Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone taken apart a '83 TCR?

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone taken apart a '83 TCR?

Bought one from Cabelas. Unfortunately, it was a couple of months before I could shoot it. Went to the range and still can't shoot it, it won't go BANG.

Pulled the buttstock off and ended up getting the FP to drop twice in about 40 tries. Almost like the sear isn't catching the FP assy. Took the springs out for the locking bolt, FP and another I am not quite sure of. Looks like I need to pull the snap ring off the bottom of the cocking lever to completely take it apart. Not sure I want to do that, but gun doesn't do me much good as it is now.

Probably not any parts available, so have to be careful I don't break anything!!!

Anyone familiar with the thompson/Center TCR series or know of anyone who is?

IME with them, issues like you're having are caused by somebody "adjusting" the trigger(s) improperly.

If you google "TCR-83 owner manual", you can download & print out the manual.

Here's the factory-recommended method of trigger adjustment:

The adjustment screw is visible between the triggers, in the bottom of the action.

The adjustment screw located in front of the rear trigger controls the amount of set trigger engagement, which regulates the amount of let off travel when the rifle is being fired with the trigger set.

Turning the set trigger adjustment screw will not lighten the single stage trigger pull.

The single stage trigger pull is nonadjustable.

Caution: Too light an adjustment can cause premature firing; too heavy an adjustment can impede firing.

To check set trigger adjustment, remove the forend and barrel from the receiver, and push the cross bolt safety to its "on" position.

Set the rear trigger.

With the trigger "set", carefully turn the adjustment screw clock-wise until the trigger mechanism "snaps" into the "unset" position.

Stop turning the adjustment screw the instant the mechanism "snaps".

Do not turn the adjustment screw beyond this point, because it indicates the point of total set trigger disengagement.

After the screw is adjusted so the mechanism "snaps" TURN THE ADJUSTMENT SCREW COUNTER CLOCKWISE ONE FULL TURN.

(This is the minimum setting for let off travel with the trigger set.)

If additional let off travel is required, continue turning the screw counter clockwise until you reach the desired engagement.

In no event should the engagement be set at less than one full turn counter clockwise from the point of total set trigger disengagement.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Adjusted it already(it was only 1 flat on the allen wrench till it tripped) a full turn ccw. Won't even fire pulling just the front trigger.

Then, it'll need to come apart for an inspection, at least - there could be a broken part in there, or maybe there's some foreign material (like a small pine needle) interfering with the triggers.

Here's the $4 dis-assembly/re-assembly download: http://www.gundigeststore.com/thomps...tions-download

Or you can read it or free here: https://books.google.com/books?id=Vv...sembly&f=false

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride