WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A gas fired forge in the making

The thinnest wire I have is .03 Frank, and it wont go into the brass fitting but this is part of the unit that came from the suppliers in Australia. I bought the set-up but without the reguulator as I bought that here.
    http://www.artisansupplies.com.au/pr...-burner-bkit3/
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Wow! They didnt give that away did they

I think I can make one of the valve and burners . I made my own for bluing tanks years ago .

Thanks Garry !

Boolit Master

Dang Von Gruff, looking at all of your ongoing projects prove to me just how much sitting on my fat duff I'm doin!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Dang Von Gruff, looking at all of your ongoing projects prove to me just how much sitting on my fat duff I'm doin!

I was through seeing the gunsmith today and bought a stock blank home to build him a Lee Speed stok on for him so (thankfully) these little projects keep coming in.

I foundmout today that the gas burner kit I got from Australia is jetted for their bottle gas which is (aparently) 50% propane and 50% LPG which burns hotter than our 100% LPG so I will have to rejet the burner before I can fire up the forge.
    Von Gruff.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post

I was through seeing the gunsmith today and bought a stock blank home to build him a Lee Speed stok on for him so (thankfully) these little projects keep coming in.

I foundmout today that the gas burner kit I got from Australia is jetted for their bottle gas which is (aparently) 50% propane and 50% LPG which burns hotter than our 100% LPG so I will have to rejet the burner before I can fire up the forge.
    Ive read that mig welding tips work .8 or .9 size . Not sure if
    that works with your gas.
    Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    Ive read that mig welding tips work .8 or .9 size . Not sure if
    that works with your gas.
    Kev.
    I sent an email to Coran at Gameco in Sydney Bob, to ask so hopefully he gets back to me today.
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have any trouble getting the jets from Gameco give me a call and I will send you a mix.
    The energy varies a little from time to time with L.P.G. but not a lot.

Regards Trevor

I am in email contact with David from Gameco so will see how that goes. I have sent off few pics so he may have a solution but thanks Trevor. I will get back to you if needs be.
    Von Gruff.

I have had a very good email exchange with the head office in Sydney and it seems I have the wrong regulator. This was part of the email he sent to get the problem sorted
    Mate you have a BBQ reg attached to it, big problem there. But easily fixed. The BBQ reg should put out 2.75Kpa where as forging temp through a Bkit4 burner requires around 140Kpa depending on the build of the kiln. So you are just woefully under-powered, if you contact Kerry South at the NZ Gameco Branch she will be able to sort you out. You need an adjustable POL reg (max output of 420Kpa) and a hose to go between the reg/burner. I will send the hose over to NZ on a pallet on Friday.

I should be up an running by this time next week
    Von Gruff.

There was progress today with the forge bench done and everything set up so as soon as the new regilator gets here it will be all go.
    I took all my anvil parts down to the garrage and had it all welded together. After a bit of time cleaning up all the welds and splaters it was bolted to the stool top which will be bolted to the concrete floor but in all reality it is really quite stable.

Von Gruff.

I did a short video of it all sorted for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNiz...ature=youtu.be
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Buddy
    Looking Good, Garry!
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Good you got the problem solved with the regulator.Should be able to launch soon.With my lead melter ,using the bbq regulator it took ages to smelt large quantities of wheel wieghts ,I spoke to a gas fitter and he told me to run the gas ring straight off the bottle , it sounds like a jet engine ,and renders the wheel wieghts liquid metal in minutes .

I had thought of doing the same thing Bob but pleased to be able to get it set up the right way. I wonder if the regular hose I had, would stand the increased pressure of the non regulated gas as they are sending the correct hose to go with the increased capacity regulator
    Von Gruff.

I was talking to the supply outfit about the regulator (and to order another 8 ft of blade stock) and it should be here in the morning so the forge can get its first heat up. I had a batch of knives ground up so gave then a hand sand to 360 to be ready for the heat treat which I cant do for a couple of days as I have been helping a friend to shift house (to a town an hour away) so it wont be untill I get that sorted out that I can get back to the shed.

A boner, general hunter, 3 hunter skinners and a wapiti hunter. One of the hunter skinners and the boner are for me. I have a field scalpel and a light hunter (for myself) away being heat treated as it is in a SS (N690) which I cant do with my equipment.

Von Gruff.

Boolit Master

Sir if I may
    http://andersonforrester.com/conversion-chart/
    With this chart you should be able to get where you need to be for heat. There are 28 inches of water column in 1 PSI of pressure.
    Link to "How to check water column" http://www.hvachowto.com/2014/11/16/...-gas-furnaces/
    Hope this helps.
    Nice work on that anvil!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Things came together this morning when the regulator arrived and I could get back to the shed. It didn't take long to get things assembled and the forge fired up. I had an old pick that I will never use again so I cut one of the pick arms off so it would fit in the forge to see how long it would take to get to red heat. I turned the vodeo off just before it reached the heat as it is a bit boring but from cold it took about 7 minutes to get to heat so I plunged it into the oil quench tank to bring the oil to temp for quenching the blades I was about to heat treat.
    6 minutes of watching it heat up but for me it was interesting so this is the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cli...ature=youtu.be
    Von Gruff.

I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another order for one and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
    I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.
    I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another order for one and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
    I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwv...ature=youtu.be
    This was the blades after heat treating anf tempering
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Master

Looks like the forge is working very well, great job!!! Any idea how much gas by weight is being used?
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Not at this stage but have heard that there is about 8 hurs of forging in a 20lb bottle. I guess I will find out in due course.
    Von Gruff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast