StainLess Steel MediaADvertise hereRotoMetals2Graf & Sons
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: .36 Cal Maxi Mold

  1. #1
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215

    .36 Cal Maxi Mold

    I'm kind of stoked! I just picked up a steel Lyman maxi mold for my .36 Seneca for $31. Now I don't have to get them from TOTW. Goes to show you that sometimes its the little things in life that make you happy. LOL

  2. #2
    Perma-Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,744
    NICE find jjarrell! I had the TC Version, i ended up selling it without ever trying it. The 'character' that bought my TC mold collection was gonna have them duplicated in steel, they were suppose to be ready over a month ago? at least he was ready to take my money for a steel copy then, I keep thinking they will show up on here anyday? I would love to buy one in steel! I didnt know that Lyman did a .36 Maxi? I will have to look into it. This is the one i had, mine had the rounded lube grooves (which i prefer, they fill out better)

    Attachment 190694

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    Well I think its steel. I haven't received it yet. I found it on an auction. I thought all Lyman molds were steel. The Lyman part# is 364615 for the mold. I'd be fine with aluminum as well. My Lee aluminum molds do a good job for me. I have no complaints with them.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 03-16-2017 at 09:51 AM.

  4. #4
    Perma-Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    Well I think its steel. I haven't received it yet. I found it on an auction. I thought all Lyman molds were steel. The Lyman part# is 364615 for the mold. I'd be fine with aluminum as well. My Lee aluminum molds do a good job for me. I have no complaints with them.
    I just ran those Lyman numbers and its a Steel mold, I think all of Lyman's molds are Steel. I MUCH prefer a steel mold over Aluminum. I will have to keep my eyes open for one of those!

  5. #5
    Perma-Banned


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Collegeville, PA
    Posts
    1,920
    Man let me know how it works out. I would love to find one of them.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    gardners pa.
    Posts
    2,542
    I have to get to the shop over the mountain from me they have a lyman .36 maxi for sale it is new. they have $28 on it.

  7. #7
    Perma-Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have to get to the shop over the mountain from me they have a lyman .36 maxi for sale it is new. they have $28 on it.
    You better grab it, that's a good deal!!

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have to get to the shop over the mountain from me they have a lyman .36 maxi for sale it is new. they have $28 on it.
    Yeah, I second what 54bore said. You had better snatch that one up. Maxi molds in .36 caliber go for between $60-$120 on eBay. I've seen .32 Caliber maxi molds go for over $250 on there.

  9. #9
    Perma-Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    Yeah, I second what 54bore said. You had better snatch that one up. Maxi molds in .36 caliber go for between $60-$120 on eBay. I've seen .32 Caliber maxi molds go for over $250 on there.
    32 Cal TC Maxi Ball Molds are worth their weight in gold! They can have them! I am not a big fan of Aluminum Mold blocks, i MUCH prefer the rugged durability of a good Steel mold.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	191000
    I got the Lyman Maxi-Ball mold blocks for my .36 cal Seneca in the mail today and they are steel 54bore. I figured I'd see how they cast, so I cast 50 .36 cal maxi-balls and they all measured .364 diameter, but they weighed in a little light. The lightest was 120gr even, and the heaviest was 121.2gr, so it seems to be a pretty consistent mold. I was under the impression that a .36 cal maxi weighed 128gr though. I know my lead is pure because I also cast some .535 balls and they weighed in at a perfect 230gr. I'm not concerned about this small weight difference because the little maxis are very consistent, but I am curious as to whether any of you have experienced this.

  11. #11
    Perma-Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	191000
    I got the Lyman Maxi-Ball mold blocks for my .36 cal Seneca in the mail today and they are steel 54bore. I figured I'd see how they cast, so I cast 50 .36 cal maxi-balls and they all measured .364 diameter, but they weighed in a little light. The lightest was 120gr even, and the heaviest was 121.2gr, so it seems to be a pretty consistent mold. I was under the impression that a .36 cal maxi weighed 128gr though. I know my lead is pure because I also cast some .535 balls and they weighed in at a perfect 230gr. I'm not concerned about this small weight difference because the little maxis are very consistent, but I am curious as to whether any of you have experienced this.
    Nothing uncommon there, 8 grains is nothing, if you had several .36 Cal Molds side by side they will all likely throw different weights

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Nothing uncommon there, 8 grains is nothing, if you had several .36 Cal Molds side by side they will all likely throw different weights
    I sorta figured that. It looks like that is just what the mold will throw. I know the lead is pure, first because it's from RotoMetal, and second the .535 balls throw at 230gr. Which is what that size ball is supposed to weigh with pure lead. Also, like I said. I'm perfectly fine with the slightly lighter maxi ball. I doubt the little piggies or coyotes will notice 7-8 grains.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    At least they say its 99.9% pure.

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    gardners pa.
    Posts
    2,542
    well I got over the mountain today. that .36 mold is mine. it is new never been on handles. it was 29.99. now I have a maxi mold in .36,.45,50 and .54.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    Bob208 you're loaded for everything from mice to moose now!

    I figured out why my Lyman maxi balls are lighter than the TC maxi balls. The one on the left is from TOTW and weighs 128gr on the nose. The one on the right is from my Lyman mold and weighs 120.6gr. Notice the lower land is thinner on my maxi than the one from TOTW. My maxi from the Lyman mold is also .010" shorter overall than the one from TOTW. I don't mind that they are a few grains lighter now that I know why. The Lyman mold is still very consistent with only a 1.2gr standard deviation in 50 hand cast maxi balls. Close to half of the 50 cast were the exact same weight too. So I can cull and get them all exactly the same weight. I can live with that. The top bearing land is dead on at .364", with the two lower lands that line it up in the bore are both .358". Now lets see how they do at the range.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxis.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	191463
    Last edited by jjarrell; 03-23-2017 at 11:02 AM.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master Squeeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ coast
    Posts
    346
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00534.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	191500The one on the right is my .36 'maxi' 270 grains, and clovers at 100...in a 14 twist. Next i'm going to start stretching longer. Thats a .50 .45 .36 L-R in the pic

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00534.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	191500The one on the right is my .36 'maxi' 270 grains, and clovers at 100...in a 14 twist. Next i'm going to start stretching longer. Thats a .50 .45 .36 L-R in the pic
    Two different rifles for two different purposes I would imagine. Not much use for a 270gr bullet when small game hunting. I'm glad you've got a shooter though.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master Squeeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ coast
    Posts
    346
    Thats just a test/ R&D gun I plan on using for groundhog and coyote. It IS really a whole different animal, and nowhere near a typical .36. I do have several slower twist .36 But for some reason, I dont have a lot of luck with a maxi in .36. Fine in .32, and a cant remember how they did in .45. The only thing I really use a maxi in is a .32

  19. #19
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairborn,OH
    Posts
    215
    I'm getting about 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards with the TOTW maxi balls out of my .36 Seneca. Roughly the same as my round ball loads out of it. Try 20-25 grains of cream of wheat over the powder charge. It tightened up my groups from about 4-5". I haven't had a chance to shoot any of what I have cast yet, but they are more consistent in weight than what I get from TOTW. We will see.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    gardners pa.
    Posts
    2,542
    I have a barrel that was made for .45-70. I am thinking of breaching it and using it on a underhammer action. try it with the .45 maxi. will have to make a false muzzle for it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check