Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Redding Hydraulic Beam Scale

Perma-Banned

Redding Hydraulic Beam Scale

This is the Redding powder measure i spoke of earlier that takes a cap of 30 weight motor oil. I found this brand new in the at a garage sale, 5-10 bucks is all I paid for it.

Attachment 190803

Curious, I've never seen one. Had to look up how it used the oil for dampening. How well does it work?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have one and it worked very well. The trick is find the right weight oil that won't turn rancid or wick out of the well too much and make a mess. I forgot what oil I settled on. I would change it out no more than twice a year. If the oil is too heavy u might get a false reading. To light and it takes too long for the beam to settle down.

Floyd

Boolit Master
    I have been using mine for over 50 years. Bought an RCBS 505 at a yard sale and used it to check the Redding. They agreed to one tenth of a grain. A friend has the RCBS and I continue to use the Redding. I think I used 30 weight oil last time but it seems to work with any oil I've used. The paddle and oil system has never been an issue for me or caused any problems.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

I am sure I have one in a box some where.

In Remembrance

I have 2 of this type Redding scale. One has a copper finish beam and the other a nickle looking one. I kinda hate to say that I got the nickled one new back in about 1960 from P&S sales in Ok for $9.95 + shipping and still use it today. Nice find on yours.Robert

Boolit Master
    Only scale I ever had, too much of a mess to use the oil, so I just use it dry. Bought it new in the late 60's.

Boolit Master

I have 2 of the older oil dampened scales; one is a Webster and the other is a Redding. Both are as accurate as magnetic dampened scales. Just be careful and do not put too much oil in the oil well. Slows things down more and leads to messy operating. I use sewing machine oil in the Redding and Gun oil in the Wister and only cover the lower wide part of the paddles and no more. . Both work fine. I have a thing about the older scales. I also have a Lyman M5 cased scale(same scale as the RCBS 10-10) I bought in the late 60's to early 70's(memory getting bad). It is a beautiful old scale and always delivers accurate loads if I do my part. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 03-23-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just Bought one in the box with instruction sheet at the local gun show for $10.00 yesterday. Instructions say to use straight 30 weight motor oil. My settles faster than the 5-10 rcbs I have that's magnetically dampened. It dosnt seem to be affected by breezes and the furnace blower like the RCBS also

Boolit Master
    I picked up a scale (among other things) from an estate sale a year or so ago... I'd heard of this scale, seen pictures of one, heard they were rare as hen's teeth, but had never seen one in Real Life... So, of course, I had to have it...

It's an Ohaus model 314... not much info is available... Basically, it's the same as the triple-beam model 310, but calibrated in grains instead of grams... that's a 1,110 grain scale... short window of manufacture, and I'm not sure when that was...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6994.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	191095 Attachment 191096

I also picked up a Texan turret press. Just says "Texan Reloader"... I have no idea if there is a model number associated with this; perhaps someone here can help??!!! Heavy... about 30 pounds... shows some rust on the lower parts, but it's tight and smooth...

Attachment 191097 Attachment 191098

Perma-Banned
    Found these in same pawn

Attachment 191166

Dang the pawn shops around here never get the good stuff!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Redding No1 oil dampened with nickel beams 1 plain no 1 with brass beam , also a herters model B , lyman D-7 of 70's vintage and a lyman M5 all have been checked and weigh the same , I use transmission fluid in the oil dampened ones

Boolit Master
    Dad had one, but after he died a "family friend" helped himself to it. I picked up another one about 6 or 8 years ago. I favor mineral oil in the reservoir.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    StratsMan, the Texan is the second model. The red press, narrow base is a Model T, yours is a Model T-11, The third model, black with the wide base is Model 101-T-11.
    Ken

Perma-Banned
    Here is mine, my dad gave it back to me yesterday. He never used it, he stuck with his old scale. This old Redding is nice, i had forgot that it even had the original box and paperwork with it.

Attachment 191390 Attachment 191391