Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need good Powder for 45 Colt (not unique )

I am one of those who never had any problems with Unique. I have loaded thousands of 45 Colt rounds with nary a problem. I hear folks tell of problems metering Unique, but that has never been a problem for me. I use an old Hollywood measure and Lyman 55s.

Most of my loads in the past ten years have been with Bullseye. Outpost gave you all the info you need on that powder. It is a very good one for many handgun loading.

Some years back, soon after it became available in the US, I bought 16 lbs of the Israeli made AA5. It is a little slower than Unique, but runs through a meter like water. It gives first rate accuracy, but in less than full factory pressure loads, it will leave unburned powder. I have used this AA5 in 38 Special, 357 Mag, 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt and it has worked well in all.

A few months back, I lucked in to 16 lbs of Bullseye. I have 8 lbs of Unique, 8 lbs of 2400 and still have 8 lbs of AA5. At 74.6 years old and shooting less these days, I am set for handgun powder.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I would give Trail Boss a try, even just for the safety factor, you can not double charge a case with it, it also shot very well for me.

W231 and HP38 are one and the same powder, and are good choices...., I also like 2400 and Red dot.. I guess it all depends on what you have the most of, and want to use.... I have a Win 94AE Centennial in .45 LC .. I use 16gr of 2400 under a Lee 255gr Boolit (452-255-RF), a bit much for a single action army or other handgun, but a Decent one for my Rifle... probably 1150-1200FPS Love this load..... Very accurate and light recoil (for me)
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ETR7 from Expansion Industries ...
    Ruger 4 5/8" ... 5.8gr @ 678fpd ... 6.7gr @ 716fps
    Rossi, 24" barrel ... 6.7gr @ 885fps
    Rossi, 20" barrel ... 6.8gr @ 930fps
    Burns clean - not position sensitive and no issues in hot or cold weather
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Like Char-Gar, I have no metering problems with Unique in my Redding #3. Suggest AA#5 or HS-6.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    ...I'm still having trouble understanding the problems some are experiencing with Unique. I've been loading Unique for 40+ years in rifle, pistol, and revolver cartridges, and I've never experienced any metering issues with it. I use an old Hollywood, a Lyman No.55, a Redding No.3, and a RCBS Uniflow. Works just fine through all four for me.
    Dillon machine doesn't meter it well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Can't go wrong with Bullseye.

Boolit Master

Another Red Dot user here.

Titegroup is my go to for revolver. Yes it is concentrated so a double charge or a short charge is harder to spot but I like it. Versatile, not position or temp sensitive. Burns well in lighter loads. And for lack of a better way of describing it I like the recoil "profile" to me it seems that the recoil is different, it is subtle but seems smoother. Oh and it cures bunions and helps grow hair on your head too!

I have never tried the fluffy stuff (Trailboss) but I might one of these days.

My fall back is Unique.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

my 550 drops a fleck or two of unique every now and then, but it keeps the charge weights close enough I don't see it on paper.

I really like Titegroup for the under 14-K loads in the big 45 cases.
    it burns clean and doesn't give me any grief metering or large velocity variations.

as much as I hate the stuff in the small cases that's how much I like it in the big volume cases.
    it makes some real nice light poof type loads in the rifle cases too.

Boolit Master

Hodgdon on line data for the bullet you state is;

Universal 6.4gr for 749fps 5,700cup
    Universal 8.8gr for 1067fps 13,600cup

I shoot 9.0gr under a 255grswc in my S&W 625 Mountain Gun.
    Hope this helps.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

If I'm just enjoying a day at the range and shooting nice light and "arthritis friendly" loads I love Trail boss..meters great in my Lee Auto Drum every time...for a little more bang for my buck I load 231...I don't get into the statosphere with my 45 Colt loading...again the 231 measures like water in my Autodrum

In Remembrance

More votes for Red Dot and AA #5.Robert

Bullseye & Red Dot. I've never had problems with Unique but you have so never mind.
    Best, Thomas.

For my 200 grain 45 colt cowboy loads, I am using 700X. But these are only about 700 FPS. If I wanted, I am sure with 700X I could get into the 900 range. Bulky and appears to not have position sensitivity but it meters like unique. Since I am a 700X shooter with 12 gauge, that is what I use. If I was a red dot shooter in 12 gauge, then I would be all over red dot for 45 Colt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    For standard loads in the big Colt case, I've often used Unique with good results. I do, however, have a Redding powder measure with both small and large micrometer powder chambers for it. With the small chamber, Unique measures out just fine so a measure with a small volume option may get you back on track with Unique.

That said, I've been gravitating towards Hodgdon's Tightgroup powder in these older-large-volume cases. Shot to shot variation is reduced from Unique and accuracy is very good. As Outpost notes above, Bullseye is also a good choice for standard loads in the 45 Colt.
    I too like Titegroup. It meters very well and is not position sensitive, which is great for lighter loads in a large case. Very accurate in my Vaquero.

Red dot and HS6
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for 231/ HP-38. It meters very well for me, and I have been happy with it in the 45 Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk man View Post
    Another vote for 231/ HP-38. It meters very well for me, and I have been happy with it in the 45 Colt.
    I have lots of 231,what is your load?
    Failure is not an Option

4 years ago I got back into rifles, had less than half a pound of dupont 3031, there was dang little powder to be found of any kind. Then I read, and reread, and rereread Ed Harris's "the Load"

And I started digging, and started buying Red Dot.

I guess I should change my name to RedDotFreak or something.

But yeah, Red Dot, it works, in everything. May not be the fastest, but some of those small penny pinching loads are amazingly accurate.

Some say it is dirty. I say if you have sooty cases up the charge half a grain.

That is all it took to turn my light .40sw carbine from a black brass maker into a sweet talking clean and shiny brass making machine.

YMMV

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast