MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionPBcastcoInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Henry .45-70

Banned

Henry .45-70

I looked at one they had in stock at the Fort Riley PX today and was pretty impressed. This one had a nice pistol grip walnut stock with good checkering.

The internals looked like a Marlin, but I'm sure there are some differences due to the tube feed verses loading gate. Are these as strong as the Marlins? I have to admit to liking it better than most of the Marlins I've seen lately and at least it doesn't have that awful push button safety on it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Henry's tend to be rather overbuilt for the cartridge, they seem to take the Ruger approach and apply it to a traditional lever action. I see no reason it couldn't take the same loads as a Marlin.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Banned

It was priced at $725, which from the PX means no tax, so that's that. Seemed reasonable for what it is. I liked it.

Been messing with the .45-70 a bit the past few years, nothing exceeding trapdoor levels. I have quite a few bullets and brass and several molds. A rifle I could do a bit more with than a Handi Rifle might be fun.

Boolit Master
    They awesome rifles made in the USA and IMHO are much better than the Marlins of today.

I would much rather take any of my Henry's over the "semi custom" gaudy Reeder custom I have. Henry's are much better and a far better value than the so called custom Reeder/Marlin I own.

I don't regret buying my Henry. I actually prefer the tube fed design in a hunting rifle. Much easier and safer to unload when getting into a vehicle. I can very easily run an oiled swab through the mag tube. How easy is that with all the others?

Boolit Master

I like the Henry CCH with an octagon barrel. It's a little heavier, but the looks make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I like the Henry CCH with an octagon barrel. It's a little heavier, but the looks make up for it.
    I almost held out for the case color hardened! What a beautiful firearm! But the 18" round serves me very well in the woods.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Henry customer service is excellent. Chances are if you send an e-mail to the company the owner himself will answer. You NEVER see used Henry rifles for sale around here, you are far more likely to encounter a reasonably priced Colt snake gun for sale. No exaggeration, literal truth.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

I wouldn't load the Henry .45-70 Brassie as strong as I would the all-steel .45-70.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Vendor Sponsor

Henry has awesome customer service
    I have had 2 experiences with them both were the best customer experiences I have ever had with a Gun company ( RCBS is awesome as well for reloading)
    without going in many details purchased a 45 colt brass carbine in about 30 rds I had taken the gun apart twice to get a loaded cartridge from UNDER the lifter.. A email to customer service was answered that day. A UPS Call tag was received that day and 7 days later I had my gun back with a new bolt installed .. 7 days total now lets look at that 2 days up a weekend and 2 days back .. that means 1 DAY shop time... can you say AWESOME

Now even better my shooting bench is poured concrete pad, support and top
    bought the nice 45-70 brass wildlife edition (beautiful wood grain almost tiger striped) first day took it out and shot 5 rds to sight in
    Son says can I shoot it
    sure
    he proceeds to knock off my brand new gun to hit the concrete table top
    dings up the top of the stock pretty bad

again I email Henry .. explain my issue... tell them its all our fault and what is the cost for a replacement rear stock
    2 hrs later (on a Sunday) I get an answer back from Anthony (the OWNER) send my name, address to a fellow in customer service and they will send me a new stock set GET THIS NO CHARGE and sure enough 5 days later I have a brand new stock set FRONT and BACK

am I a Henry Customer you bet

PS Both guns shoot great very accurate
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

The brass alloy is way strong
    Steel strong
    Design is far more of a consideration

Boolit Master
    When Winchester and Marlin installed Button block safety's on their lever guns. That killed any intention I had in buying new from either company. Well gents as we all know Winchester today is no longer a real American Winchester. Marlin requires a lifetime of use to get them to loosen up a tad and Henry is slick operating and accurate right out box. So.

"Hel~~lo Henry"

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The brass alloy is way strong
    Steel strong
    Design is far more of a consideration
    Yep! It not the same brass alloy used to make the wife's candlestick holders! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    When Winchester and Marlin installed Button block safety's on their lever guns. That killed any intention I had in buying new from either company. Well gents as we all know Winchester today is no longer a real American Winchester. Marlin requires a lifetime of use to get them to loosen up a tad and Henry is slick operating and accurate right out box. So.

"Hel~~lo Henry"
    Yes. I liked the fact they went with a transfer bar safety (similar in operation to the Ruger Redhawk revolver I had). Really.....how often do you walk around, or even sit in a deer stand, with the hammer locked back? If it were hammerles.... i.e. a striker fired rifle of sorts, then I could see the need for a thumb or button safety.

I have the CCH version of the Henry and love it. Took it hunting last fall. Like it so well I am going to buy the all weather version also. They are fun to shoot and Henrys customer service is second to no one. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians