RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which mould for single shot 44 mag rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the suggestion and offer, boolits and dies should be here tomorrow, hope to get out later in the week/over the weekend, will post results.

Boolit Master
    Some would (have) question(ed) your measurements. Just to make any of those questions go away, could you post measurements of your 44 brass OD before and after firing. I did have a caliper "slip a notch" once and ruined a bunch of parts I was making.

Banned

Cast is where I live and have bettered groups shot with jacketed many times. Many of my guns have never seen a "J" word. I am of course a revolver nut and have shot one hole groups at 50 yards, 1/2" at 100 and 2-1/2" at 500.
    I question measurements since I have an old set of calipers that I can read to .0005" although it is not made for that and my friend can't read it at all. But I depend on a good mike first. He is confused with it too. Have to watch some of the calipers with a dial readout. To think they are making some out of plastic.
    I just have to think your gun is OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Work, weather etc is doing it's thing, will post with results when I can.

Boolit Buddy
    head over to the swap area for bullet trading, you'll likely get a few offers of samples you can try.

since you're new to the cast bullet thing, I'd try with a standard keith 240gr or the 429667 to start with. both will do well for hunting deer and both should shoot reasonably well with average loads to try at starting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Gents,

Just picked up a CVA Hunter in 44 mag. Headed out back today for some initial break in/sighting in etc. Just using factory stuff for now.

What I'd like to do with this rifle is use it for hunting whitetail at moderate ranges, probably not beyond 75 yards.

I'd also like to keep the round subsonic if possible. I live outside of town but there are some neighbors fairly close and like to at least keep the crack from annoying folks. Switched to subsonics in the 22s and there is a noticeable noise reduction. Hopefully this will also help with leading.

To that end I'm thinking something like a 300gr with a wide meplat- should be easy to keep at a moderate velocity, proven design on game and as it's a single shot feeding isn't an issue.

Open to ideas/suggestions.

Thanks, Matt.

Is it specfically .44 magnum, or simply .44 cal? Made for roundball or .357 or .41 sabots?

.44 magnum muzzle loader? Or is it .50 caliber using .44 cal sabots?

Edit: I googled, it's not a blackpowder firearm. Mea culpa.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=3600
    I went this route with a wide flat nose I am plaining on using it in my Handy rifle in 444 Marlin I am looking at pushing it a lot harder than what you are I believe this one is up to any thing that walks in the lower 48 states. I don't think slowing the boolit down that slow would get very good results I would think going lower than 1300 FPS would perform worth doing.

Boolit Buddy
    So much great information in the replies here.

Haven't had a chance to work on this lately and in reading through peoples answers I'm realizing I asked a lot of connected, but separate questions at once.

Going to back up a little, attack a few on their own and then come back to mould selection.

Awesome site and thanks again for such helpful advice!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123