Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Want to start

Boolit Buddy

Want to start

Wanting to give powder coating a try and just looking for a little information. Mostly what powders have you guys had the best luck with. Price is always a factor but most look really reasonable. Simple is better of course especially when first starting.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Master

get the starter pack from smoke, look in the vendor section. he has everything you need to do it right the first time.

Boolit Bub
    You can't go wrong with Smoke's powder. I fought with Harbor Freight powder for a while, and now am using Smoke's powder with the "shake and bake" method.

Boolit Buddy
    Success with Harbor Freight must be a hit and miss thing. I have been using the red for a while now. At first I had problems. Now all is well. I did have to give up my "do it my own way thinking" and go with already established ways. The No5 plastic bowl and black BBs really made it happen. Two coats and I'm done. I have some blue Powder( make not known ) that covers better . This stuff is fun
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    get the starter pack from smoke, look in the vendor section. he has everything you need to do it right the first time.
    +1. I started with Smokes starter pack and followed his directions. I coat every thing I cast now.

Boolit Man
    To get started in the simplest of way, and with the highest degree of success, get your prefer color(s) from Smoke, but I would NOT get BB's. To coat, warm your projectiles in your oven at 200° Fahrenheit for 3 minutes, (my oven's lowest setting is 275°, so I only run them for 2 minutes at that temperature). Get your boolits in your #5 plastic container with your Powder already in it, and get them swirling. 20-30 seconds is all that is needed. Dump them on a cookie sheet covered with Silicon Cookie Sheet Liner. Put them in the oven at 375° - 400° F for 10-12 minutes. Convection ovens give best results. When finished baking, break up any that are stuck with your oven glove. Dump then in cool water. I air dry them with a fan, then size them if needed. They are ready to load. One more thing, "purdy" is purely cosmetic and not necessary. If the driving bands and the bases are well covered, they will perform well.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Boolit Master

I use Smoke's and BBs. Does a great job for me and only in one coat

don't heat the bullets ahead of time but summers in Houston kinda make that a moot point

swirl for 20-30 seconds, hard shaking up and down about 3-4 times and I'm putting them on the mat for their trip in the oven.
    I do use tweeters and place each one on the silicone mat but that's just me. I also wet tumble my cases as I like things to look pretty as well as perform well.

remember this isn't just a science it's also an art and does take a bit of time to zero in on what works for you
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place