MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help picking a NOE expander plug

Boolit Buddy

Help picking a NOE expander plug

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me understand what expander plug I want to buy.

First of all, are they compatible with a Lee auto disk powder measure? I see some are listed as powder-through, and some aren't. For the non-powder through, what die does it go in?

I want a deeper expander for 45 colt bullets up to around 300 grain, and I want an expander for flush seated 148 grain wadcutters in 38/357. My 9mm dies are already running the 38 S&W expander from Lee.

At the same time, my problems could be solved with a looser full length resizer/decapper die, but I do not know of a source for that. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master
    The NOE expanders are solid, so no wont work with a powder measure.

Boolit Master
    I use my NOE expanders with the Lee Universal expander.

I use older RCBS steel resizing dies for a lot of my handgun resizing dies. These dies are typically larger diameter than the Lee die I started with. For example the 38 special lee die sized my brass .372 and the RCBS die does .375. The SAAMI spec for the loaded round is .379. The Lee at .372 might work fine for jacketed bullets but for lead I don't want something so tight.

Boolit Master
    The solid ones go in the Lee universal expander die, as mentioned. The powder-through ones go in the Lee powder-through expander dies, I believe.

I have the 35F for the .38 wadcutter application. I can't find it, so maybe they changed the name. Shoot Al a line. Can't speak to the .45.
    -BE

Boolit Master
    The NOE expander really wont work in the universal expander, its made for rifles, so the expander wont go deep enough for a pistol. Im gonna mod one on the lathe at some point. I just accept the extra step for proper expanding w cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have three NOE expanders I like them better than the Lyman M die.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

The NOE expander really wont work in the universal expander, its made for rifles, so the expander wont go deep enough for a pistol.
    Just throw the stock Lee expander in on top of the NOE expander before you thread the adjustment screw in place. This will allow a shorter cartridge (like a 38/357 mag) to work with the setup.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, you can workaround the short cartridge thing,
    throw a nut in the die body if it comes to it.
    I do know what you're talking about, though.