Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

I grew up in south central Kentucky. Got hooked on a few foods while living there that I just can't get here in AZ.

Fisher's Pickled Bologna - Might sound gross, but it's delish on Saltine's. I can order it online, but it's expensive and usually about 20 bazillion dollars for shipping.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9004688340_full.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	190980 The super duper amazing bonus of this stuff is you can boil a bunch of eggs and drop them in the brine after the bologna is gone and have the best dam pickled eggs evar.

Bar B Q Fritos - What they hay, Frito Lay? Why can't we have this goodness here in AZ??

Country Ham - Well... What can be said about country ham that anyone one who knows what it is hasn't already said. I could drive to the other side of the freeway and get some on a plate at Cracker Barrel (I Think?), but I just want to have some in my fridge dammit.

Nehi Peach Soda - Yeah, I can get it from Amazon for $1.29 a can, but I ain't despit.

Boolit Master
    In Manistee Michigan, there is a pizza place called Big Al's. There is a sandwhich there called "The Big Al's Special".

Manistee is about an hour and 15 away from me, so I don't get to eat there much. If they were a mile away, I would be a much fatter and happier man.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    In Manistee Michigan, there is a pizza place called Big Al's. There is a sandwhich there called "The Big Al's Special".

Manistee is about an hour and 15 away from me, so I don't get to eat there much. If they were a mile away, I would be a much fatter and happier man.
    Oh I hear ya.

Two things I loved while living in Colorado Springs - The Bacon, Sour Cream, and Avocado burger from Meadow Muffins, and Laughing Lab Ale.

Boolit Master

Coney dogs, better maid chips, and faygo!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I can't find French's sloppy joe mix in the envelope pack. Just add ground meat to a can of tomato paste with some water and in minutes its ready. I have to buy it on-line.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    No Pig Sheep or Cow brains any where these days: one of my early years favorites!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    West Texas Pepper Traders (out of Abilene) make a bread-and-butter pickled jalapeño marinade... zero salt, zero sugar... that works for beef, chicken, pork... Order it by the case because the grocery stores stopped carrying it.

Moderator Emeritus

when I visited by native cousins in AK, the Salmon they'd catch (subsistence), then dry/cure into Salmon sticks, it was like nothing I've ever had anywhere else, not salty at all, they said it didn't need to be stored in refrigeration. Also, they'd dry/cure the belly of King Salmon separate, they'd call that "Half-dry", stored in Freezer, they'd cook it in boiling water, my gosh that was rich, it was like eating pre-buttered Lobster, of course with the flavor of Salmon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Mine goes beyond where I live because I travel for work. What I miss when I leave are Tastykake products. But what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores. The country is severely lacking in convenience stores of that quality. Scrapple, pork roll and PA Dutch food are on this list as well.

What I can't get at home is Barbecue. I prefer Kansas City style over Texas. And don't even bother bringing Carolina style into it because that ain't barbecue. I'd love to be able to go out and get some burnt ends right now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Where I live is about as Midwest as it gets, and you can not get good seafood or Mexican food here.

One time I was home on leave and my uncle took me to a restaurant that was supposed to have good seafood. The "king (ha) crab legs were about the size of a pencil. I really miss getting those of the boat like when I was on Adak.

I also got used to getting a really good carne asada burrito just about anywhere when I was stationed in California. Not to be found in Missouri.

Robert

Boiled peanuts. You'd think Arkansas would have some, but if you get 50 miles from the river, you can fergit. Decent fried catfish! A coupe of places up here try hard, and actually sell a good bit, but just don't get it right. Gulf Oysters! Any which way....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    I can't find French's sloppy joe mix in the envelope pack. Just add ground meat to a can of tomato paste with some water and in minutes its ready. I have to buy it on-line.
    Dang! Grew up on that stuff although we bought McCormicks. I have not bought it in some time and had not realized it was hard to find.
    Last edited by jonp; 03-18-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Boiled peanuts. You'd think Arkansas would have some, but if you get 50 miles from the river, you can fergit. Decent fried catfish! A coupe of places up here try hard, and actually sell a good bit, but just don't get it right. Gulf Oysters! Any which way....
    I love boiled peanuts. Have not had any in about 45 years. My Grandparents used get for us when they went down south on vacation.

I also miss the Yaki Soba from Okinawa when I was stationed there.

Boolit Grand Master

I've lived in several places and have always noticed different foods that are available there and no-where else. When I was driving coast to coast I made it a point to go into local grocery stores and look for stuff I had never seen before.

In NC where I'm at now you can't seem to find a number of things. Natural Cased HotDogs that snap when you bite into them (hello McKenzie's!). Pickled Tripe I miss (rolled in egg and crushed crackers then fried, yum), Vermont Common Crackers, Brown Bread in a can, MayPo, Hot Dog buns that are sliced on the top like God intended not on the sides, Star Crushed Peppers, Cains Mayonnaise, Salt Pork ( we have no idea why you can't find this here pigs are everywhere and how in the world do you make baked beans without it?), side pork, Schaefer Beer or Genessee for that matter, Maple Leaf Maple Bacon, Ketchup Potato Chips.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Mine goes beyond where I live because I travel for work. What I miss when I leave are Tastykake products. But what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores. The country is severely lacking in convenience stores of that quality. Scrapple, pork roll and PA Dutch food are on this list as well.

What I can't get at home is Barbecue. I prefer Kansas City style over Texas. And don't even bother bringing Carolina style into it because that ain't barbecue. I'd love to be able to go out and get some burnt ends right now.
    Your in PA and you don't have a Sheetz or WaWa's near you? Finding that hard to believe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    No Pig Sheep or Cow brains any where these days: one of my early years favorites!
    I really miss scrambled pork brains for supper. CWD stopped the sale of brains everywhere. Was on the menu at my house growing up about once a week

Lobster rolls, traveled to Conn. to call on Pratt & Whitney years ago, lived on lobster rolls when I was out there.

And Philly calling on Boeing Vertol, cheese steaks. I can feel the arteries hardening just thinking about them.

And Rudy's Bar-b-que in San Antonio when @ Toyota.

Or this hole in the wall bar in Davenport Ia. for pork tenderloin sandwich with fries the cut when you ordered.

I traveled way too much.
    Last edited by 15meter; 03-18-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    I really miss scrambled pork brains for supper. CWD stopped the sale of brains everywhere. Was on the menu at my house growing up about once a week
    Not everywhere. You can still get them here

Attachment 191012

Banned
    never had canned brains before, just fresh ones scrambled with eggs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Your in PA and you don't have a Sheetz or WaWa's near you? Finding that hard to believe
    Says "I miss when I leave" before mentioning them.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast