RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 1892 problem

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ozzman View Post
    Hi mate, what are the chamber specs like?

To me sounds like this would be a headspacing issue, barring any major issues with the bolt face.

Have you made any progress on this? Sorry if I have missed this, but have you tested the difference between low velocity loads and higher velocity?

Take a scientific approach; manipulate one variable at a time and record results. As you probably know, if you are tweaking multiple variables at one time, you cannot determine possible correlation. Take your time, work through potential causes one by one.

Keen to hear how you go, the 1892 is, in my opinion, a very fine rifle that serves for both hunting and defense.

Cheerio

Haven't had time for any further testing.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    I have a win 76 and a win 86 both do the same thing with the primers on mine its the firing pin hole. They are big just the way they are still shoots fine. Ithink good brass and minimal sizing will help. Neck size only I have a Lee Enfield with excessive head space full lenth size brass life is no good neck size only they last a good long time cast boolit loads also.

Boolit Master
    Slugged the bore tonight. Bore is rough as seen in the pic. Slugged at .315
    Pic is not the best as iPads don't have a flash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0358.jpg  

Boolit Master
    A little progress tonight.

I cast some 117 grain fn the other day and this evening powder coated around a hundred with super wet black pc.

I honed out a Lee .311 sizing die to .315 and sized all the bullets.

Now for some new info. When I poured IMR 4227 into a B&m measure I noticed red airborne dust. When I looked in the can it was rusted. This is the same can I used last time for this rifle.
    It's an old can, mostly full but it went to the bucket with other bad powder. I pulled another can from the shelf and same thing. Lastly I grabbed a plastic jug of 4227 and obviously no rust.

New pc'd bullets were loaded over 12.2 grains of new IMR 4227, Rem srp bench rest and new starline brass.

Results? Great looking primers this time and cases also.

I'm thinking perhaps the rust dust could have changed the density of the powder in my first loads and increased pressure. Could also have been either old brass or just too hot of a load.

I only fired a couple rounds through the rifle because it's dark here but one thing I noticed was the lack of flash from the muzzle. With the first loads lubed and sized to .311 I had fliers of burning powder coming out of the muzzle on angles and fizzing out. They were very visible in daylight. None with the pc boolits at .315.

Next will be load development and bullet size tests. I also need to figure out why the lever is very stiff half way through the stroke. Same stiff spot opening or closing. Lever functions perfectly with either cartride guide in but not both. I checked for debris behind the guides but they are clean. Lever is stiff enough that you almost need to smack it open or closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12