RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Interesting carbine from Chiappa. 9mm. Model # Attachment 190930M1- 9.
    Banger Jim had one of those - He seemed to like it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Do you own a Glock? I ask because the Mech-Tech has been the BEST money I have spent in a long time. I got the wire retractable stock. It's a little more money but looks better than those goofy AR buttstocks.

They are built like a tank. They are also the first firearm "I" have run across that uses an extension spring instead of a compression spring for recoil.
    I tore mine down and threaded it for a suppressor. It will hit clay targets on the berm at 100 yards all day long with boring consistency.

My one and only complaint is there's no bolt hold open on the last shot. Not a big deal to me at all, but if I were gonna complain, that'd be it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Recently went through this myself. Liked the Chiappa, but had reliability concerns. The Sub 2000 looked very interesting, especially the light weight and glock mags, but I didn't like the cheek weld, and it looks every bit as cheaply made as the Hi-Point minus the lifetime warranty. The Aero was too much money. Ended up getting a Hi Point 995. Only had it to the range once, but it really wants to shoot cast. Without hardly trying, I was able to put 10 rounds into 3" with the stock sights at 100 yards. With a little load work and scope I am pretty sure it will shoot under 2". I got the "tactical" version, but I actually think I like the old style, "planet of the apes" stock more than the tactical, as it is more streamlined. Other than the common mag capacity complaint, I wish they could shave another pound or so off of it, but at the end of the day it is just for clanging steel.
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 03-18-2017 at 09:09 PM.

I have both the Hi-Point 40 S&W carbine and the Chiappa M1-9 9mm No problems with either one. Both very fun to shoot. The M1-9 likes the rounds at max or about. Light loads stovepipe. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the Mech-Tech, I've got two, my first one is for my Springfield 1911 .45, the wife loves this one, can't miss with the red-dot.
    My second one is a .40 for my Glock 22, my 7 yr. old grandson had a blast with this one, they are both accurate and I can still use my handguns when not in carbine mode.
    Only thing that gets some getting used to is the screen door twang from the spring when firing.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Banned
    I have a 9mm Glock Mech Tech, love it. Shot about 500 chiselers in Wyoming with it last year

Thanks, guys. The Chiappa has been on my radar since they came out. Big fan of the M1 Carbine so that's one I'll end with one someday.

Well that Mech-Tech sure does have appeal. Never knew it existed before this, but that's why I asked. Thank you!

Banned

I am not a high point cheerleader but will say this. I had a 40sw rifle. Its ran like a top and was surprisingly accurate. I ended up giving it to my neighbors kid. Id don't know how many rounds that gun has ate but its surely over 10k. Yes its ugly. But I saw a new 9mm in the gunshop the other day. It had a newer stock and was camo and although wouldn't win any beauty contest actually want but ugly like mine. For 320 bucks its hard to beat bang for the buck. You can even get high capacity mags for the 9s now. If they would come up with a higher capacity 40 mag id probably buy one again. I already have an AR in 9mm so that the one at the gun shops stayed but I'm still temped to go back and get it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    The M1-9 likes the rounds at max or about. Light loads stovepipe. Gp
    Hmmm, maybe they use the same internals as the 9x21 version?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have two CX4s
    Very happy
    Recommend
    i'd recommend it as well, my wife loves ours. Own a 9mm version of the CX4 and matching pistol.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Frontier Armory in LV sells an AR in 9mm that has the mag well scaled to use Glock magazines. Available now in 9mm, and 40 is supposed to be out shortly.

Boolit Master
    9mm AR 15

Look at my location before you laugh at the grip

I really need to update this photo. The top is 5.56 and the bottom 9mm colt style mags. The 9mm has an extended thread protector that I turned from aluminum round solid stock, using a lathe. It keeps me from sticking a finger in front of the barrel which ends just after the 15" hand-guard and it gets the length closer to my 3 gun rifle.

They both have Geissele S3G triggers, pinned CTR stocks, cmore 6 moa dots, MI Gen II SS FF light weight handguards, now updated with ambi short throw safeties, and the hammerhead grips shown. This is a featureless rifle in Komniforniastan and it is very easy to run with the rifle while holding it with just my strong hand and I can work the safety with my trigger finger very easily.

Everyone who tries this 9mm seems to really enjoy it. A lot of people have problems with the light triggers and end up bump firing it. I can't seem to make it happen even if I try. They are fun and are also great competition guns.

The Ruger PC 9 was on my radar, but I was disappointed when I finally got to shoot one. The 5.56 AR took some time to get the way I wanted it and it works so well, that I copied it when I did the 9mm. Originally I thought about a 300 blk for a cheap plinker or competition AR that could use cast boolits, but the 9mm was the best choice. My competition pistol is 40 cal, but I couldn't find any good reason to have a rifle in 40 or 45. 9mm is less expensive to load for, parts are common in the AR platform, and it hits steel plates much harder than a 9mm pistol.......and brass is free and always easy to find vs. 40 cal.

I know this isn't one of the options mentioned and it is a lot more money than some of the carbines mentioned, but I absolutely love my Cz scorpion carbine. It isn't that much more than a Cx4 and uses proprietary mags. I installed trigger springs for $12 and got a few extra mags that were $18-25 each and it is a cast boolit shooting machine. Seems to like jacketed equally well, but cast is what I usually use. Low recoil sure allows alot of rounds to be placed on top of one another with a quickness.

The Hi Point gets prettier when you shoot it.

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO, go with a 9mm AR lot of cheaper options if you build and the range on the 9mm far out strips the 40 S&W.

Boolit Buddy
    The marlin camp carbines are pretty little PCCs. I've even seen one with an adapter so it could take glock mags. Worth keeping an eye peeled for at gun shows.

Shingle, would an AR dedicated to a pistol caliber really come in cheap? I mean sure you could beat the CZ price while being more expensive than hipoint, but I imagine you still wind up a good ways north of the cost of a keltec sub2k.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder man View Post
    I absolutely love my Cz scorpion carbine. It isn't that much more than a Cx4 and uses proprietary mags.
    Almost $300 more than the Cx4 on GB. Which equates to the cost of pretty nice optic.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with .45ACP, but the platforms can get a little spendy if ya go all out.

Boolit Master
    I had a custom 9 mm Luger carbine barrel made for my T/C Contender and it has been my favorite fun walking around barrel for at least ten years. Accuracy wise, it is minute of pop can at 125 yards which is as far as I can aim with iron sights. Others have tried it and they have all walked away smiling. I even picked up another extra frame for it just so it would be a permanent fixture.

Boolit Master
    Quiet Camp 9 and 30 Mauser
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast