Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: FFFG in a Pedersoli rolling block

Boolit Buddy

FFFG in a Pedersoli rolling block

I'm new to black powder and inherited some FFFG. I know 45/70 is usually loaded with FG or FFG. Any issues using FFFG?

Boolit Master
    less accurate more recoil. you would be better served buying a cap and ball pistol to use the 3f or a small bore muzzle loading rifle. no down side getting another gun now you have a reason.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    less accurate more recoil. you would be better served buying a cap and ball pistol to use the 3f or a small bore muzzle loading rifle. no down side getting another gun now you have a reason.
    This is truly shocking to learn. Steve Baldwin and Doc. Lay both have won the NRA national Creedmoor Championships using Swiss FFFg in their 45-90's. Doc. used it when he won the American Creedmoor Cup as well.

I have a nice match load using FFFg for my 45-70. Very good extreme spread numbers and small SD. Don't rule out FFFg.

Back in the late 1990's using the best lots of 2F Elephant BP, velocities were so slow that even though the ES numbers were good the vertical impacts at rams (500 meters) were too great to be useful. Using 3F Elephant was a way to narrow that out some on the long yard lines.

You did not say what brand of FFFg powder you inherited. Brand is more important than granulation. Old 3f Kik would be poo poo. Minden era GOEX or any Swiss would be good to start with.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I use 65 Grains of fffg Vesuvit LC for my 45.70 Pedersoli Sharps Silhouette rifle,a CCI Primer a Card and a Lubed Postel Bullet.The Bullet has a Bore riding nose which allows me this load when the Powder is compressed 3/16ths of 1".Vesuvit is a good quality Black Powder we have taken to over here.
    I do not crimp my Brass,this will preserve them for many loadings.Crimping is not necessary for single shot rifles unless you intend to carry your Ammo in Belt LoopsI have taken to wiping out every Three shots using Ready mixed Windscreen liquid to slightly dampen squares of thin Felt wiping cloths.
    Last edited by Col4570; 03-14-2017 at 02:48 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    So, experiment and see what happens it is.

Boolit Master
    never worked for me. I always got the best from 1f.

Boolit Master
    I use 3FFF swiss and my shooting partner used it to win the Texas state match last year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    I'm new to black powder and inherited some FFFG. I know 45/70 is usually loaded with FG or FFG. Any issues using FFFG?
    No issues with Goex FFFg in my 45-70 RB with 500 grain cast boolits. You may have better results with others but your 3F won't hurt anything.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with 3f in my .45-70 with 330 gr. h.p.boolits . Good hunting load very good accuracy.

I've used GOEX 3fff in my 34'' 45-70 Shiloh and was very accurate ! and thats behind a 500gr cast boolit! my 45-60 also does well with the 3fff
    and a 300gr cast boolit

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !