RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: NOE Star adapters for push-through bushings

Boolit Master

NOE Star adapters for push-through bushings

NOE is now listing adapters for the Star lubrisizer to use the push through sizer bushings they offer... A great deal at $12.50, IMO.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...96r544047n2245

Boolit Master
    I really don't understand this, you want to use a Star lube/sizer to size and not lube? Why spend the money on a Star when it's main feature is lubing without mess or fuss and doing a couple thou./hr. Just buy the lee equipment at much less cost.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I really don't understand this, you want to use a Star lube/sizer to size and not lube? Why spend the money on a Star when it's main feature is lubing without mess or fuss and doing a couple thou./hr. Just buy the lee equipment at much less cost.
    You are missing the point. It has nothing to do with purchasing a Star lubrisizer, it is an added (very cost effective and convenient) option for those who already own a Star lubrisizer and want additional versatility.
    Push through sizing with bottom ejection is nice. Powder-coating, paper-patching, tumble-lube designs, and resizing prelubed casts .001-.003 smaller than you sized them originally (new gun with a tighter throat, for instance) are just a few examples of where sizing without lubing is common.
    If you already own a Star, this adapter allows adding bushing sizer dies that cost less than $10 each. The adater is well-made and only costs $12.50... Mulitple dies in every caliber doesn't break the bank.

I am well familiar with the Star machine. I own at least 6 of them (the fully automated LubeMaster with MA collater is the fastest, with a production rate of 3600-3800 per hour), and dozens of original sizer dies.
    I see this option as a great deal, with a great price. It is in no way intended to replace the original design and purpose of the lubrisizer, but it does offer a new option for an already great machine that adds a lot of versatility for a minimal cost.

Banned
    Well slap me again I simply pulled the cotter key out and rendered the pump arm non-functional to obtain bullets without lube. Simple fix..take the pump arm off take the die out and clean it. Reassemble it and the result will be a sized unlubed bullet.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 03-17-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Well slap me again I simply pulled the cotter key out and rendered the pump arm non-functional to obtain bullets without lube. Simple fix..take the pump arm off take the die out and clean it. Reassemble it and the result will be a sized unlubed bullet.
    No need even to go that route. I size and check all my rifle bullets on a Star, prior to heat treating. As long as you don't apply pressure to the piston, manual or air, you don't get lube. Might take a few strokes but it runs out fast. You can even short stroke the pump, also.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

NOE Star adapters for push-through bushings

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Simple math must be lost on you. This adapter is for people that own a start and NOE's bushing system. The bushings cost $10 a piece or somewhere in that range. This is a lot cheaper than Lee's push through system. It makes no financial sense to buy a Lee push through die when NOE's bushings are cheaper. Especially when you get into sizes that would be custom from Lee.

I grow very tired of people bashing a product because they don't have a need for it. Al made this adapter at the request of multiple people. There is a market for it otherwise he wouldn't have bothered. I bought one last night. It will be significantly faster when sizing bullets coated w/ BLL. I can preload the tubes, I have the bullet feeder, and size away. No more dealing w/ placing bullets on a small ram and potentially pinching your fingers.

People on this site really need to knock off bashing products they don't want. Didn't your parents teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all?

Banned
    Not bashing this product at all. Simply saying that you won't need it if you simply take the pump arm off or as also mentioned you simply ease up on the lube pressure. Personally i see no need to purchase something if I can come up with a fix. What I posted will simply save the person considering the adapter some money. In the end its still up to the person considering the product. They now have a choice either buy the bushing or eliminate either the pump arm or remove pressure from the pump.

Boolit Grand Master

It won't save you any money if you don't own the Star dies. I don't see why this concept is hard to understand. It's for people who own a Star and the NOE bushing system. I have a lot more bushings than Star dies. They're cost prohibitive compared to the bushings.

Boolit Master
    It is funny that the idea of enhancing the versatility of a great sizer, like the Star, would find anyone dissenting.
    Here's a simple "for instance"... If a person suddenly found an interest in trying a tumble lube design (like one of the newer Ranch Dogs) in multiple 30-31 cal. military arms, NOE has nine bushings from .308"-.316" listed... at less than $10 each. That would cover a lot of possibilities (Krags, Springfields, Enfields, Garands, 30 carbines, ... the list goes on... and we haven't even mentioned the pistols) for less than the cost of 2 Magma/Star dies. Add that changing out is far faster than the Star's normal die, simply by lifting and replacing the bushing, and sizing for multiple toys barely slows you down.
    There are many uses for this type of set-up. If you don't see a need for one, don't buy one... but don't fool yourself into believing it doesn't have several applications that can be very beneficial (Think of powder coating and paper patching, as just a couple more).

Boolit Master

Sizing with the Star is so much easier than other methods. Th Noe adapter is a no brainer for me as it makes it much more affordable to use your Star for PC. Also, you can have many diameter choices for a fraction of the Star dies. If you still use lube, you can always go the Lathesmith route as he makes a good product! Noe just gave Star sizers much more flexibility!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    Sizing with the Star is so much easier than other methods. Th Noe adapter is a no brainer for me as it makes it much more affordable to use your Star for PC. Also, you can have many diameter choices for a fraction of the Star dies. If you still use lube, you can always go the Lathesmith route as he makes a good product! Noe just gave Star sizers much more flexibility!

All good points. For some like myself with a lot of sizing dies that don't need anymore it makes sense in my mind to simply not pump lube and for those considering sizing calibers for powder coat that don't own the the size lube dies it makes sense to purchase the simple push thrus. Those on the fence about which sizing equipment to purchase just know that the Star/Magma sizers when fitted with bullet feeders will out do about anything out there.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that tip. This will come in very handy, and I wasn't aware of the product.