RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identify arisaka

Boolit Mold

Identify arisaka

I cant identify this gun... just bought it... looks like a 38 6.5x50 based on bore size .. no imperiell marking nor does it look like anythi g has been scratched off any help would be great! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170316_121926.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	190734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170316_122033.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	190735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170316_121938.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	190736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170316_121913.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	190737

That's a Type-I rifle, actually an Italian Carcano made in Italy for Japan.

Boolit Master
    Yep a mix of East and west to help the Japanese in the war effort

Boolit Master
    I have the same rifle. Mine was made by Beretta. Most of them when to the Jap navy. Really a accurate rifle one inch groups at 50 yards with mine. Not as common as other Jap rifle

Also called a Japtalian. They did not have gain twist barrels like the Carcano.

I've got one too, but it was sporterized by bubba. Unless I can dig up a stock, I'll probably sporterize it proper and rebarrel it to....something??

Dave Emary from Hornady wrote a neat article on the Carcano, while it doesn't cover the Type I per say it still a good read: http://personal.stevens.edu/~glibera...ano/emary.html

"The Carcano rifle is a well made rifle that is by no means weak or poorly manufactured. They are reliable and strong rifles that are fun to shoot and offer a tremendous variety of types and markings for the collector. I will admit that they are a rather utilitarian rifle as compared to some others. However, they are probably one of the most efficient, cost effective, user friendly battle rifles produced in their era. The rifle, ammunition combination properly loaded is capable of accuracy that will rival the most accurate of the Mauser chamberings."

Boolit Buddy
    I have one also. I like the double stack magazine , don't need the enbloc clip to make it a repeater. And yes, its accurate.

Yes, the Mauser type magazine would be great compared to the Mannlicher type clip.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Thanks so.much for.your help guys
    .. to clarify... is it a carcano action then and what it chambered in? Still the 6.5 x 50? Also is it possible to know what year roughly? Was it qas the russo japanese war? I hear its a pretty good cartridge thanks for allthe help i can put tha to rest!

It is 90% sure to be a 6.5 Jap. (6.5x50mm) They were made for the Japanese by Italy in WW II, total production said to be 60,000. 49.7 in. overall, 8.97 lbs. empty, internal box magazine loaded with 5 round stripper clip, utilizes Japanese bayonet, ordered from Italy in 1937, superseded by the Type 99 7.7mm in 1941 and used mostly as training rifles thereafter. If they did see combat it was in China. The one shown in your photos appears to be in exceptionally nice condition, not often encountered like that.

Boolit Master

I saw one of the japitalians years ago (though it looked 100 percent like a Type 38 including the palm safety) at a Nashville gun show pristine inside and out (YES I still regret not buying it) what drew me to it, was the "fake" stock.

Had to be fake since it was walnut, then I was amazed when I saw the tell tale line in the two piece Arisaka stock.

Would not mind one of the Chinese rebores to 7.62X39 that were for sale in the 80s.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-18-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: additional statement
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

TCLouis,

Here's a Bubba'd Carcano I fixed up and rebarreled in 7.62x39 complete with a home made scope base that clears the e-clip. Practical, no, but its fun non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    TCLouis,

Here's a Bubba'd Carcano I fixed up and rebarreled in 7.62x39 complete with a home made scope base that clears the e-clip. Practical, no, but its fun non the less.

That's a great looking sporter, map! And the stool needs to be in MY shop.....
    Best, Thomas.

That's very nice, map55b-- and you say it still works with a Carcano clip?

That's very nice, map55b-- and you say it still works with a Carcano clip?
    I was wondering that also.......

Spot on correct. It is a Type I. The backstory is interesting. The Jap Army and Navy did not coordinate and were bitter rivals. The Army had control of the arsenals and would not supply rifles to the Navy. Because of an agreement, Japan had to buy such needed military supplies from an Axis power, in this case Italy.

The Italians produced these rifles with stocks and bottom metal like the Arisaka. However the Italian rifles did have tighter chambers and better barrels, making the more accurate than the Jap produced products. The Type Is were shipped on freighters and transferred at sea to Jap cargo subs for the final run to Japan.

Most of the Type Is were never issued as the Jap officers, being Japs considered all non-Jap made weapons inferior to Jap made weapons. So most of the Type Is, were left in storage at the docks, where they were found the US when we landed. That is the reason why so many of them are in great shape.

I bought a Bubbed Type I from Glen Fryxell a couple of years ago and did some work on it. It is a very good rifle for what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Japanese Type I (640x193).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I saw one of the japitalians years ago at a Nashville gun show pristine inside and out (YES I still regret not buying it) what drew me to it, was the "fake" stock.

Had to be fake since it was walnut, then I was amazed when I saw the tell tale line in the two piece Arisaka stock.

Would not mind one of the Chinese rebores to 7.62X39 that were for sale in the 80s.
    Probably not a fake. The Type Is did us a hardwood stock with the dovetail joint like the Arisaka. The finish on the wood was of dark brown color and unless you took a good look at the way the grain ran, it could well be mistaken for walnut.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Scottybronco- the 6.5x50 Arisaka is a fine cartridge. It's Contender doppelgänger -the 6.5 JDJ- was considered a fine big game round. If the bore is as good as the exterior you've probably got a fine shooter. Let us know.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

TbG
    6.5X50 is a great little cartridge in the rifles IF one is willing to ignore an oversized chamber, at least every in every one I have seen. I am assuming they did that to overcome any dirty ammo issues in combat, because otherwise the machining is first rate.
    Trust me the 6.5 JDJ in a Contender will outperform the 6.5X50 in the same platform. Someplace floating around on the internet there is a story about th6.5X50 in the Contender written by "Rich Jake" (RIP).
    If one had one of the Type 38s with the oversized chambers, the 6.5X257 or 6.5X51 would be good candidates to correct the chamber.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-19-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    TbG
    6.5X50 is a great little cartridge in the rifles IF one is willing to ignore an oversized chamber, at least every in every one I have seen. I am assuming they diod that to overcome any dirty ammo issues in combat, because otherwise the machining is first rate.
    Trust me the 6.5 JDJ in a Contender will outperform the 6.5X50 in the same platform. Someplace floating around on the internet there is a story about th6.5X50 in the Contender written by "Rich Jake" (RIP).
    If one had one of the Type 38s with the oversized chambers, the 6.5X257 or 6.5X51 would be good candidates to correct the chamber.
    In a old gun reloading magazine late 1960s it tell about undersize ammo not oversize chamber. This guy had special dies made and used 35 rem brass to fit the chamber instead of reloadable 6.5 Jap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast