Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionGraf & Sons
Inline FabricationADvertise hereStainLess Steel Media

Thread: 20 ga round ball loads

Boolit Master

20 ga round ball loads

I have a 20 ga coach gun and want to try out some round ball loads. Is anyone doing this? Using a shot cup? or wad column? What size ball? Appreciate any help.

Boolit Master

I too am interested in this.

Boolit Master
    Tried rb in my 12ga with plastic wad cup with poor accuracy. The Lee slugs are way better in my opinion. May try a bore sized ball with no cup at some point but happy with the Lee slug for now.
    I've read good reports on bore size slugs poured in an appropriate size socket too.

Boolit Master

I have had reasonable success with .600 round balls in AA wad columns, but not at first. When I picked up the fired wad columns I discovered the base of the shot cup was ruptured and the "cushion" part damaged. Putting two 28 gauge Hard over-powder card wads in the bottom of the shot cup before dropping in the round ball made all the difference. I have fired these in both smooth bore and rifled 20 gauge barrels with good results. Much better than the Lyman "foster" slug.

Boolit Master
    yes with .575 balls in wad. will look up info later
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Here are some loads AJ posted some years back, good luck. HC

I load the blue dot load mentioned above, only I drop 35grs of blue dot and use a federal 209a primer, very accurate out of a rifled barrel, again good luck, and be safe. HC P.S. if you search this forum for AJ's loads it should come up he has tons of info on slug loading both 12 and 20ga, SuperBlazingSabots, I think was his handle.

Boolit Master
    Yes. .626" ball over 93grs Old Eynsford FFg. 1350 fps from a 24" RIFLED barrel.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6-Pigpocalypse

Boolit Master

"...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right. -N.Postman

Boolit Master

I tried this with a .600 RB. Just used 7/8 ounce target load data and cut the wads off a standard bird shot wad, a little corn meal on top to make the crimp work right. Shot them at about 30 yards through a cheap Rossi break open I keep behind the shop door, modified choke, single bead. They grouped into about 2 1/2-3" with that set up, which would be accurate enough for most of my close in deer hunting.

Shot the same thing through a little Savage 24 which did a little better, probably because of the better sights.

Boolit Master
    20 ga LEE 575 round ball load: 1 compact gas seal + 1/8" 28 ga mini nitro to fill the top of the gas seal + 1/4" fiber wad + 1 BPI commander with 1/8" 28ga nitro card to seal the gas base + 1/4" 28ga felt wad in the wad cup + .575 lee RB + roll crimp over 18gr Pro Reach.

Low recoil and very accurate through 50 yards from my Savage 220.

rch