Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Slimming Down a Renegade?

Slimming Down a Renegade?

Have any of you fellas Reworked a TC Renegade to slim it down?

One of the projects I'd like to get around to one day is taking extra wood off a Renegade decreasing that fence post feel and using an octagonal to round barrel. So, any how, thought I'd ask to see if anyone would post photos of their concept of how to. If anyone would care to share I'd love to see how it worked.

Boolit Master
    Got a factory made 54-cal slim jim Carbine I purchased from Fox Ridge Outfitters. Its model name > White Mountain Carbine.
    About as nice a light weight side lock rifle one can stroll thru the woods with.

Boolit Master
    @ Good Cheer
    That sounds like an interesting Idea.
    I happen to have an old Renegade stock I might play with some Ideas on the spare stock.
    My barrel is octagon, so in the past, I did think about shortening it a bit.
    That Idea came about durring an Elk Hunt, when I wished I had brought along a hack saw after humping that rifle up and down the hills.

Perm-Banned
    i did just what you are thinking about. the stock where your cheek goes i took a lot off. i also had duglass make me a 1 inch round barrel 1/18 twist 45 cal. 36 inches long, shota 480 grain pp in it and it was and is a powerful tack driver. sold it to a police officer in ill.

Perma-Banned
    don't have any pix but, I've both slimmed and shortened a few Renegades as well as Hawkens & New Englanders. in my opinion the New Englanders turned out the besst & with less work.

findin' yerself a nice White Mountain Carbine would be a much easier more labor friendly approach.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    don't have any pix but, I've both slimmed and shortened a few Renegades as well as Hawkens & New Englanders. in my opinion the New Englanders turned out the besst & with less work.

findin' yerself a nice White Mountain Carbine would be a much easier more labor friendly approach.
    I just passed up a brand new unfired TC White Mountain Carbine in a pawn shop, i could have got it for 300, They look like a New Englander, stock wise. What are the differences bubba? Besides the obvious half octagon/round barrel, rubber butt pad

Perma-Banned
    shorter, lighter, fast twist barrels in the 45 & 50 calibers. they varied over the years so, it could be 1 in 20, 1 in 28, or 1 in 38 twist. but for some reason the 54 has the T/C standard 1 in 48 twist.

and if yer strictly a roundball shooter ya can hunt up a Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine which is the same gun except it has the 1 in 66 twist.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    shorter, lighter, fast twist barrels in the 45 & 50 calibers. they varied over the years so, it could be 1 in 20, 1 in 28, or 1 in 38 twist. but for some reason the 54 has the T/C standard 1 in 48 twist.

and if yer strictly a roundball shooter ya can hunt up a Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine which is the same gun except it has the 1 in 66 twist.
    Thanks bubba, You know your TC's!! I personally am not a fan of the New Englander, they just don't fit me well, and the TC white mountain carbine reminded me of my New Englander. I am not a fan of the QLA muzzle either, i don't remember if that new white mountain Carbine had the QLA or not? The One i would LOVE to find at a garage sale for a couple bucks is a TC Hawken Cougar Elite, with a Williams FP TK Hawken Peep and Elevator Gib Lock, a Stainless Steel .54 Cal GM LRH Barrel attached to it, and a Lyman 17AHB Globe with a Lee shaver fine post bead insert, not asking to much is it?

I have often thought about a 1/2 round barrel Renegade. I may have an extra stripped barrel in 54 cal if someone would want to give it a try. I gave $75 for the barrel. Bore is not perfect, but it is still a good shooter.

I own two White Mountain carbines; one flintlock and one caplock.

If memory serves me correctly as I have never owned a New Englander, only its plastic stock cousin the Gray Hawk....another difference between the New Englander and White Mountain is the hooked breech system.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!