Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cocking assist

Cocking assist

I am thinking about tig welding about 1/8" of metal to the rear of the cocking serration on my 22/45. I would leave the grooves, but just build up the last two sections.

Everything I have found to add on, in my opinion looks terrible. I can easily do the work. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, other than doing a crappy job? Is the bolt hardened?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170403_065246341.jpg   IMG_20170403_065326098.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Personally I hate to see a gun welded on without a dang good reason.
    Not sure why, it just does not seem right. Disrespectful even.

So with that in mind, here is what a few minutes of google found for me for your perusal.
    If you are not happy with that, ok. But instead of welding on your bolt why not make an add on of your own? Cut to the shape you desire, make it so it dovetails onto the bolt and secures with a set screw. When you are dead, or gun is sold the new owner has the option of leave it or remove it with no major damage done to the gun.

In the end it is your gun, your choice. But you won't live forever. Someone else somewhere is going to have to live with the choices you make.

http://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Mk-I-II-III-Bolt-Racker-Handle_p_14230.html

Same boat about not welding.

myself, I would make the add on like the one above, or at least do what your thinking and maybe drill and tap a small hole on the bolt rear to attach your bar. That way it could be removed in the future if you liked and the holes filled in with filler screws. Like scope mount screws....

What I am talking about is adding a strip about 1/8" wide, by 1/8" on each side to the cocking serrations. I'm not talking about adding a big lever. I feel like adding this is no different than tigging a magwell onto my 1911 and finishing it out.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Do it, but make sure it does not interfere with holster fit.

Are you having difficulty cocking your 22/45?

Boolit Master
    How hard would it be to grind off that enormous handle and just leave the rectangular block? Looks like it would give the OP what he wants without any welding.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Adding weight to the bolt by welding or adding blocks to the sides may affect function and reliability due to the added mass. a second bolt could have the ears turned off leaving a stub 1/2"-3/4 dia And roughly 1/4" long and the new ears machined then pressed in place with no welding required. Otherwise I think turning the ears round and smooth then soldering the new inserts on and machiningthem in place would work

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    How hard would it be to grind off that enormous handle and just leave the rectangular block? Looks like it would give the OP what he wants without any welding.
    This is a pretty slick idea. It would certainly tell me if that is what I wanted to do.
    Crabo

Have you looked at the tandemkross Halo charging handle? I asked for one without their logo and love it. It's a little pricey for 50 bucks but it doesn't affect reliability and works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Adding weight to the bolt by welding or adding blocks to the sides may affect function and reliability due to the added mass.
    Good point. Does anybody know if the bolt racker handle is steel or aluminum? Looks like there's enough material for a couple of lightening cuts or holes. As a bolt-on part if it didn't work out at least it's easy to remove.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Actually, what I should do, is a little careful file work, or chuck it up in a lathe, and change the profile from type 2 to type 1 in the EAB cocking assist, and I would have what I want. Just a little more to grab.

http://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Mk-I-II-I...e_p_14230.html
    Crabo

Boolit Master
    First off,,, it is your firearm,, and you can modify it any way you desire.

But I too fall into the group of folks who prefer to see guns that haven't been welded on, filed, cut, or modified in a way to alter the "as shipped" condition. I'm currently helping a deceased friends estate try & place a value on some guns for the courts & such. Sadly, the owner of them loved to file, cut, modify, glue, & screw on stuff a lot. One of the guns we are evaluating is a NRA Centennial Colt Gold Cup. Can we say that due to the condition & mods,,, we are only able to value this gun at $500. IF,,, IF it had not been modified, it would be worth a lot more. I am trying HARD to convince 3 women who are NOT gun people, who have looked at web sites & seen "values" much higher & fail to grasp the reasons the gun isn't worth what these others are. And,,, I am NOT trying to buy them,,, just help them assign a value for the courts,,, and for the eventual auction.

My point is that maybe you should consider a part that you can add to the bolt, and modify THAT part to suit your purposes. An easily removed aftermarket part doesn't remove value to the gun.