art that seems to be lost outside the north east.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Says "I miss when I leave" before mentioning them.
    Thought you were talking about TastyKakes.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Stuffed cabbage
    stuffed peppers
    coleslaw

Boolit Grand Master

Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Thought you were talking about TastyKakes.
    The exact sentence is "but what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores."

Boolit Buddy
    Maull's BBQ sauce. Can't make a good St Louis style pork steak without it.

I once traveled to Wisconsin for my employer, can't remember the town I was in but stayed at an inn called the Audubon Inn. In said Inn there was a bar/restaurant that I gravitated to in the evenings. They had a beer that was brewed just for them by some local brewery, IIRC it was call Audubon Gold that was so good I wanted to bring home several cases of the stuff and of course I could not. The second best beer/ale I have ever had to date, the first being an ale called Formidable Ale that is brewed somewhere in England but not exported, a friend had traveled there and returned with several cans he thought I would like, he was right.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Grand Master

The exact sentence is "but what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores."
    Ok, you want to argue for some reason. The exact sentence and the following one are "What I miss when I leave are Tastykake products. But what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores." The first one you leave, the second one you don't.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    I once traveled to Wisconsin for my employer, can't remember the town I was in but stayed at an inn called the Audubon Inn. In said Inn there was a bar/restaurant that I gravitated to in the evenings. They had a beer that was brewed just for them by some local brewery, IIRC it was call Audubon Gold that was so good I wanted to bring home several cases of the stuff and of course I could not. The second best beer/ale I have ever had to date, the first being an ale called Formidable Ale that is brewed somewhere in England but not exported, a friend had traveled there and returned with several cans he thought I would like, he was right.
    Odd how you run across stuff like that. Best beer I ever had was Guiness Export. Most likely because I was staying at an old coffee plantation in Tanzania when I first had it. The second time I ran across it was at a beach side bar in Belize. Great stuff.

I can't tell you the last time I ate a cheese steak. Everyone makes them here. And almost all the places in Philly are horrible. When you grow up eating them you grow tired of them.

I ate Rudy's last week. It's okay but nothing special IMO. You can do a lot worse. There "sause" is bad if you ask me.

I've found there is a line somewhere in VA where if you go below it you can't get a good slice of pizza. I know it's made everywhere but it's usually just serviceable food. It's an art that seems to be lost outside the north east.

I found one of the old places near Philadelphia, theirs was great. If it is not done right they can be awful.

Did you go to the original Rudy's northwest of town? The franchises just don't seem to get the smoking right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Not everywhere. You can still get them here

Attachment 191012
    Wow. This is OK and lead is supposed to be bad for you? Wow.

I worked with a guy who looked forward to getting an animal every hunting season, just so he could have "fresh" scrambled eggs and brains. Now I work with his son. Barney's 91 now, still going strong, but doesn't walk quite as much during hunting season. Maybe you guys know something I don't.

Now back on track, I miss Kentucky Fried barbecued chicken.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Lobster rolls, traveled to Conn. to call on Pratt & Whitney years ago, lived on lobster rolls when I was out there.

And Philly calling on Boeing Vertol, cheese steaks. I can feel the arteries hardening just thinking about them.

And Rudy's Bar-b-que in San Antonio when @ Toyota.

Or this hole in the wall bar in Davenport Ia. for pork tenderloin sandwich with fries the cut when you ordered.

I traveled way too much.
    If you ever get back to eastern Iowa, you can get the best tenderloin in Muscatine Iowa at a place called Tee's. It is called the hubcap and that is not an overstatement

Boolit Master
    I travel for work, so I end up missing great fod that I had while out of town that I just can't get in the Detroit area. I can understand not getting good Cajun here but why can't I get good BBQ?

I miss steak at The Prime Quarter in Janesville, WI and at Paragon in Moraine, OH.

From Shreveport, LA I miss game dinners and live blues at the Noble Savage, catfish pretty much anywhere, Sammy's BBQ, Etouffee, and the Crawfish Palace.

From Spring Hill, TN I miss BBQ from Jack Of Hearts.

Boolit Master

In the 80s I lived in Redondo Beach, in the LA area. A good friend turned me on to South Pacific Export Lager beer. Superb stuff. Can't find it anywhere else.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

The best hamburgers in the West........ Triangle Burger! Was going to list Spotted Dick but haven't actually tried it yet.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

What I miss is good Thai food and Vietnamese as well. There are stellar restaraunts for both in DFW, Austin, and San Antonio but for some reason none in the Waco area. It is a sad situation when the best Asian cuisine on can find is Pei Wei or Panda Express. My personal theory, and I'm not joking, is that the local long term Asian buffet rules the area kind of like a mafia. Any competitors that come in soon have some "problems". Wierd.

Anyway, good Thai green curry is to die for.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I grew up in south central Kentucky. Got hooked on a few foods while living there that I just can't get here in AZ.

Fisher's Pickled Bologna - Might sound gross, but it's delish on Saltine's. I can order it online, but it's expensive and usually about 20 bazillion dollars for shipping.Attachment 190980 The super duper amazing bonus of this stuff is you can boil a bunch of eggs and drop them in the brine after the bologna is gone and have the best dam pickled eggs evar.

Bar B Q Fritos - What they hay, Frito Lay? Why can't we have this goodness here in AZ??

Country Ham - Well... What can be said about country ham that anyone one who knows what it is hasn't already said. I could drive to the other side of the freeway and get some on a plate at Cracker Barrel (I Think?), but I just want to have some in my fridge dammit.

Nehi Peach Soda - Yeah, I can get it from Amazon for $1.29 a can, but I ain't despit.
    I sometimes buy a jar of the pickled Bologna when I visit with my son in KY. It's OK for a while, but I can never finish off a jar. FWIW it also makes a fair Catfish Bait
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Good pickled Garlic, there used to be a store at the Mall of America that you could buy a huge jar or it in many flavors. I can find a small jar from time to time but it hasn't been the same.

Reindeer and some other dried wild game (cant remember the animal) I had in Norway, tried to bring some back but customs wasn't having it. That stuff was legendary!
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I miss Chuck's Steak House in Danbury, Connecticut. Great restaurant, great ribeyes. I used to get up there a couple times a year, but my health makes it more of a hassle than it is worth to drive 5 hours or so one way and stay overnight.

When I am out of the southcentral Pennsylvania area, I really miss Seltzer's Sweet Lebanon Bologna. Just great stuff.
    One of my aunts and uncle lived out of the area and my mother used to send them some every year before they passed away.

Boolit Master

I miss good beef. I grew up here and never really liked steak. Then I moved to Iowa and had a grilled corn-fed ribeye. Absolutely delicious! I could get great ribeyes at the local Fareway store. I also miss tenderloin sandwiches from Iowa as well. And Taco Pizza from Casey's. Oh, and Culver's and Hardee's fast food restaurants.

Too bad everything else about Iowa was awful; the weather, the environment, the small town white trash, the smell, the lack of wilderness, muddy and gross water, my ex-wife's family, etc.

Then I moved to AZ for several years and you could find a good ribeye every now and then, but not often. Now that I've been back home for three years, I've yet to find a good ribeye.

And in my area there aren't any seafood places. It's weird. I live in a tiny town of 1200. Within 15 miles of me are two college towns with a population of around 60k. We are roughly 300 miles from the Pacific ocean. Not even a crappy seafood place like Red Lobster or Long John Silver's. And no Olive garden. No Burger King, no In-N-Out Burger or Whataburger.

Oh, well. The nearest town does have five pot shops and not a single gun shop or FFL holder...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My wife is a "yooper" and I was a "troll" - for those that aren't Michigander's, a yooper is from the U.P. and a troll lives underneath the bridge - we're also called berry pickers and fudgies -

Anyway - I fondly remember the "pasties" - especially the homemade ones that my mother in law used to make. Out here in AZ you just don't see 'em. BUT . . . believe it or not . . . on our way out the the Desert Museum the other day, we actually saw a sign advertising pasties . . . we didn't pursue it but I imagine that it was probably a transplanted yooper that was making and selling them. In lower Michigan we used to be able to buy "Madelines Pasties" (sp?) in the grocery story and maybe you still can . . . good but not like the good old homemade version.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast