Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Week Moment Purchased a Desert Eagle 44 magnum

Banned

Week Moment Purchased a Desert Eagle 44 magnum

Ever had one of those moments when you saw something sitting in the display case and you simply had to have it? Had that moment the other day when I saw a used Desert Eagle with scope sitting on the display shelf leering at me. I looked at it long enough until I had to ask if I could see it. Once in my hand it was all over. As I held it up and looked thru the 2X scope something inside me said buy it. At that point it was all I could do to restrain and not yell out I'll take this one, that one, and the one in the other case. It was horrible the feeling that I simply couldn't say no.

Now, for those trying to master how to explain to the wife how to justify the purchase I'll let you in on a secret. My exact words were "Honey, I already have 500 empty cases and the reloading dies, powder and bullets" It would be a waste if I didn't have that gun. Works every time. Yet they never seem to remember that you just purchase a 44 magnum a few months ago.

Now, to learn what to feed this animal. Been told not to load lead bullets as it will clog the gas port and it will turn the semi automatic into a single shot faster than your 8 year old can go thru a box of 22's.

So, any Desert Eagle loads will be greatly appreciated.

They are fun to shoot. Had one in .41 magnum in the mid nineties and shot it as much as I could afford.
    Ended up trading it off because the slide would cut the top of my hand. They have put Beavertails on them since then
    so that shouldn't be a problem now.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    I don't have loads for you as I never owned a 44, only .357 that I traded to a friend who couldn't take shotgun recoil after heart surgery.... but I do have some experience on others who have owned DE 44's...you need to get a firm grip on them... one guy had feeding problems with his gun...I had no problem with it using the same loads... after a little searching I found some folks had the same issue id'd as "limp wristing" I gave him the feedback and he got mad and sold the gun before letting me know it... I don't think you should have problems with shooting a gas-checked and properly sized bullet in it.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Buddy
    I know that feeling all too well. That's how I got my kimber. My wife has just learned to not ask anymore.
    Onto loads. Good luck, never loaded for 44mag is imagine with enough testing however you could shoot lead without an issue. If they do it in ar's why couldn't you do it in something that's a slower velocity?

Boolit Master
    Seems powder coating would solve any gas port leading issues.

Is it the gold plated deagle?
    Keep moving forward!

Banned
    No not gold plated or gold colored just plain black.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    A mate of mine has a DE in 357 and that gun wants hot reloads.
    I started at max. -10% but no, only max. loads.

Boolit Master
    6bg-I applaud your stout-hearted exercise of your second amendment rights!!

As for the wife thing, my answer can be summed up in one word-Jewelrystore

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    6bg-I applaud your stout-hearted exercise of your second amendment rights!!

As for the wife thing, my answer can be summed up in one word-Jewelrystore

After 2 Weatherby vanguards and a Colt Hbar AR it cost me $1200 at the jewelry store.....................

Banned
    I've got a great wife and a better one since I got her into shooting. She now owns 12 handguns and rifles. She has more than enough jewelry now my problem is keeping her out of the gun shops.

Perma-Banned

I did the same thing. I bought one used for no other reason than I always wanted one. The whole time I was telling the dealer I can not believe I am buying this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Seems powder coating would solve any gas port leading issues.
    It does. Upper end loads h110/ww296 is your friend. Don't rest the magazine on the bench for a rest, it must float or it will jam. This is one of the more fun guns you'll have but have no practical use for.

Ebner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    It does. Upper end loads h110/ww296 is your friend. Don't rest the magazine on the bench for a rest, it must float or it will jam. This is one of the more fun guns you'll have but have no practical use for.

Ebner
    yup, all of the above

At one time, I had 14 Desert Eagles. Now I'm down to just one of each of the 5 calibers they have been made in.

To me they are a marvel of the gunmaker's art. That said I have fired the .357, the .44, and the .50AE. To each his own; I don't care for a pistol that out weighs my 94 Win. 30-30. But they are COOL.
    Best, Thomas.

I haven't shot one in 25 years or so. Had a hard time gripping that huge grip well enough to get it to cycle reliably. Ended up finding if I put the thumb of my left hand on the bottom of the trigger guard and put tension downward it would cycle just fine. Very accurate and fun to shoot, but the trigger on 44mag one I shot was horrible next to my S&W 29 or 629.

I have a first generation in 44. It really likes 9.00 grains of Titegroup sitting under a 250 grn home brewed jacketed soft point.

I tried shooting lead out of mine once and due to the polygonal rifling the bullet would not pick up the spin needed to stabilize.

Also be warned that when it jams you will be able to right off that piece of brass. I have 150 pieces that are loaded exclusively for the DE. Lose 1 or 2 pieces every time I shoot it due to jams or the fact I can't find it on the range.

One other thing, When cleaning the bolt be very careful not to send the bolt alignment pin flying. It will cost between 25 and 30 dollars to replace just the little cap. Guess how I know.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned

I have shot many in .44 and love the gun except for the weight. All have been accurate. It is a beast and the only semi ever to hold up to the mags.
    I have never figured how they make the gas port hole. I never shot cast so don't know what would work. PC might be best.