Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Renegade Refinish/Large scratch Removal

Boolit Master

Renegade Refinish/Large scratch Removal

I have just purchased this stock and it will be coming with a large scratch and know there are some talented folks that might have some suggestions in how to remove it . Who ever checkered a TC stock spent some time at it and I would like to leave it intact and try to work around it though I probably will not match the stain ,(lighter or darker) it will not bother me as long as I get close . I am pretty sure it is not a factory finish and do I go up to edge of checkering doing entire stock or try section repair and hope to get close with stain ? Thanks for advice/EdAttachment 192123Attachment 192124Attachment 192266
    Last edited by Edward; 03-31-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Master

I would toothbrush a light coat of True-oil into it and wipe with a non lint cloth.

Boolit Master
    I guess that could be the 1st thing to try when I get it as it sure sounds like a simple solution and I like simple /Thanks Ed

Banned

There are things that can't be done. It will be there forever unless totally refinished. You can feed Tru-oil in with a toothpick but it will be there anyway.
    Consider it a beauty mark like a gorgeous woman with a mole on her face.
    The rest of the stock is so pretty, I would ignore the scratch. That is one perfect checkering job.

Boolit Master

Not many people do skip-line checkering anymore.. Beautiful work. If its not a presentation piece, its had some character added to it that I would protect the scratch as others have mentioned.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Oh come on guys that scratch came blocking an Indians stone tomahawk. LOL its all in how you describe it. You might be able to get some close matching saw dust by taking a small piece from under the butt plate and sanding it down. work some glue into scratch and work the sawdust in to fill it may still show some but will be smooth.

Boolit Buddy
    Try putting a damp cloth over the scratch, then apply a hot iron to it. might raise the scratch
    up enough to buff out with fine steel wool. Then rub the linseed oil in till smooth. I've done
    a few and it does work.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master
    Go for the Sweating the dent out first before you do any kind of fillers.
    It may not take it all out if the wood fibers are broken on the surface, but it will lessen what you have to fill later if anything at all.

Boolit Buddy
    If it's a scratch, steaming the stock may not lift it out. If the fibers are cut, they won't lift. If the pores are filled with stock finish or sealer, you won't be able to lift that scratch.
    Dents and dings will lift out, but deep scratches not so much.

There's a potential of discoloring the stock in the area you steam. Depends on the stock finish that's on the gun. I would attempt to lift the scratch IF I was refinishing the entire stock. Otherwise I would leave it alone. I'm not a stock maker though and many of these guys have a lot more experience than I do.

You have to ask yourself whether the risk is worth the reward.
    Last edited by John 242; 04-01-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would toothbrush a light coat of True-oil into it and wipe with a non lint cloth.
    +1. do the least amount of repair you can first, you can always do more. irishtoo

Boolit Master
    I was going to say, if the scratch was an impression as well as a scratch, steam could lift it out some. using a quality magnifying glass will be a big help.

Boolit Master

If the stock is dented the steam technique may raise the dent. If it's a scratch into the grain it probably won't help but that's a trick I've used many times. If the existing finish is oil, additional Tru-Oil should bond to it very well. If it does, try rubbing additional oil in with 400-600 grit wet or dry sandpaper. It might almost disappear.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris