MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need good Powder for 45 Colt (not unique )

Boolit Master

Need good Powder for 45 Colt (not unique )

I just don't like the way Unique meters.
    Looking at #5, True Blue, BE86 and Universal.
    Loading for standard loads with 200gr. RNFP., Not Ruger loads.
    What do you guys use for best accuracy?
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master

I've recently been loading Commercial #1 using Universal data with good results with 200 & 255gr boolits. It meters well through my Lee Auto Drum.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Trail Boss. Works great in all 4 of my 45colts and I use it in my ROA as well.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Trail Boss. Works great in all 4 of my 45colts and I use it in my ROA as well.
    Does it meter well ?
    Failure is not an Option

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Does it meter well ?
    What problem are you having metering powder?

For the most part, we have all gotten past Unique not metering as well as some others.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-15-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    What problem are you having metering powder?

For the most part, we have all gotten past Unique not metering as well as some others.
    No problem other than Unique does not meter well at all, no consistency.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy

I switched from Unique to Power Pistol. Power Pistol burns cleaner, meters well and is more consistent in velocity which delivers better accuracy. Charge weight is also very close the same.

What powder measure are you using? I had to get the small drum for my Uniflo to stop powder cutting. Works very well and less then a tenth of a grain difference from first to last in a 50 shell batch.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Red Dot. Back when I used smokeless in the 45 Colt, that worked best of everything I tested.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy

I cant say for accuracy but I use HP-38 on pretty much all my hand gun loads , I load for all from 380 to 44mag , and I have found that this is a good all around powder, mainly for plinking , coarse I use unique and many other powders , im like you I dont use any extruded because of the way that it meters, the only powder measure that I ever owned that would consistently throw a good charge with those types of powders was an old B&M measure that I had years ago , wished I still had it .
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    +1 for Red Dot/Promo in 45 LC

Boolit Master

+2 on the RED DOT
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullseye! Used for factory loading of .45 Colt for 100 years. Fine particle size suited for machine loading.

Suitable for either full charge, standard pressure or light cowboy loads.

Excellent ballistic uniformity!

5.0 grains with 255-grain bullet is recommended "starting" load, ~720 fps.
    6.0 grains with 260-grain bullet 800 fps revolver velocity, 13,600 psi http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...llets-45-colt/
    6.5 grains with 255-grain bullet approximates factory velocity 880 fps. at standard pressure.
    7.2 grains with 230-grain bullet is standard pressure, 1000+ fps, flat shooting.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

For standard loads in the big Colt case, I've often used Unique with good results. I do, however, have a Redding powder measure with both small and large micrometer powder chambers for it. With the small chamber, Unique measures out just fine so a measure with a small volume option may get you back on track with Unique.

That said, I've been gravitating towards Hodgdon's Tightgroup powder in these older-large-volume cases. Shot to shot variation is reduced from Unique and accuracy is very good. As Outpost notes above, Bullseye is also a good choice for standard loads in the 45 Colt.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use Red Dot for a lot of different cartridges including 45 Colt. I use 6.0 grains of it with 200 grain RNFP out of a 7 1/2" Uberti Cattleman and it shoots great. For my 45 Colt loadings though, I batch load and don't use a powder measure to drop the charges. I use a dipper and with consistent dipping method, I can get very consistent loads that are checked every 5 casings with my beam scale. A spent 9mm casing with picture frame wire wrapped mourned the ejection groove and twisted into a handle makes the perfect dipper for that charge.

I have also used Green Dot when powder was hard to get as well as Unique - I keep going back to Red Dot.

I use a LEE Auto Disc Pro and don't worry about "metering" problems with any powder.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want an easy metering powder for the .45 LC you can't beat AA#5.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I use trail boss and hp-38 in my 45. Both meter well in my uniflow.

Vendor Sponsor

I like Herco in 45 Colt as well as Unique. Got to use a bit more but it works well. There is also HS-6 which works well.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'm having good luck using ETR-7 in 45 Colt and acp. Meters well and cleaner and less smoky than unique or 231.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast