MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: I got a kick out of this.

Boolit Buddy

I got a kick out of this.

http://thefeedramp.com/veteran-reloader-nearly-mishap/

Veteran Reloader Nearly Has A Mishap

March 16, 2017 Robert D Dobalina 3 Comments
    Phoenix, Arizona – 92 year old precision reloader and retired machinist, Gabe “Gabby” Smyth recently posted on his favorite reloading blog, “Cast Boolits” that he had troubles with his last batch of precision ammo. Seems ‘ol Gabby didn’t check zero on his caliper and reloaded 6 months worth, 100 rounds, of 9mm FMJ at 1.129 instead of 1.130 as he has done since the 50’s.
    THE CLASSIC 9MM LUGER Consequences

When he realized what he calls “a potential life threatening mistake” he started having chest pain and went into a heart condition know as Atrial Fibrillation or “AFIB”. His wife rushed him to the local Moose lodge to seek advice from his retired machinist friends who decided they would ponder over the complex situation at hand but that maybe they should called an ambulance first. After Gabby was cardioverted back into a normal heart rhythm in the ER, he recovered in the ICU for 3 days and was sent home.
    Friends helping friends

When he arrived home he was glad to see that his friends had painstakingly demilled each of the 100 rounds by placing them in a lath and turning the cases to remove the bullets with out a mark. They also built a tool to remove each primer with out harm stating that while Gabe was a great guy, he was a cheap bastard and would likely end up right back in the ICU if they wasted all those primers. They sent his caliper set back to Starret to be re-calibrated, rumor has it the customer service representative questioned whether or not the group of gentlemen were affect with dementia.
    Results

The Feed Ramp caught up with Gabe and asked him if he regretted his decision. He replied, “not for one cotton pickin minute, that 9mm is a true powerhouse of a round and I couldn’t imagine running them at a spec different than what my Speer volume 1 reloading manual stated they should be run. I would be very upset if I blew up my Thompson Contender over .001” Gabe’s friends have started a Go Fund Me account to purchase the newest edition reloading manual for him. Gabe left us with these words of wisdom – “Reloading is a hobby unto itself – do not rush the process and do not sacrifice quality for speed. A well loaded round is a reward to shoot – take your time and treat yourself to the best ammunition that you can possibly produce.”

Ramoné Bonghammer reporting for The Feed Ramp

Ghastly error! Wish him a speedy recovery. Maybe it's time for him to hang up his apron.

Boolit Master

Great zot! A disaster was narrowly averted! Holy sheep! &cetera...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    I loved reading this this morning. I think the names were changed to protect the innocent.

Boolit Grand Master
    A whole 0.001" short!!!??? Is it April fools day ea

Banned

we deal in .001's

where is .001 in relation to a hair and a dab?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I don't trust any of my three calipers to be accurate to .001. For that I grab a Mic. That being said, all I use for OAL is a set of calipers.

Boolit Buddy
    A classic indeed! I wonder how much and what powder he was using!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    A classic indeed! I wonder how much and what powder he was using!
    1,412 flakes of Unique.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

I guess that this is where Agent 007 goes when he progresses to .001.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

the group of gentlemen were affect with dementia. Wife almost had a stroke (well, laughing spell) when she read the part about the Moose lodge. Surprised the Lodge would serve to those old coots. @92 I guess 200 rnds a year is a good supply. One day at the range an elderly guy had his revolver and 6 rnds in a baggie. Shot one and started walking to check his target. After his 2nd shot (yes, yelled at him) packed up the remaining 4 and left. This stuff really does happen.
    Whatever!

Banned

iirc a dab is 2 hairs.
    sometimes it's abuthatthick but with more on the edges.
    a little smaller than a smudge in diameter but definitely not a smidge worth.
    a smidge is nearly 3/32's in thickness if shown by thumb and forefinger, it however is distance dependent.
    since it's used from the describers perspective and not an actual transferable measurement.

and you have to define the hair by color since they come in different thicknesses.
    a general just a hair is about 3/69's of an inch or just a hair with a hand motion is like 1.43 inches.
    and a just a hair with a grunting noise is somewhere in the region of .23"

[now it can also be measured by the smidge method where the perspective from where you are picking said object up and the one from the describer are not the same distance no matter how many times you move it, and the heavier it is the further apart the hair/smidge distance becomes in perspective]
    back to the justahair thing where we can see once again color comes into play in the description.
    now a red hair is more like 2 mm's but a nether region red hair is closer to 3/4's of .001"
    it also leads to some awkward splaining when a girlfriend happens to hear this particular measurement used.
    it however is a perfectly understandable distance from the front to the back of that transmission [laying on your chest] to let your buddy know the exact distance he needs to move his end so you can get that bolt hole lined up.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite quot in the article, beside referencing the cast boolits site, is "he was a cheap bastard and would likely end up right back in the ICU if they wasted all those primers." Tell me you don't know folks like this.

Boolit Master
    I had to pull down some rounds because of .004 excessive length, I removed the decapping pin to save the primers as well as putting back the powder in the jug. Guess I'm a cheap sob,
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    I had to pull down some rounds because of .004 excessive length, I removed the decapping pin to save the primers as well as putting back the powder in the jug. Guess I'm a cheap sob,
    I would have reseated them .004 deeper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would have reseated them .004 deeper
    I would have, but the problem was in the shoulders, not the engagement with the rifling.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."