Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder coated boolits and the 44mag Desert Eagle?

Boolit Mold

Powder coated boolits and the 44mag Desert Eagle?

Have any of you cast boolits and shot them in a DE? If so what was the mold, and process you used?
    My instructions were to never use cast lead bullets in it due to the AR type action.
    Thanks for any help.

Super Moderator

While I cast my own boolits and have a DE, I would not run cast through mine powder coated or not. Some may have a different opinion, but it won't change mine. You plug the gas port with lead...and yup your'e done. Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth these days.

Fwiw I shoot a lot of powder coated 300bo in my ar15. Like mag dump after mag dump, and haven't plugged the gas system yet. I didn't know those DE were gas operated that's interesting.
    Is the gas tube in question replaceable? If so I'd take the chance for sure. Ever since learning how to cast I really avoid buying bullets at all cost!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Fwiw I shoot a lot of powder coated 300bo in my ar15. Like mag dump after mag dump, and haven't plugged the gas system yet. I didn't know those DE were gas operated that's interesting.
    Is the gas tube in question replaceable? If so I'd take the chance for sure. Ever since learning how to cast I really avoid buying bullets at all cost!
    It is my understanding that it is not only not replaceable but it is very difficult to clean.

Boolit Master
    Good Question. I'll be watching the thread to see if anyone has tried it yet.

Boolit Master
    You may be able to press off the barrel extension and reach the gas tube that way, but I would personally be unwilling to take mine apart to do it, given what the barrels cost. Barring that I guess you could always go the paracetic acid route, which would work, but could cause pitting over time. And / or contamination.

In this case your best bet might be to buy a few cases of xtremes next time they go on sale.

I think it's an overblown concern with appropriate caution, but you wouldnt just be replacing a cheap ar gas tube if it went badly. You'd have to replace an entire barrel.
    Last edited by Echd; 03-25-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe there are those that do but I don't the gas port is small and not accessible if you want to shoot cast you need to gas check them with or with out PC. that is in the book that comes with mine.

CC

I cast and powder coat almost everything I load. My son in law has a 44 Mag Desert eagle that belonged to his Dad. He will not use my bullets in it. I taught him to reload and even gave him my Dillon 550 when I upgraded to the 650 but he buys Berry Plated bullets for it.

I shoot Lots and Lots of powder coated lead in my 300 ACC Blackout AR. I keep a eye on the gas tube and so far no leading anywhere including the gas tube. I even tried some in my 223 but I gas checked them. The little 223 bullets are just so small my hands have a hard time with handling a lot of them (sizing, ect) and with the 3.5 cent gas check it is just easier to buy 223 fmj bullets for around 9 cents. I just shoot more 30 cal (300 Blackout and 308) and all of them are powder coated. The 308 is not a AR. Its a Ruger American Bolt gun. No leading there and I push them to 2500fps but I do gas check them. I now only use the EastWood Ford Lt Blue. I find it coats much better and easier.

Its funny, I remember when people started powder coating, most laughed at them and now its catching on more and more.

Banned
    I read somewhere (dang if I can remember) that after you run 200 - 300 jacketed bullets through a new gun (To smooth out any roughness) it will be fine to shoot properly sized / coated bullets with the right BHN.