Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickled Jalapenos Recipe

Boolit Master

This recipe is very close to the one I use.
    If you want a little extra spicy kick to it, add
    1/4 teaspoon of horseradish per pint.
    Last edited by Hickory; 06-06-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Is there any reason for white instead of cider vinegar? Would seem healthier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've made similar recipe. Always sad when I run out of these around December/January.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Is there any reason for white instead of cider vinegar? Would seem healthier.
    I know nothing about one type of vinegar supposedly being healthier than any other type.

I suspect that if you use any other sort of vinegar it is going to add some sort of other taste to it and I also suspect that white vinegar is going to have the most neutral taste. Feel free to experiment though.

Standard white vinegar is what I keep on-hand. I buy it in the gallon jugs at Wal-Mart and it lasts me for quite awhile between using in in cooking / cleaning / rust-removal / whatever.

Moderator Emeritus

Raw cider vinegar is only healthy if not boiled... otherwise it carries the same heath bennies of regular vinegar which is some but not a wonder cure.

Boolit Master

Made another batch last night using the Morton pickling salt. The salt tastes the same to me.

Tried them out today and they are just so much better than the store bought type of pickled jalapenos. At that rate, I don't know if I'll ever finish up the store bought ones that I have in my fridge.

By my calculations...

$0.57 for the jalapenos
    $0.24 for the vinegar

The salt and sugar would be a negligible cost since it's only 1 tbsp per cup of vinegar

and ended up with about a 32 oz container filled with pickled jalapenos.

So, let's say $1 for the jar... Cheap and so much better than the commercial brands...

Boolit Grand Master
    Habanero's is a nice touch.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Habanero's is a nice touch.
    If I had access to some of those really hot "ghost peppers", I would try one of them chopped up and added to it. That should really give 'em a kick...

Moderator Emeritus

I do end of garden pickled hot peppers, go to farmers markets end of fall and make offers on whatever they have. Slice and fridge pickle them, last year had some Carolina Reaper peppers... yikes were they hot!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I figured that it's all sodium chloride and it's dissolved in the liquid, so it should taste the same. I can understand a larger flake size being better for adhering to heat when you are salt curing the meat, but when you're just going to dissolve it in a liquid, I would think that it would taste the same.
    Pickling salt won't turn your peppers brown like table salt. That's the main difference.
    I pickle my peppers like so. Cut peppers in rings. Pack in pint jar. Add 1/4 tea spoon of salt. Add 1/4 tea spoon of alum. Mix white vinegar and water 50/50. Boil the water vinegar mix and pour in jars to cover the peppers. Place lid and they will seal. I have kept them 10 years that way in the cellar. Plenty hot for me . I also chop them up in a electric chopper my wife has and put them on my October beans . With a little cornbread and a onion your living like a king.

I forgot to ad, this recipe came from my aunt. She was a Hungarian lady and weighed about 400 lb. lol She sure could cook.

Moderator Emeritus

My motto "Never trust a skinny cook!"

Quote Originally Posted by maryb View Post
    my motto "never trust a skinny cook!"
    lol lol lol

Boolit Master
    We make pickeled Jalapenos similar to Navyvet's recipe and put them up in jelly jars--they're still crisp 2 yrs later(found one in the back of the cupboard).

Moderator Emeritus

Here in the south, pickled pepper vinegar is a staple for most of us. I really don't want to usually eat my greens without it! And maybe a little LA Hot Sauce as well. After 48 years of marriage, a good mess of greens will still excite my wife! I'll take what I can get there, I guess.

She doesn't like jalapinos and says they're "too hot," but I've learned that if I put some in with the banana peppers, she usually doesn't notice, and she sure eats heartily when I make them that way. Any of y'all have that kind of "problem" with the wife and the hot stuff?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12