RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulged Barrel Fix TC Hawken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    The bulge doesnt seem too bad to me, it is noticeable to the eye if you look closely, definitely noticeable by feel. I have no other experience with bulges to compare a minor one to a major one. It seems like the majority feel it would be safe so I believe I will test it to see if its still acceptable for accuracy. If it is not and I decide to try a rebore, does any one have Mr Hoyts contact info?
    There is very little chance of a bulge like that getting any worse. The Hawken barrel tapers little or not at all, so if it was caused by an excessive charge or an excessive projectile weight (both very unlikely to happen with black powder) it would be right at the rear of the barrel, where pressure is highest. It would also be more elongated than the classic short ring bulge. That is caused by the buildup of gases when the bullet decelerates on hitting an obstruction.That shouldn't get any worse unless you have another obstruction there.

Perma-Banned
    Robert Hoyt's & Ed Rayl's info are both floatin' around here. if ya do a little search you should be able to dig'em up. if not I'll see if I can find the paper I have them wrote down on this evenin' when I get back from the gunshow.

Boolit Master
    another cause of the bulge could be the maxi ball moved forward while being carried. if ou are hunting with a maxi ball you have to carry the gun muzzle up at all times. I seen some worked back up to the muzzle. another good habit is after you walk a while to make shore the ball is still seated.

Boolit Master
    Consider all the above. I bulged a barrel and it now has a very productive use, it holds up some of my tomato plants. Saving a few dollars is not worth any risk to your person or anyone near you should the damaged metal have a catastrophic failure. JMHO (just my humble opinion), yours may be different. If you are ever on a range with me I'd like to know you are shooting a barrel tested to the edge of failure. AND I shoot SML and SAFETY is always 1st!10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

In Remembrance
    If it doesn't work as is, I am haqving a hard time wrapping my head around boring and or lining the bulged barrel. It is not like it will save you any money over another barrel and the bulge will still be there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    If it doesn't work as is, I am haqving a hard time wrapping my head around boring and or lining the bulged barrel. It is not like it will save you any money over another barrel and the bulge will still be there.

I agree that for a mass-produced rifle reboring or lining offers no real practical advantage over a replacement barrel, as long as you don't fall foul of the 15/16 or 1in. thing. Only experimental inclination or plain cussedness, if applicable, make those processes really worthwhile. If someone has a hand-made modern muzzle loader the priorities might shift.

The outside bulge can easily be reamoved with a belt sander, even a hand-held one, if you are prepared to refinish the barrel.

Hawkenhunter50,
    I'd send it out to have the bore enlarged until it cleaned up, then rifled.

Perma-Banned
    personally I would replace it but, the OP asked about possible fixes so I mentioned my second choice to have it bored out & relined as I think that would be the second safest way to deal with the problem.

Boolit Master
    I'd replace it too. Too many 'inexpensive' barrels around to mess with relining/reboring, especially if you want to shoot PRB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12