Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I must be buying the 5-1/2's then, I've never seen any warnings like that before. In fact I find that my current stock of R-P primers are just dandy for .357's in my 1894. If in fact that is the case then I need to start looking for the 1-1/2's then. I have always liked the performance of R-P primers but all those hard ones skunked me pretty good. I always thought small pistol was small pistol and that is that, figgered the number and a half designation was some old tradition from long ago.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I must be buying the 5-1/2's then, I've never seen any warnings like that before. In fact I find that my current stock of R-P primers are just dandy for .357's in my 1894. If in fact that is the case then I need to start looking for the 1-1/2's then. I have always liked the performance of R-P primers but all those hard ones skunked me pretty good. I always thought small pistol was small pistol and that is that, figgered the number and a half designation was some old tradition from long ago.
    Yes, I use the 5 1/2 for most of my 9mm and 357 ammo. The 1 1/2 primers get used in the 32 and 38 Special up to 38 Special +P loads.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

So I just returned from the range and shooting both the 92 and the XD. Shooting a combination of loads with both the CCI and the Winchester primers.
    Before going to the range I thoroughly cleaned the 92 especially the firing pin channel. This helped some but still had about 10% FTF with the CCI primers. Every one of the Winchester primers fired. Also not a single FTF in the XD with either brand primer so to me it's not a case of not seating the primers completely.

I still have 800 of the CCI primers and will load them up for the XD and look for something else for the 92, most likely WSP as the feedback on the Remington seem to be all over the board.

Boolit Buddy

I've used them all in multiple weapons without ignition issues. I prefer CCI, then Winchester, then Remington. I quit using Federal because I was getting too many dented primers in the reloading process. They seem to be VERY soft. A spec of powder on the primer pin will dent them.

As others have noted, it sounds more like a firing pin issue than primer issue. Unless the seating depth is not correct. I had an issue once with my 9mm's. I got a LOT of misfires on a bunch of bullets that I had reloaded. After really looking at the issue I noticed that I had failed to change the priming pin on my press from the large one to the small one when I changed from 45 to 9mm. The large pin would not fit in the pocket of the small primer brass so that it was seating them flush and not bottomed in the pocket. It would take several strikes before the primer would go off. I had to pull a mess of bullets.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

I looked at my primer inventory last night and it turns out that most of my R-P small pistol primers are 5-1/2. Nowhere on the box do they say that they are intended for magnum loads or anything like that, the number 5-1/2 or 1-1/2 is the sole visual difference. I segregated all the 5-1/2's off with the rifle primers so they won't find their way into pistol ammo. Next few boxes of .38 Special, .380, and 9mm I'll use the 1-1/2's and see how they do.

Remington really needs to get the word out about the difference in primers. My mind doesn't automatically assign significance to the number and a half designation, it sounds like an old tradition that shouldn't mean such a drastic difference between two primers which are both described as "small pistol primers". When I read the words "small pistol primers" I get the impression that the should be suitable for any non-magnum cartridge using the small pistol size primer.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ferguson looks like you learned something new also!

After the trip to the range yesterday I've decided I'll take a trip today and pick up some more Winchester WSP primers. Besides there are a couple other gun shops out that way that I'd never visited so I'll do that also.

Boolit Master

Remington really needs to get the word out about the difference in primers. My mind doesn't automatically assign significance to the number and a half designation, it sounds like an old tradition that shouldn't mean such a drastic difference between two primers which are both described as "small pistol primers". When I read the words "small pistol primers" I get the impression that the should be suitable for any non-magnum cartridge using the small pistol size primer.
    I guess a lot of "stuff" in the shooting world is passed on and that's not always the best way to get info out. Remington does mark their match rifle primers and also their magnum primers as such. The 1 1/2 and the 5 1/2 primers have never enjoyed any distinction like that, but in the competitive world, there was never any question as to which to use. Again, that info was just passed on from experienced marksmen to the new shooters.

If you think about it, that's exactly what we do here and this thread is probably the poster child for passing info on from shooter to shooter.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

And I'm thankful for the education. Hunting and fishing is a long tradition on both sides of my family but I am the first reloader and boolit caster that anyone is aware of. Everything I know about it (which ain't much!) has come from books, magazines, websites, and personal experience.

Thanks to every one for the discussion, thoughts and feedback.

Made a 3hr. trip today and picked up 1k Winchester WSP primers at a store that had some in stock. I decided to make the trip and buy these because I know they work with this pistol. Also stopped in to 3 new to me stores and had a good day. Met some nice people and seen a lot of neat stuff. Also was able to check out 2 indoor ranges that I'd never been to.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=FergusonTO35;3988100
    Remington really needs to get the word out about the difference in primers. My mind doesn't automatically assign significance to the number and a half designation, it sounds like an old tradition that shouldn't mean such a drastic difference between two primers which are both described as "small pistol primers". When I read the words "small pistol primers" I get the impression that the should be suitable for any non-magnum cartridge using the small pistol size primer.[/QUOTE]

They do have a warning on the 1 1/2 primers. Specifically says to not use them in high intensity cartridges like .357Mag, .357Sig and .40SW. They give a number to call, and also recommend looking in their catalog to see which cartridges are loaded by the factory with which primers.
    Now having said that, 9mm Luger are primed with 1 1/2s, and SAAMI pressure is around 33k psi iirc. Go figure.

I will double check but I don't recall seeing any warnings on mine other than the usual cautions about explosion that are on all primers.

Ok folks, I rolled up 25 of my favorite .38 Special load of 3.1 grains Bullseye and a 148 grain Lyman wadcutter with the R-P 1-1/2 primers. I tried them out today in my S&W 637 and am pleased to say all of them went bang firing double action. They had nice deep indentations and showed excellent accuracy. If the 1-1/2's always act like this I will buy them from now on.

Remington uses their 1 1/2 primers in their 158 gr 38 Spl +P loadings. Old Remington ammo catalogs showed using the 1 1/2 primer in Remington’s 38 Special “Hi-Speed” 158 gr lead loading. I’ve never pierced a 1 1/2 primer in my applications…just don’t use them in 357 Magnum level loads…these should use the 5 1/2 primer if using Remington primers.

UPDATE: Aug 4th…I’m getting pierced primers with Remington 1 1/2 on a batch I just received from TargetSportsUSA…see my latest post on the subject. Never had problems with 1 1/2 primers in the past. CCI500, Fed100, Win, all worked great. An older Ruger and new one both experienced piercing with the 1 1/2’s.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 08-04-2022 at 08:58 PM.

Boolit Master

The 1 1/2s were the go to primer for revolver use in DAs for fast shooting games before the Federals took over that niche.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I inherited several hundred-packs of Remington 1-1/2 primers. I tried loading .32 S&W Long ammo with them, low pressure, using 98 grain HBWC bulets. I got a lot of splits in the primer. It was not a pierce, there was a linear crack on the flat face of the primer, with the firing pin indent in the middle of it. The firearm was a Walther GSP.

I'm getting down to my last few trays of 1.5's and still find they are harder on average than others in a variety of different guns. I get a few primers per tray that won't fire no matter how many times they are struck. I wonder if the primers made by the current version of Remington Ammo are any better. The .22 Thunderbolts they make are alot better than they used to be.

I’ve never had FTF with Remington 1-1/2 primers. In general, I have good luck with CCI and Winchester primers. The only ones to give me trouble were Wolf. I don’t buy those anymore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I inherited several hundred-packs of Remington 1-1/2 primers. I tried loading .32 S&W Long ammo with them, low pressure, using 98 grain HBWC bulets. I got a lot of splits in the primer. It was not a pierce, there was a linear crack on the flat face of the primer, with the firing pin indent in the middle of it. The firearm was a Walther GSP.
    If you were closer, I’d gladly swap you some 5 1/2s for them.

I bought 20,000 5 1/2s just before the panic hit and an LGS was closing them out, and now I see why: they’re hard as flint. I shoot revolvers and had to switch back to full-strength mainsprings in all of them.

For comparison, the same guns with reduced-power springs (Wolf Type 1, which is supposed to be duty strength) will light off CCI 500s all day long. I get one or two FTFs per cylinder with the 5 1/2s.

I’m starting to see powder on LGS shelves again at reasonable prices, so I’m hoping primers aren’t too far behind.

I must be cursed, 'cause everybody else swears by Remington 1.5's. I have had multiple lot numbers from the past 10 years and every one of them had hard primers and duds. Sometimes I would get lucky and go through a couple of individual trays that were 100%, but every lot number had some bad ones in it. This is spread out over more than 20 different handguns that eat other primers no problem.

I have some I purchased about 10 years ago that I have had some piercing problems with at standard pressure? May be a bad batch . I will only load them to minimal pressure

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast