Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: FNS 9c - anyone have one?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

FNS 9c - anyone have one?

I have a friend who is looking at compact double stack 9mm. He asked me in particular about the FNS 9c and I told him I would put up a post to see if anyone has one and what they think of it. I did some searching as far as video reviews and most of what I found wass pretty positive. They look well made - come with three mags and the shooting reviews were praise worthy as far as reliability with ammo, etc. I only sw one review that stated "ammo issues" and that was from a "bubba" who I personally wouldn't say was very reliable - especially the way he was handling his hand gun.

I did a search on here and nothing really came up. It looks like it is in the same size, capacity as the S & W M & P 9c, etc. He's comparing that and others as well but we'd like to hear from someone who actually has a FNS 9c to get their take on them.

Thanks.
    Jim

Boolit Master
    I have a full size FNS40, never had an issue out of it. it shoots cast or jacketed. I found a 9mm conversion barrel to convert to 357 sig for mine.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They seem nice enough but I'm not sure what real advantage they have over the same thing from Glock/Sig/S&W etc. I always liked the FNP series, wish they had kept them around.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

FerusonTO35 - I don't know it is so much that they have an advantage over the others like you mentioned but that they are another "choice". To be honest, until my friend mentioned the FN, I really wasn't that familiar with them and what they produced other than seeing the mfg. name at times - my only semis are my CCW as I am pretty much a revolver guy otherwise. I guess after doing a little looking in to them, I would say that their 9c seems like it is kind of a "sleeper".

I watched a review by Hickock45 and it was pretty impressive. American made. Capacity the same as others - looked to be very well made and price in the same ball park as a Glock - perhaps a tad higher than a Smith, etc. When I was looking for a 9mm carry - I looked at a lot of different makes, etc. but I don[t every remember the FN being mentioned or seeing one in the LGS that I went around to as I looked. I know they make a lot of different firearms for military, etc. but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of posts on different forums on them as well on their commercial products (which from heir website is not as expansive as most of the common mfgs. we think of - or I just missed them?

Boolit Master
    The FN has some advantages over other guns with the same price. I like it because it has the same grip as the classic Browning HP I have had forever. If your not into the glock grip, you will probably like the FN. The FN has true ambi controls, something a lefty like me considers. No switching the mag release. The slide lock works on both sides, vs just a notch on one side. I tried the ambi slide lock on a Sig P320, it would just bend vs releasing. Glock does not offer ambi controls. Other guns will have one or 2 controls ambi but not the others.

A glock most do upgrades after buying. The trigger on my FN was just as good out of the box as an upgraded glock one. The FN comes stock w metal sights vs plastic. The FN also came w a metal guide rod vs plastic.

No there are few if any upgrades for the FN pistols. But not seen where it needs any.

Tackleberry41 - Thanks for the reply - appreciate it. I forgot to mention that the lefty friendly aspect of the FNS was something that I was impressed with. My friend is a "righty" but when I watched one review, that lefty friendly aspect was mentioned and that really is a big plus.

I don't know how long you've had yours. Did you find it difficult to locate one? I went to the FN site thinking that I could do a search of zip codes to find a dealer but they didn't have that feature. Just wondering how the delivery time is on them and if it is a hassle to order one through a LGS who isn't considered a "dealer" for FN?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I have an fnp 9 by my bed. It eats anything and is super accurate. The only complaint I have is the decocker is really easy to hit accidentally.

Boolit Master
    They just happened to have 2 in the case at the local shop, not seen any since. He orders what sells, and probably took a while to sell the FN. Im the one who buys 'weird guns' as it was described. But I still have my first autoloader pistol, an Argentine Browning HP knockoff. Its pretty loose and a bit beat up, but works every time, and surprisingly accurate. And will eat some truly terrible ammo. The FNS is the same grip as the browning. And why my last purchase was a CZ75.

I traded for the FNS. Had a glock 23, just didn't like the glock grip. Tried to trade it at the shop a 'friend' worked at. But his boss had some sort of liberal tax, as it was a pretty terrible deal offered. Seemed fair, my glock23, w 357 sig barrel, 6 mags, internal upgrade parts, metal guide rod, holster and mag carrier. He had a S&W M&P compact in 40 cal he could not get rid of. Did the usual gun dealer stuff of picking it apart, that it was near worthless and a caliber he couldn't sell, so all my stuff and $120 cash. Shop near me was very happy to trade even for the FNS I am much happier with, and sold my trade in 2 days. Last I heard that S&W is still collecting dust in the case a year later.

An FN in 9mm is next on my handgun list. THe only FN handgun I own is an FNX Tactical in 45 acp. It may be the best shooting handgun I have ever owned. It's way more accurate than I am. It has been 100% reliable and has not fired a jacketed bullet since it left the factory. I have only fired PC'd cast and see NO reason to change.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I have an FNS9 and its one of the best factory 9mm handguns Ive ever shot. Better trigger and sights than a Grock and cheaper to boot. Made next door to me in Columbia SC. Excellent CHF barrel which loves reloads.

Boolit Master
    That is the thing about the FN pistols, they are ready to go. Usually I get a gun, take it apart, start fixing stuff the factory didn't. Never felt that urge w the FN, its great as is, no need for upgrades. I see how people love glocks, buuut how many keep them stock?