MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone tried...Ideal 320378 or 323378 in a Yugo M48...loads?

Anyone tried...Ideal 320378 or 323378 in a Yugo M48...loads?

I just received an Ideal 320378 235 grain RN and it appears to be very similar to the Lyman 323378 243 grain cast.

I cast and Powder Coated some this morning out of 16 BHN COWW + 1% Sn and they came out @ .3246" and 251.5 grains avg.

Attachment 190740
    I checked them with a Hornady OAL gauge and will seat at the crimp groove with about 3/16" to spare before touching the lands.

Attachment 190741
    I found a load for a Barnes SP, 250 grain...with RL-15 @ 42 grains and 2250 FPS in Cartridges of the World and found some loads in an old Lyman manual for a 246 grain cast Lyman 323378 using 12-14 grains of Unique for 1160-1455 FPS...another with 16-20 grains of 2400 for 1342-1557 FPS and lastly...17-21 grains of IMR 4227 for 1337-1527 FPS.

I might just scrap these first rounds of general mix Pb and re-cast out of Lyman No.2...depends on what you fellas come up with for recommendations.

Have any of you fellas tried either of these cast and worked up any loads you will share?

thanks...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have been looking at casting for my M48. Was probably going to go with one of the NOE molds about 215gr or so.

Boolit Master
    I really like the NOE 325365 216 Spire point.
    I shoot it in all my Mausers , German, Czech, Turk, Spanish and including a bunch of 24/47 Yugos.
    I say it shoots as good as the Round Nose Bore Riding designs for my type of shooting

Banned

try 17-18grs of 2400,
    or back the rl-15 down to about 30grs and come back up again.

Boolit Master
    I like the looks of that boolit--I'm having feeding problems in my Yugo--won't feed Privi 196gn soft point ammunition. Been looking for a boolit design that will feed--that looks to be one that will!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the oversize LEE 225 gr. It weighs about 250 lubed and gas checked.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Can't say whether it will feed or even fit into the magazine...haven't gotten that far yet, too dang many irons in the fire at the moment.

Whether it does or not is not the primary concern as I'm satisfied loading single shot...this rifle prolly won't join the hunt rifles in the cabinet, it's just a cool old rifle I like to learn with goofing around with different projectiles.

Ultimately, I'd just like to see how accurate and fast I can send PC'd Pb and do it on a node with open sights. But...I still have to replace the trigger group with something smoother. I've been neglectful here in following through, I haven't made this a priority...now this summer I have to freshen up the Rancho for a wedding next spring, 2018...these 'honey do's' are getting in the way of play!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I have been looking at casting for my M48. Was probably going to go with one of the NOE molds about 215gr or so.
    I use the LEE 175 gr. RN.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Your bullet is an exact match of the original 8x57 "J" bullet used mostly in Gew 88's. I have an original bullet and they look like twins. It will not feed when set at the crimp groove on any "newer" (post change to spitzer bullet) mausers that I've tried it in. You ca probably get the first one in, but I doubt 5 would slide into the magazine without getting stuck. You're lucky to have gotten .324 out of it, as the two that I have (older ideal and younger lyman) both come in around 321-2. I use it in my Gew 88 (unturked with pristine BBL) over 16-20 grains of 2400. I think that's the hardest I want to push the old Gew 88, it's 1891, and was hard to find. No need to blow it up.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!