RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best quick change setup for presses?

Boolit Master

Best quick change setup for presses?

OK guys, my whole reloading room had to be broken down a year ago, so that I could finish the space.

It ended up pretty nice up there, it added over 800 square feet to the living area.

The good part is, that I now have heat and air conditioning in my reloading space.

The bad part, is that now I have to SHARE a smaller space with swmbo, for her crafting and scrapbooking.

So I guess I need to be more organized.

I'm going to make the bench a bit nicer, and have been looking at the rock dock, and the ultramount.

Any pros and cons would be appreciated.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Not acquainted with the names you offer. Yellow pages should find a good divorce lawyer if that is what you really want. I would think a manly man could train his wife to leave and stay out of the reloading room after she has finished what ever task you generously gave her. If you have to share, she can use the space you are not using when you are not casting or reloading.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I don't think either one is a good option!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Banned

I use the Inline Fabrication Ultra Mounts with the quick change plates. I like the system a lot. Have no other experience other than directly mounting presses etc. There is a Quick Change Plate for example everything.
    I have three Ultra Mounts mounted in a row. Does not take up much space.

Boolit Master

jmort, do you have them elevated?

I'm curious if raising the presses makes much difference, other than being able to have drawers underneath, and needing to use a taller seat.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the LEE bench plates but I make my own press mounts for them. I have everything from a Lyman True Line JR to a MEC Sizemaster mounted to LEE bench plates, some, well, lots of welding required!

Banned

This is a dedicated Ultramount, but looks like this. As mentioned, I use the Quick change plates to mount presses etc.

Ultramount for LEE Classic Turret

$75.00

Classic Turret 9 3\4" press riser system.

Super solid 3\16 steel construction, accessible lower storage tray and coated in beautiful black powdercoat are all features of this high quality piece of reloading equipment. Lifts your press up 9 5\8" to get that shellplate closer to your eyes. The Ultramount€™s modular design lends itself to fit just about any reloading press available today. So down the road, if you decide to change presses, or use one Ultramount for multiple presses, all you have to do is swap the top plate to the new press. The new top plates come powdercoated to match and include the required hardware to attach your new press.

Boolit Buddy
    if your space is at a premium I would go with the flush mount. Creates a cleaner surface but you do have to inlet a plate so I hope you have the thickness in the top
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master

The top will be nearly 3 inches thick, so I am good there.

Bench will be about 7 feet long, which would be crowded with presses, trimmers, and the like all mounted. This is why I would like the quick change.

Boolit Buddy
    I would definitely go with the flush mount then. I love mine
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Buddy

I have the Lee Bench Mounting system and the InLine Fabrication short Ultramount with the quick change plates.
    The InLine Fabrication system is the better of the 2. The plates have more space and you can mount just about anything on a custom plate.

You are going to need more space. You need another bench to take apart and clean your guns. Spraying oil and solvent everywhere. Can't share a room with all that.

Boolit Master

Reloading equipment is not meant to be put away like a child's toys. Let her get her own space.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

I have 2 Dillon presses permanently mounted on of my benches. Everything else is set up to be used with a Lee Bench Mounting System. I have a base plate 2 different benches. It works out well for me. I'm not crowded by equipment on either side of the one I'm using. Plenty of elbow room and bench space.

I haven't seen the Inline Fabrication set up. I'll have to check it out. The things that I have from them is first rate.
    Chuck

Banned

Dan is working on a new quick change plate for a use that will be too cool. Seriously excited to see it come out. I think there is merit to all the mounting systems. Lee, Pat Marlin, Inline Fabrication. I have over 15 presses, and 4 bench mounted primers, a vise, etc that all have quick change plates. I don't need or want to have all my tools out at one time. Sometimes I will put out my Big max and my 2 A2s for an RCBS power display. Sometimes I will mount 3 Lee Challengers in a row and run rifle cases down the line, charge/flair, seat, and crimp. Sometimes I wil put out 2 or 3 bench primers with different primers, LP, SP, and 209 and just prime. And so on and on. Lot of versatility.

Boolit Master
    I just mount all my presses to a 2x10 about 2-1/2 foot long, and clamp them to the table. When I'm done, I put the stuff back in the cabinet. My zip trim gets clamped on which ever press I am using.

Boolit Master

I'm a big Inline fan. I've got a Quickmount, not flush. I keep my Hornady SS, RCBS bench mount swager, and a bench vise on it. Saves a ton of space. My Hornady LnL AP is on a Inline Fab Ultramount and my Dillon 650 on a Strong Mount.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

Inline for me. They make the mounts in multiple heights to suit your bench. I didn't go w/ the flush mount because it sticks out from the edge. It's nice that it's flush to the top. But sticking out from the edge would create a hazard on both of my benches.

The ability to move presses between the benches was the deciding factor. I use one inside my house in the winter and the one in the garage during the warmer months. I also didn't want a bunch of holes drilled in the bench tops. Even w/ the same brand press, Lee, the holes aren't in the same positions. W/ the amount of presses I own there would be a ridiculous amount of holes in the bench.

Another great benefit to them is having a multiuse bench. There isn't enough room for me to have a dedicated bench. So unscrew four wing nuts and the mount and press are off my bench. Then I can use it for all the other projects around the house and for the automobiles. Buying the mounts was one of the best decisions I made.

Boolit Buddy
    You're sharing 800 square feet and you don't have enough room???? That's 20'x20';each. That's bigger than my first apartment!

My reloading is one wall of a 12'x16' room. 6' bench, cabinet on the wall for storage, besides the cabinet on the back of the bench.

Rest of the room is a Bport, 12"x39" lathe, 9"x18" South Bend lathe, and some kitchen base cabinets for more storage and counter space.

I had to buy a rolling 6 shelf metal storage rack for the overflow...

I just use a length of 2x6, or two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together, and mount the press on those. Couple of C-clamps to hold it to the bench.

One Loadmaster is elevated 9" above the bench on a DIY plywood deal. The other LM is on the plywood slab and clamped. That one I use for decapping and repriming, since that's the fastest way I have.

Boolit Master

My reloading room is often mistaken for a garage. I built a rolling table 4x5 ft and have the following on it:
    one end is RCBS Pro-Melt.
    other end is MEC shogun press
    sides have Lee single stage classic cast press and
    another MEC press and
    MEC shotgun shell resizer

There is enough weight on it that it doesn't move when anything is in use.

Garage has an overhang so can stay out of weather/sun when using it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Lol

Yep, the whole upstairs is over 800 square feet, but the hobby room is 12x14, plus a 3x12 closet.

All of my casting and sizing is done in the garage, so the new bench will strictly be for brass prep and loading.

As of right now, I have a rock chucker supreme that handles most of the loading tasks. I have a Dillon sdb for most pistol, a ch 333 for some tasks, several other presses that get used sometimes, and several case trimmers.

The plan is not to have the bench covered in holes again.

It looks like the general opinion would be to go with the ultramount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast