Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lfts talk 375 Raptor bolt gun

Boolit Master

Lets talk 375 Raptor bolt gun

Im intrested in building a Tactical/hunting gun in 375 raptor. This cartridge works of 62k psi. Cartridge is built off 308 case. This is like a 300 BO on steriods. Designed to work in 308 magizines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375RAPTOR.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	190562

It would be built on a savage 308 etc.. Action. Looking at a full tactical chassis from MDT (detachable mag). 16" threaded barrel. Cost would be about 1400.00.

Im thinking this could be a great cast boolit shooter. Neck is a little short @ .2748 but still workable. I want a twist that stablizes heavier bullets for subsonic and 250gr for hog and deer. Im not a hunter but want to go a few times. A 250-275gr lead bullet with huge meplat should be awsome inside 100yds.

Im thinking a good low power tactical sight and slincer after I recover from the build price.

Just looking for an intresting build that would get a lot of use. I like the 308 for parent case

I put a 26" barrel on my ruger precision and it seems a mile long now. I thought about doing s short 308 but like the idea of a bigger bore to burn powder in a 16" barrel. For me a gun like this would get a lot of paper punching trips to the range.

I have been wanting a short barrel chassis gun. Does this sound intresting or not?
    Last edited by GARD72977; 03-15-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It does sound interesting; expensive but interesting.

What twist are you thinking of using?

Robert

Boolit Master
    Gard -

Howdy !

Looks like a scaled-up .35 Remington, w/ base diam, shoulder diam, and final calibre all incrementally larger.
    Case Lg is just a tad shorter than the .35 Rem.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    The fastest twist that is avalible in pre fit barrel is 1/9. That would be fine for 300gr+

Let me say im not an experienced hunter. 357Mag said this loks like a bigger 35rem. I agree with that. I have always thought the 35rem and 358win were excellent for 100yd hunting. The 357raptor is justa little more of the same. The best advantage is the subsonic capability.

I was all set to do a 458 socom until i found this. I have read a lot about hogs just soaking up large slow bullets. The 250gr 375 could fast enough and is still a huge chunk of lead.

Banned

you'd need over 250 for a 375 to be worth the trouble.
    the 375 Winchester will poke 275 along in the 16-1800 fps area without even trying, and will run a 300-315 at 38-55 velocity's.

if your just gonna go 250grs you might as well just do a 358 Winchester then you can run from 1200 on up to 2400 or so.
    throwing a faster twist at one would allow you to go slower.
    but a 300gr [358009] boolit in whatever twist comes on the rifle should be stable down to 12-1300 or so easy enough.. [unless you wanna go just sub sonic then you need the faster twist]

before I dropped the cash on a barrel and die set I would really zone in on the advantages the custom round would/should be giving me, versus the time I would be spending making and forming brass.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the comments. I just cant seem to make this idea work with super sonic and sub. The idea of using a longer action and extend the length off the bullet. This start another problem. The raptor is already 308 length so it goes to 30-06 action. Not many options in detachable magazine.

If i change to 458 Socom i could use 308 action. Lots of options there. Just have to have the barrel throated for longer bullet. This would be for lead bullets. Im sure a custom mold would be needed but here are some pics to give a idea of what im thinking.

Name:	jim459530.jpg 
Views:	1585 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	191241

Name:	f9e83e7131b5d3cb63b02dd973cc02f0.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	191242

Boolit Master
    Im a little closer to getting something together. This idea got me wanting a subsonic medium range bolt gun.

I bought a new Savage FCP-SR with
    The rebate. I will sell the stock and barrel. That will leave me with a action, adjustable accutrigger, tactical bolt handle, and factory picatinny rail. Thats a good start for a custom chassis gun.

Im just not sure this thing is going to end up a 375 Raptor!

Boolit Buddy
    Why not consider a 375-08? Just neck up 308 cases that are inexpensive and readily available. Plus it has a longer neck. Dies are available from Redding.

I use a subsonic 250 gr load in my 375 Winchester. That load is very accurate and that rifle has a 1 in 12" twist (std 375H&H twist).

There was a group buy for a 375HP mould that would be ideal for this application.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ramer-or-Solid