RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rusted dies

Pulled the dies and rinsed them. The seating die was still ceased up. I do t know why I didn't try it earlier but tonight I took the ram from a Lee size and lube kit and put it in the press. Threaded up the die and rammed the ram in. Popped the seating stem right out.

The dies still have some rust. Gonna pickup something this weekend and hit them with it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I've read about the acetone atf thing but when I try it the two fluids don't mix.
    General Motors Dexron III or later ATF and generic acetone from wally mart mix up just fine for me. You not using any of that synthetic ATF are you ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

If you have a car battery charger you could make a simple "E" tank to remove rust from steel / iron parts. It's what all of the cast iron cookware folks use to clean up their old, heavily rusted and neglected cookware that they buy used. It'll work on your rusty dies too ...

http://lifehacker.com/5272712/turn-a...t-removal-tank
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    If you have a car battery charger you could make a simple "E" tank to remove rust from steel / iron parts. It's what all of the cast iron cookware folks use to clean up their old, heavily rusted and neglected cookware that they buy used. It'll work on your rusty dies too ...

http://lifehacker.com/5272712/turn-a...t-removal-tank
    I've used that method in the past and just got done with the intake on a IH345 earlier today. The thermostat housing in the tank right now as will the water pump housing as soon as it's degreased a bit. 4hrs at 20 amps took 40 years of flaky rust off of the intake. For smaller parts you can use a couple D batteries or even a small electronics transformer like an old cell charger. Hose the part down with WD40 as soon as you rinse it off or it will flash rust as it dries.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123