WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own shooting range

Boolit Master

My own shooting range

So I got tired of the local range officers at the public shooting enforcing range rules that cause them to do just short of stop and frisk. There's also no ranges beyond a 100 yards.

So I did it....I bought 47 acres that are going to allow me to shoot rapid fire, murder renegade pumpkins and shoot a 1000 meters.

I'm going to put a steel barn on it to store my RV (small 29' class a), an ATV or UTV...not sure which. I'll also need some sort of bushhog/tractor.

Plan is to build a couple or three covered shooting benches, Bushhog and flatten out shooting and target areas, use the ATV or UTV to run around in and kick back and relax in the RV.

I may put in one of those prefab garden sheds they have at Home Depot and turn it into a protected 4 season shooting shack.

The property is about an hours and 20 minutes from home, which is just close enough. I retired about 3 years ago and I like to spend some time doing what I like to do, the way I like to do it.

I may have just become the crazy old curmudgeon.
    [

Boolit Master
    😎😎

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

congrats. Sounds perfect !

Banned
    You need to move on it. I live on 34ac & have 2 ranges 1,200 & will do some cat work to get 600 when I get off my butt.

Real nice to walk out the basement about 30' to the bench for a 100yd range, & just go about 100yds to the 200 & ultimately 600 yder.

Sure wish I could put 1k on it but its too square.

You'll really enjoy it.

Boolit Master

Sounds excellent, Keep up posted with some photos of the progress
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Sound great. As mentioned above, I moved onto my rec property.
    Best move ever.

Enjoy!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Congrats, AbitNutz, that is awesome.

Boolit Master
    Congrats - you are going to ENJOY that property..... gotta move to it. 1-1/2 hr is too far away. I walk out my back door, but it's only 50 yds, but it's still nice to shoot so close to home.

Boolit Master

OK, people! Don't ever think that shooting is a cheap hobby, even if you reload and cast your own boolits. But, I done the same thing myself and have no regrets.
    Congratulations!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Living the Dream!

Boolit Master

Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I kinda wish I could just pick up stakes and move there. The better half wouldn't have it though. She's more into making the grandkids feel entitled and as much as this is my dream, it may not be hers. I've come to realize that the house is hers, the basement and garage are mine. She deserves a nice retirement too. God knows she's put up with me for 40 years.

I'm a little concerned about security. My only protection is to insure the stuff that I have to leave there and making things very inconvenient to steal. I've already started making friends with the local sheriffs that patrol there abouts and make myself known to them. The good news is that there is only one road in and one road out. If I set up a few of those game cameras, there's no way to get by them unseen.

Since I'm retired, my schedule is going to be totally unpredictable. I can be there on Tuesday afternoon or Sunday night. There won't be any rhyme or reason to it. This should be year round too if I do my 4-season shooting shack, which I absolutely intend to....I like that idea.

Watch, I'll get complacent, let down my guard and get cleaned out. Then I'll check the game cameras and see beautiful color pictures of my brother-in-law.
    [

Does the property have a hill or valley? Run your driveway so it goes over the hill or makes a turn or switchbacks into the valley. Put a solar powered keypad entrance gate in. On either side of the gate run about 100 feet of barb wire fencing. That way when someone looks up your drive there won't be anything to see, it will all be hidden behind the curve in the drive or hidden behind the hill. And should they think about getting in then they have to think about how to deal with that auto close gate to get out.

Boolit Master
    Maybe invite the deputies & their families to use your range & maybe even do some camping there somewhere. Then you have a few folks who would have a interest in keeping the riffraff out that are pretty local & the word will likely get out that they are the ones who hang out there. Kind of making your own security backup for when you are not there. Heck, they may even put it on a patrol list & check on it quite regular then.

Anyway, Congrats & G'luck! I wish I had something like that.

Boolit Master
    Put your cameras in bird houses.

Befriending the local LEOs is also a great idea.

You might even reach out to the State and/or FEDs?

You could get lots of brass and they might let you pet their toys!

There are gunsmiths around that work expressly with select LEOs and individuals in high security work. A local smith does just that and finding property that fits his needs is always a concern. (I am buds with his father, you better believe we are talking!)

Enjoy

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-13-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Get liability insurance if you intend to let others use it. BTW, that can be a good idea as they will look out for you.

My home is on 20 acres and I have a 100 yard range set up. I bought an old camping trailer for $100 a few weeks ago and will use it for storage of rests, targets etc. I may set it up as a shoot shack for deer hunting as well. Whatever you use as a shoot shack, mice will be a problem. I am starting with a few bags of mothballs to try to keep them out. You can build an effective mouse trap with a 5 gal pail and 4" of RV antifreeze (needed for winter) - search for it....but you will be surprised at how many you catch if you are gone for a while.

My neighbor has a tractor. He uses my range and I get to use his tractor whenever I need it. I top his tank with diesel whenever I use his machine.

Good luck.
    Don Verna

Perma-Banned
    BLM supplies my range.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	195427

Boolit Master
    I'm so envious.

With all that work your fixin to do...when the heck were you going to shoot? . . .
    Well at least you can cary a sidearm while doing the tractor work and shoot at something to keep the anxiety down till finished!
    I have a pistol range and was planning the install of my 100 yd. this summer but...and there's always a butt...but my daughter is getting married here next spring and my honey-dooo list went off the chart! No 100 yarder this year unless Santa drops it off!

Ole curmudgeon fart slinger retirees just cain't win!

Best of luck, I hope it turns out better than planned...ain't it wonderful to have something to dream on?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Congratulations. I have the family farm to shoot on. I invite others there because I am thankful to be able to have a place to shoot other than a public range, and I want to bless others the same way i've been blessed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast