Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington rimmed

Boolit Master

35 Remington rimmed

I've got a 35 rem Contender barrel that I think I would like to have converted to taked a rimmed case. It is my understanding that one could use 30-40 Krag or 303 British brass, formed in a normal 35 rem size die. I think normally that the brass is trimmed back to 35 rem length but I was wondering if I could have the throat opened up to keep the full length of 303 brass. This would make case forming that much easier, get rid of the poor factory throat, and make a nice, long neck for boolits. Anyone else have this done? Who would you recommend to do the work, especially someone on the forum that understands boolits for the throat?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Man
    Yep, Mike Bellm is that guy.

Couldn't you just take it to .356 Winchester and treat it as a 358 Winchester? In that action, I imagine the brass would be the only weak link....or your wrist. LOL.

I've reamed a CVA in 35 remington to 358 Win with no issues. You'd get the rim and factory brass.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    I read of it done using 303 brass but both it and Krag cases are hard to come by now.

Just my $.02, maybe find a number of cases before the transfiguration.

Boolit Master
    I have a contender barrel that is chambered for this. It uses 30-40 brass formed to .35 Rem at standard .35 rem length. I have not played with it a lot, but if I can answer any questions let me know.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I have been meaning to try it with .35 Remington factory loads. I would have to eject them with a dowel but I am curious. They should work.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Man
    The 356 has been done by Don Bowen. I believe it was an AI cartridge tho.Treating it like an 358 win is out of the question. Too much pressure. The 303 brass is available from Hornady and PPU. PLENTY around.
    Couper
    Last edited by 68 couper; 03-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 68 couper View Post
    The 303 brass is available from Hornady and PPU. PLENTY around.
    Couper
    My mistake!

Boolit Master
    You COULD send it to JDJ have it converted ti 358jdj. A444 case ne ked to 35 caliber

Boolit Man
    No sweat- Essentially a 35-303 AI is good for the chamber configuration. It's been done and would perform well.
    When you wildcat the 35 the options are vast. I like the 358 Bellm with a nice long .5" neck for lube grooves in cast. That's the 358 Win size die on 444 marlin.
    Couper

Boolit Grand Master

If you really feel the need for more case capacity and perhaps a longer throat the full length 35-303 would be my suggestion. Reamers are readily available and the reloading dies aren't as expensive as many wildcats are. However, keeping the 35 Rem chamber would be the simplest option with a throating job and simply chucking the barrel in a lathe and open up the rear of the chamber for a 303 rim. Both should be very easy and done by any competent gunsmith. The 35 Rem R is easily made out of 303 cases with standard 35 Rem dies of which you probably already have. I just formed a 35 Rem R out of a once fired SA 303 case. Was very easy to do and it should fire form with any standard 35 Rem load of which there is already a plethora of data.

Might want to turn the neck and maybe anneal the neck and shoulder.

35 Rem R on the left.....standard 35 Rem on the right.

Attachment 246116

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-01-2019 at 06:10 PM.

A rimmed .303 cartridge base and longer neck for protecting lube grooves, in a cartridge to be loaded with .35 Remington dies... somewhat like a .35-3030 only better. That would be a hard combination to beat.

If you want to keep cases full length after forming, then why not just use .32 Win. Spl. or .30-30 cases opened up to .35, which is what the old .35-.30-30 is, and reamers are readily available for rental. Brass is cheap and easy to find, and just fire form, or expand to .357" to fit.
    I'm having my .35-40 Maynard chamber rechambered to .35-.30-30 now so I can save shortening brass and use as formed, full length. .35 Rem. is 1.92" and .35-.30/30 is 2.04" length, and you can reload it using .35 Rem. dies if you only neck size cases.

Boolit Buddy
    So what's the point of taking a 35 Remington Contender barrel and reworking it to be a 35 Remington Contender barrel but with a rim? Since you're starting with the cartridge that you want, and ending with the cartridge that you already have ....
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

I did one of those many years ago. The main point is it works better for cast bullet loads at lower pressures as the tiny shoulder doesn't set back. It also eliminates the variable headspace of different brands and lots of cartridges which is a headache in a Contender.

If you could find a 35-303 reamer and dies I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. You might end up with a line on the neck if the reamer isn't a touch bigger than the existing chamber but that won't hurt anything. Just keep the loads down to 35 rem ballistics so you don't hurt your frame.

I hadn't noticed how old this thread is. Wonder what the OP ended up doing?

As for me, I'm thinking that 1915 bolt action 6.5x53R.

Boolit Grand Master

To me, the biggest attraction in Contender would be much easier plucking the cases out, especially from under a low mounted scope. In a Contender using rimless cases the extractor is spring loaded that snaps over the rim to fit in the extraction groove. The spring tension must be overcome to pluck the case out. It can be a PITA. I find removing a fired case much easier with rimmed cartridges than rimless.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I hadn't noticed how old this thread is. Wonder what the OP ended up doing?
    Geez! I hate when somebody dredges up an old post and I don't notice it's old when I respond.

Boolit Master

The base diameter of the 35 Rem. is .457. The base diameter of the 30-40 is the same. The base diameter of the 30-30 is .421-.422 which is a bit smaller. Base diameter of 303 is .460.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast