WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Which Pistol Caliber Carbine?

I've owned (2) 40 S&W Ruger Police Carbines. Both were great rifles, especially the first one since I only paid $279.00 for it! I lost that one in my divorce, and I got rid of the second one when I needed room in the safe.

I want to get another 40 Caliber Carbine, and I have it narrowed down to the Ruger or a Just Right Carbine.

The Rugers are great, but they are commanding some pretty steep prices these days, as are the magazines.

I like the JRC for a few reasons. Price, they accept Glock mags, and they are easily converted to 9mm and 45 ACP. The Gen III appears to be especially nice, as a take-down model is offered. I know some early versions of this rifle were problematic. Does anyone on here happen to have one and want to give some feedback?

One other option is an AR style. I emailed Palmetto to see if they are considering designing a 40 S&W model, but I haven't received a response.

Perma-Banned

Hi-Point

I am not paying the price for the Ruger or JRC...but that is just me.

I can't put something that ugly that close to my face.

Boolit Master

You might look at the keltec foldable .40 that takes glock mags. My good friend has one and it is really fun. Also very compact and portable.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

For me the ugly but reliable Hipoint wins the battle hands down.

I have mine set up with a mid range Truglo Red Dot, forgrip, and a carry strap and nothing else.
    Light would be easy to do but I prefer my shotgun for close in after dark work. And it has a light on it.

We also have a 9mm that in theory is the wife's and that is every bit as much fun, and a touch more accurate at range. It has a couple of the new 20 round mag's approved by Hipoint that unlike the old promag 15 works as reliably as the 10's. So with 20 up the pipe and 4 more 10 round reloads available on tap it seems to me to be a nice fusion of firepower, reliability and low price. But your mileage likely will vary from mine.

Boolit Master
    I'm in the same predicament. Was on JRC site, yesterday. Pretty pricey, IMO, when you still have to add the price of handgun to make it complete. I don't own a Glock, MP or a 1911. Now it they would offer one for a Browning HP, I might be swayed.

I'm also a southpaw and am leaning towards a dedicated carbine like the Beretta CX4 Storm.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    The CX4 is a great 9mm carbine for lefties, with the 92 mags 30 rounders are cheap. Its also the only 9mm carbine that I have seen that always goes bang. You can set it up for left or right eject easy. Also surplus 15 round mag are cheap. Just get used to a crappy trigger. Mine works well with painted bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I'm in the same predicament. Was on JRC site, yesterday. Pretty pricey, IMO, when you still have to add the price of handgun to make it complete. I don't own a Glock, MP or a 1911. Now it they would offer one for a Browning HP, I might be swayed.

I'm also a southpaw and am leaning towards a dedicated carbine like the Beretta CX4 Storm.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Beretta also makes the CX4 Storm carbine in .40 S&W. I bought the 9mm version just before Christmas and I really love the thing. It goes with me on my weekly trips to the range. It can easily be set up for left or right hand ejection and safety and mag release can also be switched to the other side easily. I bought the version that uses Beretta 92 magazines. It came with 2 15 round mags and Beretta has 20 and 30 round mags available.

The trigger takes some getting used to. Mine has smoothed out quite a bit since I've had it.

It's no slouch in the accuracy department either.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    Kel Tech makes a decent carbine. I bought one in 40, my 9 yo really likes it. I like the Storm, just not paying for one. I was not impressed with the Just right carbine. A range a friend worked at had one. It was heavier than it needed to be. The whole ambi thing was just extra and unneeded expense. I have no issues shooting my Kel tech lefty. The Just right was trying to stick w the M4 set up, when it really screamed for some sort of light weight folding stock. The hi points work, just ugly and use the single stack mags.

Boolit Master

The jrc is ambi.
    Left or right side eject.
    Left or right side charging.
    9mm glock magwell is the best IMHO.
    Have only used, do not own as I'm a penny pincher.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post

Winelover
    I believe you are thinking of the Mech Tech. The JRC's appear to be complete rifles. Location of magazine is similar to an AR. Not in the grip. The JRC's are using common magazines such as Glock, though.

Banned

I have two CX4s
    Very happy
    Recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    You might look at the keltec foldable .40 that takes glock mags. My good friend has one and it is really fun. Also very compact and portable.
    +1

I have a friend with Keltec and his pistol in nice attache' case with mags - great carry and accurate

I have another friend with a just right carbine and the take down looks ridiculous for an AR frankencarbine
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Man
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I can't put something that ugly that close to my face.
    Reckon you've never shot one then.....

Boolit Bub
    TNW Aero Survival Rifle
    Very simple design. Easy to clean. Easy to convert to 9mm, 40 s&w, 45, 10mm, 357 sig...
    Much cleaner look and feel compared to Hi-point, which I also own.

Only potential 'issues' are
    Slide does not lock back on empty
    Price (compared to Hi-point, especially)
    Trigger is not fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Freeandcold View Post
    TNW Aero Survival Rifle
    Very simple design. Easy to clean. Easy to convert to 9mm, 40 s&w, 45, 10mm, 357 sig...
    Much cleaner look and feel compared to Hi-point, which I also own.

Only potential 'issues' are
    Slide does not lock back on empty
    Price (compared to Hi-point, especially)
    Trigger is not fantastic

Well now... Very interesting.

Another vote for the Keltec , Picked up a SU 2000 in forty and it has been a lot of fun .
    Foldable and takes the Glock mags ,... let other people shoot it and they become converts quick.
    Using one of Miha's molds putting out a 135 gr penta HP and it is very accurate , now need to find a Glock 23 to match.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Buddy
    I have had almost all of the pistol caliber carbines. The 9mm gets alot longer range performance than the .40 and the AR platform gives you the most options and you can build uppers one piece at a time to fit your budget.

Interesting carbine from Chiappa. 9mm. Model # Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prodotti_immagini_immagine_304.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	190930M1- 9.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast