RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 401-175-TC Users - Pics and Feedback, Please?

Boolit Master
    And so it begins...

Wait until he gets the box at the front door with his first NOE mold. He will have to put the pistol out in the living room like a puppy,

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I'm ready to buy my first mold, and I'm eyeing that Lee 401-175-TC 6 Cavity. Have had it in my cart several times on Amazon, even ordered it once, but cancelled before it shipped due to some negative feedback I'd read on here.

For those of you who own a 401-175-TC, and have used it, I'd love to:

- See your pics. Of the mold itself, raw bullets, and loaded rounds.
    - Hear your feedback on the quality of the mold. Has the quality been acceptable? Are you getting nominally sized casts?
    - Hear your opinion on if you'd recommend it as a first time caster's first mold?
    - Hear your feedback on the performance of the bullet, both in how happy you are with ease of it chambering, and accuracy of the bullet?
    - Hear if you are PCing or Lubing, or both?
    hmmm, I just seen this post.
    as far as calibers go, I like the 40...and I like the Lee mold you mention.
    My 6 cav mold drops a .402 boolit. I've shot it in several guns: Hi-Point, Ruger P-series, Taurus PT24/7, MR Baby Eagle.
    worked great in all my guns, Feeding and accuracy at pistol shooting range...But I did get lead fouling in the Baby Eagle's polygonal barrel...it slugged at .4025 ...Size matters, I guess.

You'll surely like that mold.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

That's great info. Thank you!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    Wait until he gets the box at the front door with his first NOE mold. He will have to put the pistol out in the living room like a puppy,
    Monday! I'm hoping Monday is the day. I jumped on one of the sale molds. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...r6s8qpb4oko2l0

Can't way. First NOE, first hollow point, I'm pumped!
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

I have a couple of his HP molds. Little tricky to start with. Mostly since I had no experience with a HP mold. Just had to heat cycle them a couple time throwing the bullets back into the pot. That time also let me figure out how to cast with it. Had to run a little faster to keep the heat up in the mold and jiggle it on its side with the pins to get them to settle before i tried to close the mold. I love the captured HP pins. My .45 ACP mold has a HUGE hp pin, a medium hp pin and a flat nose. talk about choices. The .308 155 I have cast great bullets to, I put a HP pin in the first two cavities and flat nose in other three.

Boolit Master

Anyone know what the cup point pins are/do?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd assume for round nose...but I ain't sure?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I just sold mine ,used it for probably 7-8 yrs worked well for me I have more cast and loaded then I will ever shoot and I shoot alot !

Boolit Master
    I just sold mine ,used it for probably 7-8 yrs worked well for me I have more cast and loaded then I will ever shoot and I shoot alot ! TL and PCedAttachment 191774

Cup pins are what forms the HP. they are kinda free floating on the bottom side of the mold. My NOE .45 mold came with three sets of pins. A HUGE cavity, a medium cavity and a flat point. depending on number of cavities you can use all the same or mix it up.

Boolit Buddy
    This mold is probably my Lee mold that casts the best.

It drops about 170 gr with an alloy that is equivalent to Lyman #2 based on the pencil scratch test. I load it over 4.5 gr of Bullseye with an OAL of 1.100". I size them to .401 and lube with Bens Red. I started with a softer alloy (95% pb/5% sb) and had some leading issues, but don't seem to have those now.

I'll probably get a 6 cavity at some point becuase I seem to shoot them about as fast as I cam cast them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nice! Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus

Lee molds are like bic lighters, they do a great job until they don't and are then easily replaceable. I am more concerned that your first casts are for a 40 S&W. IMO, that and the 9mm are higher pressure rounds that have an equivalent of a college mid level course. It may not be the best place to jump in at.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Thank you. I've been reloading 9mm and 40 for about 10 years so I have a fairly good comfort level with them. Not really nervous about it, but as cautious as ever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12