RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another cruise missile thread...

Another cruise missile thread...

Hi!

I got the cruise missile (170gr for 6.5mm) in the mail. I'm currently looking to find data for this bullet weight in 6.5X55mm now... These will be shot out of a krag carbine. I'm not trying to start another storm on the capability of this bullet but i need help to find a starting point to try to make it shoot (even if it dosen't work, the process is fun!!). I'm going to start with 18gr of IMR 4198 and i will try to send it at about 1500fps. Any ideas to help?

anyone?

Boolit Buddy
    A few of us have shortened the mold to produce around a 150 grain boolit. I found that the 170 did not fly straight from my swede M96. Much better with the 150 but I am only plinking at targets.

this i an option for me but not for the same reason , i'm unable to find data for this particular boolit...

Boolit Master

Kegcaissy:

Go to the below link and you'll see some suggestions on using Unique and 2400 with cast in the 6.5 x 55.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...400-for-6-5x55
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Can i just use the data in the sticky? Cast boolits in military rifles. It says that these loads are for military rifles from 7mm to 8mm...

Boolit Master

Here is a link to the 48th Edition of the Lyman Reloading book in pdf format:

http://www.j-how.net/test/Lyman%2048...lackatk%5D.pdf

Go the the book page 178 for 6.5 x 55 mm loads and you will find 140 and 150 grain cast boolit loads listed. I'd start with the minimum loads for the 150 Grain boolit and see how thinks work out for you.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I use 13.8 gr of 2400 with the 170gr cruise Missile. Works well for my needs.....
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master

I've managed to shoot several good groups with 13.0 gr. 2400.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Can i use something other than 2400? I don't have that powder on hands.

Boolit Master

Yes; rather than list all the things you COULD USE​, tell us what powder you have on hand.
    Mustang

This was at only 50 yards and just 5 shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5 cruise missile 005.jpg  
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Grand Master

Wasn't this a thread that ended badly for several members?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

i have Unique, IMR 4198, AA2495 on hands right now

Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    I use 13.8 gr of 2400 with the 170gr cruise Missile. Works well for my needs.....
    If you don't find a load for the powder you have I put a vote for the 2400--I load 14 grains to good effect for paper punching or ringing dingers @ 100 yards with that bullet, although I gas check mine just because I had the gas checks given to me and I'll never use them anywhere else.

Boolit Master

For many locations in the US, 2400 remains an "UNOBTAINIUM" element.

Kegcaissy:

In the case of IMR4198; I will refer you back to the Lyman Reloading Manual 48th Edition PDF I previously cited (Page 178 in the manual). It lists 18 grains of IMR-4198 as a start for the 150 Grain #266673 boolit. I would load (5) rounds at that weight of powder and start from there for your cruise missile to see what you get, then test up and down from there watching for any pressure signs (flattened primers for example).
    Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    For many locations in the US, 2400 remains an "UNOBTAINIUM" element.

Kegcaissy:

In the case of IMR4198; I will refer you back to the Lyman Reloading Manual 48th Edition PDF I previously cited (Page 178 in the manual). It lists 18 grains of IMR-4198 as a start for the 150 Grain #266673 boolit. I would load (5) rounds at that weight of powder and start from there for your cruise missile to see what you get, then test up and down from there watching for any pressure signs (flattened primers for example).
    This is exactly my plan. Alliant 2400 is overpriced here, i will use IMR4198.

Super Moderator

.............The "Cruise Missile" is actually a bit too much of a good thing for overall shooting, but DOES supply the option of being just about able to shoot through an 8' long 4x4 lengthwise

The above photo has 2 custom numbers in it. #1 Is an old Lyman offering (a HP in my example) and weighed 128 grs. The solid version would have run about 132 grs and was the basis for the "6.5mm Kurtz" ................

This was done a few times, including in Lee 6 cavity blocks. #2 Above was another Group Buy done here many moons ago by a member whose handle was Jumptrap. It's a 140gr slug which was done in a Lee 2 cav mould. #3 is a Lyman so called "Hi-Velocity" design which is no longer available. It dropped from the mould @ 153gr. It has been superseded by a similar weight slug having a different design. They deleted the lube groove on the bore rider, did away with the tapered front drive band, narrower drive bands and finally a more rounded nose. This one weighs ~ 153grs. #4 is obviously the "Cruise Missile".

The long and the short of it. Left is obviously the 132gr Kurtz alongside the Oldfeller Cruise Missile. I've got data for the CM but it's too late now to go get it. I'll try to get some data posted tomorrow. It won't be with any powder you listed tho'.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............The "Cruise Missile" is actually a bit too much of a good thing for overall shooting, but DOES supply the option of being just about able to shoot through an 8' long 4x4 lengthwise

The above photo has 2 custom numbers in it. #1 Is an old Lyman offering (a HP in my example) and weighed 128 grs. The solid version would have run about 132 grs and was the basis for the "6.5mm Kurtz" ................

This was done a few times, including in Lee 6 cavity blocks. #2 Above was another Group Buy done here many moons ago by a member whose handle was Jumptrap. It's a 140gr slug which was done in a Lee 2 cav mould. #3 is a Lyman so called "Hi-Velocity" design which is no longer available. It dropped from the mould @ 153gr. It has been superseded by a similar weight slug having a different design. They deleted the lube groove on the bore rider, did away with the tapered front drive band, narrower drive bands and finally a more rounded nose. This one weighs ~ 153grs. #4 is obviously the "Cruise Missile".

The long and the short of it. Left is obviously the 132gr Kurtz alongside the Oldfeller Cruise Missile. I've got data for the CM but it's too late now to go get it. I'll try to get some data posted tomorrow. It won't be with any powder you listed tho'.

..................Buckshot
    more data is really better than no data!

thank you sir

Boolit Master

Ran across another reference on the site here citing a load using Unique with the Cruise Missile. See Post #191.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-Load/page10

Unique seems to be easier to obtain than 2400 for many of us; so you might look at it as a slower velocity option.
    Mustang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast