RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

Anyone here have experience with these small pistol primers? I have been using Winchester primers in my hand loads but they are all but nonexistent locally. I have used CCI before with no problems so when I ran out of primers I bought CCI. Problem is I have an auto pistol that just does not like them. On the frequent FTF I've had with them when looking at the primer there is very little dimple.

Now I've had it suggested to use the Winchester Magnum small pistol to having the springs changed in the gun. Well the gun functions just fine with any and all factory ammunition I've feed it or with my hand loads with Winchester primers. Not a single FTF. So to me it seems more logical to alter the problem primers than to alter an otherwise perfectly functioning gun.

Anyways, I've found a local shop that stocks the Remington primers and has 6k in stock right now. I normally only keep 1k on hand so it doesn't pay to buy online.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I no longer buy Remington small pistol primers. Too many hard ones over the past five years, I think R-P has supplemented them with small rifle primers to get product out the door. Those I still have get fed to my Marlin 1894 .357 which eats them up no problem. I have never had that problem with Remington loaded ammo, or other brands of primers save for one batch of hard CCI a few years ago.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks for the feedback it has been noted.

The only place that I've found that has WSP primers is BPS and I refuse to pay $5.09 per 100!

Boolit Master

Remington 1 1/2 SP

I use them almost exclusively in my 32 and 38 Special loads. I've used them for years without any issues in both Colt and S&W revolvers.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I have used several bricks of Remington 1 1/2 primers with no issues. Haven't been able to buy them locally recently. I mostly buy online and get either Winchester or CCI.
    I haven't had any issues with those either. I can't remember the last time I had a misfire due to primer malfunction.

Over the years I've also used Rem. #1 1/2's almost exclusively as well (1 S & W M 10; 1 Ruger BH; 1 DW #15[?]) and have had no problems with ignition or accuracy attributable to the primer. Ditto for Rem. #5 1/2's.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use winchester by preference but back during the worst of the components drought, I bought 5,000 and have been using them in my 38's and 9 mms with complete satisfaction. Do not use them in hot 327 magnum loads, however. You'll likely get pierced primers.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

You'll likely get pierced primers.
    Good point Rintinglen. It's my experience that the metal cups on the 1 1/2 primers are softer than the Remington 5 1/2 or CCI SP primers. I can't prove it, but in my finicky PPC revolver, they are 100% while other brands suffer a missfire now and then.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Looking at these for a finicky PT92C 9mm. I think the CCI cups are just to hard for it.

I have also now located a shop that has Winchester WSP in stock. A little pricey at $40.00 per 1k. but I think I'm willing to pay the premium price for themas I know they work.

Thanks everyone! Still interested in hearing comments as I still haven't decided which way to go.

Strange, my experience has always been that Remington are the strongest in terms of cup strength and how well they ignite powder.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Strange, my experience has always been that Remington are the strongest in terms of cup strength and how well they ignite powder.
    So are you suggesting that I may run into the same issue with the Remington as I am with the CCI?

Boolit Buddy

I have used mostly Win. or Fed SPP . The few Rem. that I have used have worked just fine. CCI works as well but seems a little harder (or less sensitive) than the others. The Fed. seems to flatten more in .357 loads, (13.5 gr 2400, 158 gr cast). I have hade no issues with CCI LP primers in the 1911, or LR primers, but get the very occasional light hit in DA fire, with the CCI SPP.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 1 1/2's are in fact softer and will pierce with higher pressure pistol loads. If your gun can't dent these there is something wrong with your gun. Not for +p 9mm loads, certainly, due to piercing issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The 1 1/2's are in fact softer and will pierce with higher pressure pistol loads. If your gun can't dent these there is something wrong with your gun. Not for +p 9mm loads, certainly, due to piercing issues.
    I have, on occasion, recommended the 1 1/2 primer to friends who were having ignition problems with their revolvers. The 1 1/2 generally fixed the problem of too light a hammer strike from a weak or worn hammer spring in older revolvers.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-16-2017 at 01:05 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    I can well believe that. Again, if your gun won't dent 1 1/2s, something is wrong.

Ok, so are you saying that R-P makes more than one type of non-magnum small pistol primer? I'll have to go look at my stock and see what part number I have.

I've been using CCI primers for everything from my 300 wby to my 17HH and .380 to 50 AE since the 1980's and the only FTF's I have had were due to oily fingers when seating primers and then I do not recall vary many. I've even deformed they by forcing them into mil brass that has not had the crimps removed and they fire. I got a couple of 3 hundred of the Rem. 1-1/2 for Christmas last year and have not had a problem with them yet. Fed them thru 38 Cheifs special revolver, 380 PPK-S and 2- 9mm's one S&W 659 and a Baretta Nano. Could your problem be you're not seating the CCI primers to the right depth?
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I like to keep a variety of primer examples on hand for load development and they've always given acceptable service (IRT ignition/accuracy). However, my observations lead me to concur with those that say cup strength is on the softer side. Along with Federal SP primers, I usually reserve these for a couple of older S&W pre-model 10 M&P revolvers I have. Both have weaker than normal hammer strikes (90+ yr old guns) but are 100% reliable with the Rem primers.

I have run into problems with CCI in Semis and a revolver I lighten the spring in. It has to do with the hardest of the cup. If you can find Feds try some of them as long as you are not using a progressive. Dillon warns against Federal because of the softness of the cup and primer tube detonation.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Remington 1 1/2, per the warning on the box, aren't meant to be used with high pressure rounds like the .357 Magnum and 40 S&W.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast