Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman cast bullet handbook #1

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman cast bullet handbook #1

This is kind of the holy grail of bullet casting manual collecting, at least it is for me. While not real hard to find, if you're willing to pay a premium, reasonable priced copies in good condition are rare. I paid $24 for this one on Amazon, but the original white colored spline was mostly gone and it was a non-standard size, just like you'd expect from Lyman (ie: similar to the choice of machine screws), luckily I have a spline machine, so I trimmed all the pages slightly, and re-punched them for a standard spline, of course I lost a bit of each page, as you can see in the photos. The rest of the handbook is in great condition, including a foldout poster, so it was well worth the effort.

While most of us, refer to this as the "Lyman cast bullet handbook #1" (and that's why I worded the title that way, for search purposes), that actual title is "Handbook of cast bullets" copyright july 1958. I'm posting photos of my favorite pages, as there is some neat Artwork, I'm hoping this doesn't violate any copyrights?

Cover

inside cover

Photo opposite of first preface, H. Guy Loverin

Note from Charles E. Lyman III, credits/thanks to those who helped put this book together.

typical data page

Inside back cover

Front of foldout poster inside back cover

Back of foldout poster inside back cover

outside back cover
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Great book, I'd like to have a print of the back cover !!
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Perma-Banned

Nice...

You got a pretty good deal.

I saw a really nice original recently and IIRC they wanted about $80 for it. I would not pay that if I were just looking for the info as you can get a new reprint...looks identical to the original...for about $25.

Perma-Banned
    This is really neat to see!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing this bit of history! Very cool!

Ive got several old issues from my dad's stuff. Theyre in great shape! I just leave them on my shelf with my other load data.
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Boolit Man
    Notice on that back cover, the woman is pouring hot lead next to the mans bare foot. Just a curious observation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Notice on that back cover, the woman is pouring hot lead next to the mans bare foot. Just a curious observation.
    She teach him, lol. I think he is looking them over as she casts.

Boolit Master
    I looking for my in a box somewhere?? I got my on fleabay but it was with an RCBS casting box also. both in great shape 75 % or better. Ton of info in them.

Thanks for posting pics.

In Remembrance

I was just minutes too late once to purchase a framed red fold out from that manual that showed the cases and lead boolets in a large circle. It sold for $12!Robert

Boolit Master

Sure brings back a lot of good memories to an old dinosaur. Thanks, james

I've had an original copy of that edition for years now and it definitely is an interesting read. I wonder how many people these days still cast bullets wearing a tie like in the picture of Guy Loverin?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I have a copy of this manual, ( white spline). It once belonged to my casting, reloading mentor. His library consisted of a little over 9,000 books and magazines, at his passing his daughters sold them all to me. This Lyman manual has been my avatar for some time now. Thanks for posting.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    What A Find!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

What I noticed is on the fold out poster there was reference to Saeco lead pots and sizers, where they at one time affiliated with Lyman?

Boolit Master

Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yup, I got mine from Cornell too.

And I always cast wearing a white shirt and tie.

Nice rebinding of a true classic. Good work, and thanks for sharing -- even though the fold-out is a reminder of the NIB Lyman Ammunition Maker that I kick myself for not buying.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Those comb binding machines are very handy. When they upgraded at work(before I retired) I got the old manual machine. I didn't use it very often but when I did it was the only thing that worked. I printed out a copy(at work) of Paco Kelly's tome on hand guns and lever actions and comb(same as OP's spline) bound it. When I told him about it, he sent me a signed copy of an updated book. Title escapes me.

I did the same thing when I bought the early copies of The Fouling Shot. Back then they were xerox copies and stapled. I even had to recopy with enhanced quality. Well worth it, very interesting.

A few years ago someone else posted pictures of Guy Loverin in his white shirt and tie. We commented on it then too.

BTW I gave the machine to the small local library provided they let me come in a use it occasionally.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast