Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: A 93 Mauser in 35 Remington and a CBE mold

Boolit Buddy

A 93 Mauser in 35 Remington and a CBE mold

20 plus years ago my wife, now of 30 years, took a Mauser 93 action of my dad's and had it barrelled, stocked and chambered for 35 Remington. This was a birthday gift for me (yep, she's a good one). Over the years I shot many 100's of jacketed bullets through it, mostly Sierra 200 RN. Then about 15 years ago I started casting and have since tried to find a good cast hunting-accurate load without much success. My biggest problem was that I was pushing the bullets too fast for the alloy. In the last year or so I stumbled onto a load that is working pretty well using a CBE mold I bought. I don't have it to MOA yet and might not ever make it but hope that by tweaking the load it'll be close. The load is a 275 grain bullet water dropped from a CBE mold. The alloy is ww with a little tin added via 50/50 solder. Bullets aren't sized and are tumble lubed with LLA. The current charge is 30.0 grains IMR3031 followed by a 1 cc dipper of corn grits. Bullet is seated to the beginning of the bore rider portion. All this is seated over a CCI 200 primer. It gives about 1760 fps measured 15 feet from the muzzle. The targets shown were shot off bags at 50 yards in a brisk wind today. The powder charges were dropped from a Lee perfect powder measure. I weighed each 10th load. I have individually weighed each charge before and had slightly tighter groups, but this is much quicker loading.

The rifle still has the military 2 stage trigger and is sporting a tasco 4x scope. It's a great hog and deer outfit.

All in all the load isn't world class or anything but it is fun and I've made progress. By the way this is my 3rd CBE mold (mould) and they all cast beautifully.

David

A few pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7654.jpg   IMG_7656.jpg   IMG_7657.jpg   IMG_7658.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I am jealous...
    One day I will get a 35rem in a Small ring action...then retire my Large Ring from 35 Rem to something "fun" like Larry's 9mmx57 or some such!!
    that 35 Rem sure is a Blast to shoot tho...maybe a Guy needs more than a Couple!!!!
    Have ya some fun...and thanks for sharing

Boolit Grand Master

My 35 Rem bolt action is built on an Argentine M91 action. I put a 26" pre threaded short chambered Shilen barrel on it I got from Brownell's. Twist is 14". No action work required other than I did put shoulder blocks in the mag to keep the loaded rounds to the rear. I D&T the action for the Lyman SME receiver sight and a Mauser front sight barrel band fit in the front of the Shilen barrel. It was soldered on and then modified for a M14 front sight. I cut the butt stock (original "sporterized" military stock) off 1" shorter and put the slip/tie on recoil pad. Trigger was tweaked for a 3 lb two stage pull.

Attachment 190948Attachment 190949Attachment 190955Attachment 190950Attachment 190951
    I Use the RCBE 35-200-FN cast of COWWs + 2% tin for practice and that alloy mixed with lead 50/50 and HP'd for hunting. I use 37 gr IMR4895 in R-P cases for 2150 fps and excellent accuracy. The top target with the rifle on it shows 2 groups for a 100 yards zero; shot first group then moved down and left for zero. I then raised the sight 3 moa and shot the bottom target at 200 yards.

The rifle is extremely effective on deer.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

"maybe a Guy needs more than a Couple!!!!"

I'm going to test that. I've got two '91s. One was the first centerfire rifle I ever owned. My dad gave it to me as well. It's still in 7.65x53 but is crudely sporterized and I've recently thought another 35 Rem would be nice. The second one is still in military dress but the bolt number doesn't match and the headspacing is a bit more generous than the other. The '93 in the picture above has a 24" barrel, so maybe one carbine style and another with a heavier barrel for bench shooting. Who knows.

Larry, I've got quite a bit of work to do to match your groups.

With that plain base I'm going to back off my charge a bit at a time to see if that tightens it any. At 50 yards I had 4 groups out of 10 less than 1". Two 5/8, one 9/16, and one 13/16. When I first bought that mold I was pushing it about 1900 fps and 2 to 2.5" was the best I could do at 100 yards and it was usually worse. Looks like I'll have to load some more and go shoot again. Sounds good to me.

David

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    My 35 Rem bolt action is built on an Argentine M91 action. I put a 26" pre threaded short chambered Shilen barrel on it I got from Brownell's. Twist is 14".
    Larry, on that barrel did you have to lengthen the shank?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by whelenshooter View Post
    Larry, on that barrel did you have to lengthen the shank?
    The barrel was pre threaded for SR Mauser actions and it fit the threads of the M91 perfectly. I had to just set the shank shoulder forward. The SR barrels tighten on the front of the receiver ring so it needs to be square. I then measured the distance from the front of the receiver to the front of the bolt (held firmly back against the lugs) And lengthened the barrel shank to that length minus .005. Worked perfectly and was easy to do in a lathe.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the information.

Boolit Master
    Larry, do you drill your hollow points or have that mold?
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Grand Master

I HP them after loading using the Forster Trimmer with the Forster 1/8" HP tool. HP only needs to be 3/16" deep.

Larry Gibson

Whelenshooter-looks like you're on the right track. You might try the RCBS/Lee 200 gr. as it seems to be the gold standard in .35 cal. Your loads with that long bullet look very Mauser!
    Larry you make me want a '91 even more now.
    Best, Thomas.

I recently built a 35 Remington on an early M93 Oviedo. We shoot a Lyman 2660315 204Gr GC. It shoots at least minute of tin can and is fun to shoot.

If you look at the pictures, you'll see I addressed any concerns with gas handling. I also added a hinged floor plate, receiver sight (as he likes those) and it's drilled and tapped for scope mounts too. Still need to jewel the bolt for him.

Boolit Master

My 35 REM is just a plain old 336.

I run a lee 200gr rn fp mold, and gas check them. Dropping at 204gr.

These are running over win lrp, and.. Off the top of my head can't remember the powder charge ( grey hair excuse!)

Boolit Master

Larry, the deer in the picture looks dead, I'm sure you did not shoot it with a cast boolits because "everyone " knows they would bounce off deer. Tim

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, that buck took one look at me with that old SR Mauser and died laughing......,

Larry Gibson

Very funny Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yeah, that buck took one look at me with that old SR Mauser and died laughing......,

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Whelenshooter-looks like you're on the right track. You might try the RCBS/Lee 200 gr. as it seems to be the gold standard in .35 cal. Your loads with that long bullet look very Mauser!
    Larry you make me want a '91 even more now.
    Best, Thomas.
    I have a Lee 200 grain RNPB, is that the one? I use it frequently in this gun, but was probably pushing it too hard as well. I have some of it and the 275 loaded, just waiting for my next time to get to the range to see how they do.

Thanks,
    david

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    I recently built a 35 Remington on an early M93 Oviedo.
    Map, what front sight are you using?