MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North

Boolit Buddy

North

I would like a little feedback please. I'm considering moving to northwestern Wisconsin, around the superior,duluth area and wondering what the pros and cons are. I'm looking at purchasing a small bit of land to live on. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Banned

Only downside is your going to have to deal with more snow and longer winters. Ive never lived there but northern Wisconson is very much like the UP of Michigan where I live. Good hard working people and the weather keeps most of the yuppys and tree huggers away.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Only downside is your going to have to deal with more snow and longer winters. Ive never lived there but northern Wisconson is very much like the UP of Michigan where I live. Good hard working people and the weather keeps most of the yuppys and tree huggers away.
    Sounds sorta like North Idaho, we welcome ROUGH winters, helps to run the prune prickers off (Californians)

Banned

I was gonna say I hope you like cold weather, but they beat me to it.
    the Russian emigrants complained about the cold up in that part of the world.

Boolit Buddy
    Happy to toss my had in the ring as a local contact. Been living in the Superior area since i moved here for college over a decade ago now. Any questions you have just feel free to PM me.

Perm-Banned
    winter is there but spring does come. duluth is a beautiful area. want to tell you about fishing around duluth. went to the maritime museum there a couple of years ago. on the back side of it is a beautiful walkway with a chest high stone or cement wall so you dont fall into the rivers mouth there. the lake meets the river there. a guy was fishing there and he had one that he had just caught. a 30 pound northern pike. he was disabled and he said he fished every day and caught one of these about every day and he fed a lot of his disabled friends. the springs are short there. where i live in western ne. the springs are very very long. duluth summers arrive about the same time as the summers do here. so growing things up there is no different than growing things here. they grow nice roses in duluth. good fishing, good hunting and you never ever have to worry about a lack of water. the blueberries, strawberries and raspberries really grow good up there. lakes are clean and clear also plenty of bear to hunt. biggest whitetail deer ive ever seen up there. go, you will love it.

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted to move more North & into Wisc.. G'luck if ya go!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 03-21-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    When we lived in Whittier, California we had friends who without asking anyone for advice, sold their home and bought a dairy farm in Wisconsin. After one winter he was back in Sunny California. He told me one horror story after another about the cold. He said he had to tie a rope from the house to the barn so he could feel his way in a blinding blizzard. This was a man who was born and spent the first ten years of his life in Illinois. I am one Californian that you don't have to worry about moving to your particular ice box. It is supposed to be 87% here today.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 03-17-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

In Remembrance
    Gopher Slayer, That works both ways.
    I have known several here that was raised down south, so sold out when they retired and went back south, only to be back after one summer.
    I had a friend (gone now) that was in his 80's when he closed his business in the Yukon and went back to where he was born and raised. He had property in Florida, but had lived in the Yukon since the early 60's, in 6 months he was back and bought a house in town to live out his remaining years.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Lloyd,
    The weather keeping "yuppys and tree huggers" out, is a misnomer. I need to let you all know, that Duluth is as much of a Liberal Mecca as San Francisco. This is less the case, once you get outside of Duluth's city limits. I can't speak much about northern WI, except that it's beautiful up there. I've camped just outside of Superior, WI many times. I love that Lake.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

you do need to get away from the citys.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Lloyd,
    The weather keeping "yuppys and tree huggers" out, is a misnomer. I need to let you all know, that Duluth is as much of a Liberal Mecca as San Francisco. This is less the case, once you get outside of Duluth's city limits. I can't speak much about northern WI, except that it's beautiful up there. I've camped just outside of Superior, WI many times. I love that Lake.

Banned

Up here we don't have anything poisonous bitting us, hippys on the street corners smoking pot, Liberals gun laws like CA. We don't have cartel people growing pot I our back yards. yes we get a liberal or two that sneek in from down state and even down south but the weak minded ones don't last and after 10 years or so most of them see the light. Ive got nothing personal against california. I kind of think of it like I think of Gays. As long as I don't have to deal with them they can act anyway they want. I do know that not everyone in California is a bleeding heart liberal and theres good people there too but the percentages seem lower then other places. Lots more of them where it doesn't take a little fortitude to live and I like it just fine like that. Bottom line is they make clothes for the cold. There is no cure for liberal!
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    When we lived in Whittier, California we had friends who without asking anyone for advice, sold their home and bought a dairy farm in Wisconsin. After one winter he was back in Sunny California. I told me one horror story after another about the cold. He said he had to tie a rope from the house to the barn so he could feel his way in a blinding blizzard. This was a man who was born and spent the first ten years of his life in Illinois. I am one Californian that you don't have to worry about moving to your particular ice box. It is supposed to be 87% here today.

Boolit Grand Master
    I live in Northern Michigan so a bit more temperate than your location. You will need a snowplow or have someone plow you out. I have two generators. Stock up on supplies as that allows you to hunker down and help neighbors. Lent my spare generator to a neighbor and now have a friend for life.

Rural people can be a mixed bag. Lots of alcoholics....most have a heart of gold..but some people to be wary of too.

It can be hard of women if they do not make friends with the locals or, as in one case, the wife loves malls and shopping. One couple who owned my place before I got it lasted less than a year.

Been here for just over 4 years and not one regret.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Of course they make clothes to keep you warm but you have to live in them 24-7 and when you get them on you can't move your arms and you still have to breathe that cold. You are not talking to someone who doesn't know cold. I was born and raised in Southeast Missouri. While it doesn't get much snow or really low temperatures the humidity is so high it seems like it is much colder than it is. I just don't like cold or heat. I have no intention of moving to Arizona either. In the summer you have to drive wearing cooking mittens. I just don't like those kind of extremes.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Perma-Banned
    I hear ya can get some good cheese there.

Boolit Buddy
    Wisconsin weather is nothing to be afraid of if you plan and know how to deal with. The outdoors offer so much to do for all seasons. Yes you must like snow!

Boolit Buddy
    We got 2 inches of perfect snowman snow here in Superior just this morning. So many Hippies in Duluth they are trying to outlaw plastic bags, become a sanctuary city, and support the DAPL protesters.

Boolit Master
    bubba.50, We also have some good brats and great beer.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

In Remembrance
    In Bubbas part of the country, they have shine, no need or use for beer. lol

I just wish harsh weather kept the libs away, we have as cold of weather as anywhere else in this country, yet still have our share of libs. lol

Climate is what one likes, even without the people, I would rather have our climate than Southern Calis, and yes I tried it for a short while.

Boolit Master
    I say a man should live where he wants. To each his own. If you are happy, I am happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast