Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which mould for single shot 44 mag rifle?

Boolit Buddy

Which mould for single shot 44 mag rifle?

Gents,

Just picked up a CVA Hunter in 44 mag. Headed out back today for some initial break in/sighting in etc. Just using factory stuff for now.

What I'd like to do with this rifle is use it for hunting whitetail at moderate ranges, probably not beyond 75 yards.

I'd also like to keep the round subsonic if possible. I live outside of town but there are some neighbors fairly close and like to at least keep the crack from annoying folks. Switched to subsonics in the 22s and there is a noticeable noise reduction. Hopefully this will also help with leading.

To that end I'm thinking something like a 300gr with a wide meplat- should be easy to keep at a moderate velocity, proven design on game and as it's a single shot feeding isn't an issue.

Open to ideas/suggestions.

Thanks, Matt.

Boolit Master

Any single cavity .44 mold will work. That's all ya need for a single shot rifle.

Subsonic will depend on YOUR loads. Heavier bullets have more subsonic loads. Your subsonic .44 is going to be a lot louder than a subsonic .22 no matter what you do. Lee makes a 310 gr mold that should work.

One thing to watch, even though it's a single shot, is you're going to be limited somewhat by OAL depending on chamber length.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

I'm not a .44 shooter butif I was I'd start here:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...1lq3isar3ledf4

Check the twist rate in the barrel to determine what bullet is going to be your best bet for subsonic loads. Faster twist = bigger bullets.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    If you just want to to try the heavy bullet without spending a lot of money, try the Lee C430-310-F
    Then you will know if you want to buy the more expensive mold or if it is even necessary. It would be best to at least slug the barrel to see what diameter is the minimum that will fill the groove diameter. Then add a few thousandths as is the normal practice with cast bullets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...nose-gas-check

Boolit Buddy
    Good points, thanks.

Barrel is 1:20.

Haven't slugged the barrel yet, hope to do that this weekend as well.

Will definitely check out the Lee mould.

Also, I have about a 5 gallon bucket's worth of COWW that I have turned into ingots, any reason they wouldn't work for this?

Should also have pointed out that while I've been reloading for almost 20 years I'm brand new to casting, this will be my first attempt.
    Last edited by mattri; 03-18-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    If you want to go for lower sound levels, you probably also want to go with the fastest powder that will reach the velocity you want.

Most all of the book loads for the 44 mag are supersonic. Most 44 Special loads are not. My books do not have any 300 + grn data. I would try to get something in the Red Dot to 700x burn rate range, start around 5 grns and work up until you hear the supersonic crack. Then back off 0.2 to 0.5 grns.

I load a lot of mid range 44s with Promo (Red Dot equivalent). With a 225 boolit I think even my mildest loads are supersonic.

With COWW, you can get medium hard (air cooled) or hard (water quench). Try both. I bet both will work fine for shooting. Air cooled would probably be better for hunting. Fill out will be easier if you add in 2% tin/pewter.

Also, what are your plans for lube? If you want to stay mild, most anything should work. Easiest would be tumble lube. Lee liquid lube works but stays sticky. Lee liquid (60%) mixed with Johnson liquid no buff floor wax (40%) is what we call BLL and does just as good without the sticky. You can buy a ready to use liquid (45/45/10) that does about the same as BLL.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-18-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi 44 mag single shot. Only 44 weapon I have. I use the NOE 290gr in mine, subsonic. I use tite group to launch them. I have the Lee 310 mold, but as usual did not really come out to .430. I leemented it, but got fed up with it and ordered the NOE, it makes beautiful bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post

Also, I have about a 5 gallon bucket's worth of COWW that I have turned into ingots, any reason they wouldn't work for this?
    None whatsoever. Should work great. If anything, you could probably soften them up a bit with the addition of some pure lead, but, yeah, they'll work fine as is.

Banned

Twist or you cripple deer. 1 in 20 means more velocity and noise. Forget subsonic. Get a slingshot. How about a bow?

Banned

like 44 man say's so eloquently.
    you could be encountering some tumbling issues when you slow things down.

one other way to a fairly quiet load is to use a too slow powder in the case.
    4198 or rl-7 would fill the case and accelerate the boolit smoother but have a lower muzzle type boom noise.
    I use 4831 in my 30-30 and it is rather quiet but still at 1800+ fps.

Boolit Buddy
    More great tips thanks, keep them coming.

Sub isn't the biggest issue just something that would be nice if it works out.

Any thoughts on Trailboss?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Have no experience with Trail Boss in .44 Magnum, but depending upon your bullet weight and barrel length 6-7 grains of Bullseye, Red Dot, 700-X or TiteGroup should put you in the ballpark of the velocity you want with a 270-300 grain bullet.

Cut the charge a full grain if the bullet is less than 265 grains, but no further as you may "stick" a bullet in the barrel!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Speed of sound can be considered as 1100 fps for practical purposes. Just how fast/slow are you looking for? A 250 grain boolit at 1000 fps would make a good short range killer, lung shots. The classic Keith (Lyman 429421) or a wide meplat design like the Lee 310 kills not with velocity, but by cutting a large wound channel. In an NEF I've used the Lee 310 with the bullet shank removed (modified the mold) making the boolit weigh right at 250 grains to kill four deer. I was driving it with a charge of Blue Dot (don't now remember the charge) at 1270 FPS. This compares favorably with the 1873 Winchesters 44-40 which was doing yoemans work 100-140 years back keeping venison on the table and that was with 200 grain bullets. Kills quite well, but be prepared to track for about 50 yards. NOE makes an excellent copy of the Keith and while I've not used it for hunting, it shoots very well indeed even when pushed along at a sluggish 800-850 FPS with 6 grains of Red Dot. The NEF barrels are 1-38 twist and a .432 groove diameter. That groove diameter is SAAMI spec for a 44 Mag rifle. I got the NOE mold at .434 to resolve accuracy issues I was experiencing with 220 and 250 grain boolits which were dropping at .431 The 44 Magnum rifle is not what one might consider a target gun but they are fun as all get out and easily tin can accurate at 50-75 yards. I don't shoot mine as often as in past but maybe tomorrow would be a good day to bring her out again

Boolit Master
    If you don't want to spend too much money, I would look at either the Lee gas checked 240 gr SWC or the the 200 gr RFPB. Either will be deadly on deer at any terminal velocity at or above 900 fps. Get the Lee sizer of .430 too. The 310 gr Lee is an awesome boolit for elk but can be a real thumper at both ends of the gun - especially a light weight gun. I have used both the 240 and 200 on deer in a muzzleloader with sabots and both worked well on deer to fill the freezer. In my 444, I have driven the 200 RFPB to 1400 fps with no leading issues which is certainly more than you need for deer out to 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite .44 bullet, which works well in my 5, .44 Magnums is Ranch Dog'e design 265 gr. LRNFP. I got my mold through Ranch Dog, but it was made by Lee. Ranch Dog designed this as a hunting bullet for Marlin rifles, but it works well in my Rossi Puma, Contender, Dan Wesson 44H, 629 and Ruger SBH...

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=71 .432"
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

If a 1 in 38" twist, forget anything but if 1 in 20" you can make it shoot. But heavy boolits need velocity and spin.
    My .44 revolver with 1316 fps was 1-5/16" at 200 yards but at 1100 fps was center of mastodon at 50.

Boolit Buddy
    OK so it sounds like the 240-265 grain might be better than?

Wonder if a longer barrel will help stabilize a heavier bullet as opposed to a revolver.
    Last edited by mattri; 03-18-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    20" twist will stabilize a 320 gr RN at 1050 fps and 2400 is a good powder.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast