Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: TC Contender barrel question

Perma-Banned

Question TC Contender barrel question

I have 2 contender frames (high 300K, low 400K) and 2 14" barrels (222 and 35 Rem). Everything interchanges with each other. I bought a 50 cal Contender MZ bbl. It will not close on either frame. Looking at the barrels, the only difference is that the MZ bbl has a pin sticking down from the bottom lug. It hits (I think) the sear and prevents closing. Don't understand why the pin is there. Any reason I can't remove it to get the rifle to close and lock ? Thanks!

Oops, now it's looking like the MZ bbl only works on the G2 and that pin is called a "barrel lug stop". So what's the deal ? The frames I have lock up without any need for the pin with the barrels that have no pin.

As BP pressure is far lover, I can't imagine the MZ would be unsafe on the earlier frame.
    Last edited by richmanpoorman; 03-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.

I believe the purpose of that pin was to avoid patent infringement issues. I have not personally seen a Contender ML barrel in the flesh so to speak so no first hand knowledge but if it were mine I would remove it. I do not know if TC would modify it for you so you might want to give them a call and ask.

Perma-Banned
    I spent an hour all over the net looking at Contender barrels for sale both new and used. Probably saw everything except a MZ bbl. NOT ONE had that pin sticking down under the barrel lug. The "barrel lug stop".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tc50.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	190793

Boolit Master

As I understand it that pin will not be an issue if the barrel is used on a G2 frame.
    I was told that the G2 has fewer internals, thus less likely to be affected by BP fouling/corrosion.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Perma-Banned
    T/C claims that all barrels will fit either frame. True except for this one. Can't see as fouling is an issue as the breech is totally enclosed and the 209 priming system seals like it does in a shotgun shell. So the mystery remains.... why the pin ?

Boolit Bub
    There was a company. Don't know the name. That developed the first muzzloading Barrel for the contender G1. Then Thompson center wanted to make their own barrel but that would infringe on the patient. So to get around it they put the pin on the bottom of the barrel that prevents it from being used on a G1 frame. But a G2 frame has a depression in the receiver that the pin will sit in causing no problems. Some have just used a dremel to grind it off and using it on the G1 frame.
    The patient deal was tied to the G1. Thus they were ok to make muzzleloading barrels for the G2.
    I believe the company's name was something like
    Gonic Arms or something like that. I watched a 45 cal on eBay for sale a year or two ago. It was quite unique.
    I have my 45 cal on a G2 frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Perma-Banned
    The expert from the TC site says the MZ barrels are fatter and might hit the TG on the "G1" frames, preventing cocking. Only the MZ barrels are this fat, hence the pin to prevent usage on the "G1" frame. BUT, he also said that there were so many frame variations, to check it out. Otherwise I'll have a nice "G1" frame and buttstock for sale !

Boolit Bub
    I'll check my tc 45 cal on my G1
    Frame tonight. Or better I can measure the barrel n lug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Perma-Banned
    I took the 50 MZ on the "G1" frame apart. The barrel is not the issue. It opens all the way with the foreend off. Still won't cock because of pin. Pin comes off tomorrow and see if it cocks. If so, wood needs to come off foreend as it hits TG.

Perma-Banned
    Okay ! Got her wrapped up ! Got a G1 stock from Boyds (cheaper than factory) Cut that pin off and she closed right up and worked fine. Relieved the forend wood so it did not hit TG. Barrel came with mounts and I had a nice Nikon shotgun scope to drop on it. So if all you have are "G1" frames and are lucky enough to score a MZ bbl, it can be done.

Name:	DSCN5210.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	190990

Name:	DSCN5207.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	190991

Name:	DSCN5208.jpg