Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black powder pistol and patch lube

Black powder pistol and patch lube

I tried reading the lube recipes, but most pistol lubes seemed to be the pan type lube I would put on my conical bullets, or cowboy shooters put on 45LC or 45-70 bullets to fill the grooves. Kind of a bit harder than I want for finger lube.

I was looking for a softer recipe for finger use on BP Pistols and for soaking and pre-lubing patches for round balls.

Boolit Grand Master

Alot use unsalted crisco on the Cap and ball revolvers. It can be melted and patches soaked in it and set on wax paper to cool. Its soft and easy to use. a finger or popcycle stick can place it in the cylinder mouth over the bullet on the cap and balls. You can finger lube conicals easily. And melted patches dipped into it and prelubed. Cold patches dip quik have more build up allowed to warm and drip they have a thinner evener coating. If you want the crisco even softer a little canola or olive oil added softens it up.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Olive oiled felt wads work well . 44 cal for example , would have between 1 and 2 tbsp in 100 wads in a zip lock bag .

Olive bee is also very good and can be softened or firmed up with the olive oil as needed . It can be softened to a point that it can be pushed through a marinade injection syringe to "caulk" around the seated balls .

The olivebee can be heated to liquid and soaked into felt wads or poured thin punched out in lube cookies .

There are also tallow recipes , lard can be substituted in them .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Crisco

The Crisco will work straight, but just seems a bit thick and would work better thinner. I guess I will just experiment with parts and adding oil. Unsalted, do you store it loaded? I mean, like when you shoot it and there is not sodium everywhere on it then?

What is Olive Bee? I tried a google search and turn up nothing.

I've grown tired of buying things if I can make them. I am going to make my own lubed patched for the rifle round balls and the Emmert's lube I use on my REAL's is a bit hard, but that said I have not tried dipping them in hot lube and cooling. Although it would seem I would need a large production area to make a lot. I normally pan lube right on the kitchen stove.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Olive oil and bees wax .
    It's not as cheap as it once was .

I would have to look it up for proportions . I believe it can be found in the lube thread .

This is an off site link that brings up 30+ threads with recipes for BP specific lubes and their best applications . Use caution they are an after work beer buddies forum and after the facts are clear thread drift sometimes becomes a little course ,volumes of good information however.

http://gunslingersgulch.com/index.php?action=search2
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

you can soften that Emmerts down some too by adding a bit of the oil.
    I make a mix of bees wax Crisco and lanolin [60-40-10] to cover the cylinder on our BP revolvers.
    from time to time I need to re-melt it and add a little more Crisco [which is pretty much hydrogonized vegetable oil]

Boolit Master

For patches I use my Modified Emmert's Black powder lube which is "Black TAC" and add more Lanolin and oil to soften it up..It is easy to melt and modify. You could just use Non Salt Crisco to do the same thing..Heat the lube up to melt it and add the patches..When I'm done I have a small plastic jar full of lubed patches ready to use.
    Use it also to cap the load to prevent chain fires.

WARNING -Don't use Black TAC in Bear country, it smells way to good to them.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I make a mix of bees wax Crisco and lanolin [60-40-10] to cover the cylinder on our BP revolvers.
    Not to be picky, but that math equals 110%. 50-40-10 with oil is Emmert's Lube and the stuff is to thick to finger apply unless warmed.

Do I really need beeswax for this? If crisco works, why complicate it more? Why not just thin the Crisco?

Maybe I should just use bacon greese as I have an excuse to eat more bacon. But then the dog will be trying to lick my pistol. Or I'll just get hungry when shooting.
    Last edited by archeryrob; 12-06-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Banned

it does kind of come out to 110%.
    but I mix the first two then add 10% to the volume they make.

you can just use Crisco but it is messy and not very portable.
    I can wipe my mixture into the cylinder mouths of the revolvers and carry them around.

Boolit Master

I'm in Florida, we use Crisco often, but thicken it sometimes, vs thinning it.

A little wax and Crisco in a pan, melted, then we prelube wads and patches. Then adjust the mix thinner and pour into small 'finger' tubs, like cream cheese tubs.

We also have saved, over the years, quite a few bore butter tubes, and we just re-fill them with slightly stiffened WalMart shortning. Wax beeswax, lanolin, various natural oils. We play with the mix to look for something that might be better, but mostly they all work good.

Boolit Master
    Everything above is absolutely wrong. Use a 2:1 Lamb Tallow to Beeswax mixture with pure felt. That is the perfect mixture and absolutely guaranteed to improve accuracy, reliability, smooth operation, reduce fouling, and much more - or DOUBLE your money back. I get the tallow from Dixie Gun Works, the wax from RandyRat on here, and felt from Durofelt.

Using Crisco gums up the works.

https://youtu.be/YgNVPC2wmWI

Advantages of Using Lubricated Wads.pdf

Boolit Master

Any time I see a claim of an absolute, you know what follows won't be.

Why Lambs tallow? Why not beef tallow, lard or me rendering my deer fat scrap which gets thrown away? I like to know the exact reason, as I have seen so many times a tradition is because its the way one guy did it once and it worked. Then became the only way it could be done.

Boolit Master

Agreed. Declaring everything else in the thread 100% irrevocably wrong pretty much guarantees that it isn't.

There are many paths to truth.

I gathered 3oz of beef tallow from the grease from 1+lb of hamburger we cooked last night. Its in a zip lock and in the basement fridge.

On Traditions, when I first got into archery 35+ years I read books about how all arrow fletching had to be left wing arrows. Its always been this way, it's tradition and must be preserved. I found right wing feathers were cheaper and bought a bag and fletched some arrows. They worked fine, but you just can't put them on the same arrow, as they bend different directions. I then found out in England the right handed farmers grabbed gosslings right wing with their left hand and snipped off the end of the wing with clippers in thier right hand. So they reason you always used Left wing feathers in the old days was because the birds didn't grow any right wing primary feathers. Becuase the farmers cut off the end of the right wing so they couldn't fly away.

So I always question the purpose of traditions and set rules for a reason.

Boolit Master

Funny, I have a can of beef tallow from burger meat too.

Soundguy, Lots of things work well as a patch lube, but you may want to google [the recipe for] Stumpy's Moose Snot as it's a good one. One suggested change though. Whereas the original recipe used castor oil, Stumpy himself told me any similar oil will suffice: extra virgin olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil. Try it, you'll like it!

Boolit Master

Dont need to google it, its posted on this site.

And I've already tried it as well as many other concoctions.

I replaced the oil with olive, tried coconut as well.

I make soap, so I usually have dozens of nut and vegi oils on hand, as well as other sources of fat, lards, etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    Why Lambs tallow? Why not beef tallow, lard or me rendering my deer fat scrap which gets thrown away? I like to know the exact reason, as I have seen so many times a tradition is because its the way one guy did it once and it worked. Then became the only way it could be done.
    Salt is why. Or lack thereof more specifically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast